Is 150 hp allison grand sport enough power?

Dean7576

Hi, I am new to the allison forum, I have been researching checkmate, donzi, scarab, baja. Looking for a 18 to 21 ft hi perf for exploring the chain of Lake Huron islands from cedarville/ hessel Michigan and the east west bays of Lake Michigan at traverse city mich as well as inland torch lake . Cruise at 40 to 60 is fine. Would an allison grand sport handle 1 and 2 ft chop as well as a 20 ft baja outlaw or 18 donzi ? Is a 1996 grand sport with 150 hp at $18000 reasonable price ? Also found a 2000 baja hammer 21 ft with under 200 hours priced at $18000 .Thanks Dean

Dean7576

:)Thanks pkstv, I also like the reported fuel efficiency of the allison boat vs the others. The engine listed with the boat is a 2002 v6 2.5 150 hp. Listed as an optimax saltwater edition . I did not know the engine could be both optimax and saltwater ? .is this a good model of merc? Just read on another forum that the impeller needs annual change. Overall I think the maintenance will be less than an I/O v-8. Dean

Honda92

And with the grandsport if you ever got bored with it after awhile... You could throw a 225 promax on and it would be like a whole new boat

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 20' Allisons will go thru good sized water but you don't wanna be stopped in it. Waves come over the back very easily when stopped if you're talking true 1-2 footers. Keep in mind, some peoples definition of 1-2 foot waves are quite different than others. If you plan on playing in bigger water regularly I wouldn't recommend the GS. Pm aaronmt on here, he had a GS and we used to run the Puget Sound by Seattle all the time.

Dean7576

;)
The 20' Allisons will go thru good sized water but you don't wanna be stopped in it. Waves come over the back very easily when stopped if you're talking true 1-2 footers. Keep in mind, some peoples definition of 1-2 foot waves are quite different than others. If you plan on playing in bigger water regularly I wouldn't recommend the GS. Pm aaronmt on here, he had a GS and we used to run the Puget Sound by Seattle all the time.
Thanks silver bullet, The allison does sit low at the stern with very little freeboard on the sides . I can envision waves swamping the boat if stopped . I may want to make a few round trips from hessel mi to mackinaw island or traverse city to Suttons bay , harbor springs etc. , in good weather / water conditions and think the larger slower boats would be safer for that if the " rollers " came with the wind. Need for speed vs practical use. . Maybe a 20 ft powerquest viate or the baja hammer . Dean

Kchanenberg

ive always wanted the baja hammer ever since it came out... if i didnt want the all around cruise and fishing boat i would be looking for a hammer for sure...

flying07

GS's take a wave nice, but you gotta be moving and going into them. If doing that, great ride in mine, i was super impressed how well it took a wave my first season with it! but if you are stopped, different story for sure, as that back and sides get low back there haha. I actually looked at a GS with a 150 prior to buying mine, i'm honestly glad i went with a promax for the speed, but i'm on smaller water and can get her moving. Actually, wish i had a 280, the speed is addictive!!

procomp

I cant imagine how boring a GS would be with a 150 but I guess its whatever a person is use too. As mentioned, great boat but I suspect within one season your looking for more power. Good luck.
A 115 yikes? Did it take half the lake to get on plane?

whipper

All great points. I was also looking at the Hammer before I bought my GS. I can honestly say Im so glad I bought the GS. Ive been out in every type of weather with mine. SNOW, 70mph wind chopped large lake,wake boat infested hot summer lakes, Flat calm small lakes, Big swells big lakes ect.. I look at it this way. For the amount of times Ive {accually} needed a bigger boat i still would have been the only dummy out on the lake anyway. :rolleyes: An example. a few years ago I was out on a 80 mile long 2 mile across lake. The wind started to pick up and every one was heading to shore. I was 20 miles from my cabin. i though oh shitt, the swells were very large i have no idea but big. Maybe 5fters at least? i couldnt run straight into them because the span was to narrow . The stern would barly clear the back and the nose was spearing the next one. I was getting wet! i noticed there was a clear trough if i went down the barrel of the swells. i turned side ways and gunned it down the trough and when there was as good a spot to jump over into the next trough i would. I have never has so much fun as I did playing around in that crap. I made it back and they were going to send for a search party for me because a 30fter went down in that!! haha They are so manouverable and quick is what saved me. In a boat that couldn't react as fast or with a shallower vee i would have sunk for sure. Ive gone down the lake at 55mph in some pretty rough water easy 1+ ft wind chop passing way bigger boats that couldn't keep up. Raced a 22ft cougar with a 502 in nasty water and I pulled away {slowly} from him for over a mile. He said he was spearing the waves and could go any faster. I was skipping across the tops.

