Illinois here I come

SmallJaw

This coming Saturday, the 3rd of November will find me, my son and brother on I-65 heading for glory land. Well, not that kind of glory land but the glory land of deer hunting. We go to the Shawnee N. Forest every year for a week and bowhunt. This year the rut looks to be early and we are leaving a week earlier than usual. I'll post pic's if we get anything. We usually can get at least 1 good one between us in a week of hunting.:very happy

racerx

Sounds great just got back from there and will be down this weekend,i have a cabin in Pope county on Rock Rd,where do you guys go when your there?

bc's xtb21

I've been hunting Pope county for nearly twenty years Smalljaw, I live in Madison and people don't realize that have never hunted up there what a difference it is.i hunt Alabama and Tennessee a lot but they don't compare. Weve killed some real food bucks up there. Good luck on your trip, we are heading up next week. We used to do the bow and gun hunt both but good Lord those licenses have gotten ridiculous...

njj502

Dad stuck a big one bout this time last year in the central part of the state, he went just shy of 230 dressed! Good luck!

SmallJaw

I've been hunting Pope county for nearly twenty years Smalljaw, I live in Madison and people don't realize that have never hunted up there what a difference it is.i hunt Alabama and Tennessee a lot but they don't compare. Weve killed some real food bucks up there. Good luck on your trip, we are heading up next week. We used to do the bow and gun hunt both but good Lord those licenses have gotten ridiculous...
Man I apologize for being so late replying. I didn't even see where there was a reply to my message till tonight. We hunt the Shawnee area between Golconda and Rosebud. It is tough hunting the public land but we have been blessed to have taken a few pretty good ones over the last 10 years. This year the 6 pointer I shot was big bodied and not a bad buck for what he was. It was the only mature deer we saw come by our stands all week. That was really not the usual for us. But it happens. Where abouts do you guys hunt in Pope?

Attachments

SmallJaw

Nice buck, Smalljaw!
Thank you for the compliment. He broke a brow off or he would have had 7 pts. It was a tough hunt for the big boys this year. Saw a lot of 2 year old's with potential though. If they survive till next year we'll see a few better deer no doubt. I'm going to take it easy for a few weeks and then hit the club in Selma for a few hunts. I have not hunted down there yet and from what I hear from the members there are some real good deer moving already. Nobody is shooting yet since it is a trophy managed club. I'm new to the club, but they all think there will be some real slobs killed in January. Maybe I'll be one to take a slob!:smile