The only time i wish i had a bigger boat is for wake boat wakes. they drive me nuts!! But i guess they drive any boat nuts. haha cross chop sucks!

Im not so sure the Baja will be any smoother than the GS? GS is narrower so better for chop with a 24 deg deadrise.. If the water is so bad that you dont bring out the GS chances are no one is going to be out there ive found. Ive also come back in from the lake when its rough then went straight back out in a buddy's 21ft Trophy fishing boat. At 30mph the GS is way smoother. I think what happens is you always are doing 50-80 mph in a GS. Then at 50 you think its rough. but if you slow down to 30 or so its darn right soft riding even the wake boat wakes. Hammer more feeboard but Ive never found the GS to have to little. Speed for speed the Allison will be a much smoother riding hull. Allison is like driving a Ferrari or a Lambo. Hammer like driving a boat.:D

whipper

Hi, I am new to the allison forum, I have been researching checkmate, donzi, scarab, baja. Looking for a 18 to 21 ft hi perf for exploring the chain of Lake Huron islands from cedarville/ hessel Michigan and the east west bays of Lake Michigan at traverse city mich as well as inland torch lake . Cruise at 40 to 60 is fine. Would an allison grand sport handle 1 and 2 ft chop as well as a 20 ft baja outlaw or 18 donzi ? Is a 1996 grand sport with 150 hp at $18000 reasonable price ? Also found a 2000 baja hammer 21 ft with under 200 hours priced at $18000 .Thanks Dean
Hears one that sold as an example of a great combo with a great motor!! So for just a few grand more Im sure your getting 10 grand more boat!! http://forum.allisonowners.com/index.php?threads/2004-allison-grandsport-xs2003.16620/

18 with a 150 seems a bit steep to me. Ill sell you my GS for 18000US 2000 with a 225PM tandem trailer. Needs rear seat covers 500 bucks. You can do better than that!

hirk

Yup pricey, that 150 will run maybe 75 and thats if its over propped due to the limiter and the reg. opti not being particularly strong for a 150.

whipper

Keep looking for a GS they really are one of the best 20fters you can buy in a sport boat. As mentioned 100% composite no wood to rot fasted best handling,roomiest sexiest,fastest sexiest. Oh i had to say that again. :rolleyes: Find one with a 225PM or 225X or 200xs. Youll have a 95-100 mph boat that gets to 90 in a real hurry! You will be doing 80 before the Hammer gets on plane! Thats fun!! The only other Vee bottom with the same power and size that will ever beat you is another Allison. If your boating in protected waters youll be just fine. If not then you will need to bigger boat than a 20 or 21 if your concerned about it. 22-24 with a 300xs. I would stay clear of inboards for cruising long distances. You cant beat outboards for long range cruising in this size range. If you have deep pockets for fuel then go for it. Also wintering an inboard is harder than an out. you should be able to find a nice GS with one of those motors mentioned for 18 or less.
Dont let the year of a GS fool you either. A 92 GS is the same as a 2016 GS. The only two things to look for are the seats because they wear over time but Allison can replace the originals. And the Gel-coat from sun fading. The hulls should be structurally the same as they left the factory with proper care for a life time.

im really really biest and cant own any other boat than an Allison having had so many other boats before that wore out or got water logged. For me there simply the best boat money can buy. The new 222ft grand sport is the boat i will wait for. at any price it will be the last boat i buy. Mine will be for sale then. Everyone loves there boat. i have nothing to say about persons choices in boats we are all boaters. But when you really get down to it and study the lines and workman ship of Allisons you realize they are not just a boat but a work of art!;)

Last edited:

Dean7576

Thanks to all of u for the info. YES , I really like the allison grandsport. Is there a current production engine that is under 440 lbs that will put out 200 + hp ? I like the idea of fuel injection and an engine warranty . Seems like most of the mercs are rebuilt older engines. 75 - 85 mph will be fast enough . No fishing planned . Also like the 4 or 5 seat quarter shot I just saw on scream and fly. It is a cat or tunnel ? Should be stable alongside an allison until it gets up to 120!!!! No deep pockets and it was $27500 . What do the biased allison folks think of the quarter shot boats? T 4 model

Attachments

Last edited:

Dean7576

As far as liking a Quartershot , I'm sure it's a very fast boat and doesn't take much to get big numbers . But that's a long way from what you asked us in your post "cruis at 40to 60is fine". .two ft waves in a QShot would soak or drown you ! Hope you find A BOAT !!
Thanks pkstv, yes I am all over the many different boats. I just started researching the fast outboards as I have previously had a Chris craft 238 concept cuddy with an I/O . Now I see there are manyothers to look at. Super boat , 21 ft intimidator etc. good thing I have until spring . I appreciate your input. 60 to 80 mph now appears much better than 40 to 60 when looking at the outboards instead of inboards. Dean

whipper

Thanks to all of u for the info. YES , I really like the allison grandsport. Is there a current production engine that is under 440 lbs that will put out 200 + hp ? I like the idea of fuel injection and an engine warranty . Seems like most of the mercs are rebuilt older engines. 75 - 85 mph will be fast enough . No fishing planned . Also like the 4 or 5 seat quarter shot I just saw on scream and fly. It is a cat or tunnel ? Should be stable alongside an allison until it gets up to 120!!!! No deep pockets and it was $27500 . What do the biased allison folks think of the quarter shot boats? T 4 model

As said all boats are Awesome!! But unless there is no wood at all in them I for one am not interested. just had a bad experience with rot before for me. The Quatershots the STV the Tallon,Cougars are all nice tunnels. Love them all just not as much as most Allison's. ill take a RR or a 260 SS before those boats any day. Power for power none of them will be quicker stock . To each there own of course. If its a motor with a warranty your after you can run the GS with a 250xs,there are lots of guys running them. Its over 440lbs but the GS seems to handel just fine with one. Being over 20ft there is no restriction as to the power you can put on them. Allison heeds that the design of the hulls were made to accomidate lighter motors and if your buying a new allison he wont be resopsable for your death if you put an engine that weighs over 440lbs on her. With that in mind its really no differant with the Quartershot,STV or Tallon. All were designed around the 2.5 but that doesn't stop guys from hanging what ever they want on them. There not going to be as fast with the 300xs as with a S3000 on the back but guys seem to like them that way as do the allisons with those motors also. So its really just person preference and what your intended use and budget is.

whipper

Thanks pkstv, yes I am all over the many different boats. I just started researching the fast outboards as I have previously had a Chris craft 238 concept cuddy with an I/O . Now I see there are manyothers to look at. Super boat , 21 ft intimidator etc. good thing I have until spring . I appreciate your input. 60 to 80 mph now appears much better than 40 to 60 when looking at the outboards instead of inboards. Dean

Another boat i would look hard at is the Tuff21 with a 300xs package. They very close to the GS but have a little more freeboard and almost as fast. they will do 100 with a 300xs. they can smooth out a little bigger water also. But that is the only other Vee hull in this size range I would consider since Mark at tuff wanted to make an efficient hull like an Allison only a little larger for bigger water. Top shelf boat like Allison. I like what the Progressions have to offer as far as performance but not a fan of the Style. Mark pays more attention to detail like Darris in that regard. Tunnels scare me because they can flip over thats all i have to say about that. haha i like to run the ragged edge and in a tunnel... well ya like em or ya dont. Bow space in a Vee is nice to have also. Check out Dirkpits Orange Tuff on Scream and fly. Hes got lots of pics of her. She has an e-tech on her and looks fantastic!! Hes running 93 or so so far.

Last edited:

whipper

If your looking at tunnels this would be the again the only one I would buy. 21 Skater with a 300X sweet package and a far price on this one. it will do what your looking for also. i wouldnt go Quartershot in the water you were talking about. Skater or 21 Trick. I think the trick is a little faster and also very well built for the rough stuff. Both great cop running tunnels over the Quartershot or STV. Again not as fast as an Allison but still very respectable and bigger water boats. http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1991-skater-21-powered-by-mercury-300-x-o62708.html If ya really want to get into the rough stuff The 24 Skater is a good option like this one also. http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?311122-24-Skater-fresh-water-excellent-condition-18-998

There are countless options. But only one Allison. haha BTW Allison's tow easier and take up less room do what is needed and maintenance free. I love the Allison SS !!you want fast great all around sexy run faster than anyone and seat 4 thats the way to go. 110+mph and gets to 100 faster than you can shack a stick. 549288vp9308871.jpg

mikesufka

Don't forget about 28 Skaters .....

Whipper - let me know when you're ready to sell .... I always wanted a yellow Allison.

BTW - the first Grandsport and second Allison I ever drove was a yellow Grandsport - some tool named Scott Gilmore owned it - lol