Is 150 hp allison grand sport enough power?

flying07

This is a fun thread. I bought my first 'perfornance' boat this last year. I did some looking, but everyone said an ally is unlike any other. So I found a flawless GS, buying without ever seeing one in person, let alone driving one!!!! And then I tried to drive it, wow, knew it would be hard, but damn, almost sold it!!! Then one day it hits the pad, oh that feeling of the first time, magical!! Then one day it flew 80, holy sweet! Then 90, yes please! And after the lil 26 chopper repeatedly topped out 92.9, search for more has begun!!(30 et arrived yesterday hehe). Will I keep this boat for every, Nope. But will never regret saying 'I fly an Allison because I can!' If u love the spirit of speed, and the thrill of actually 'driving', you'll love the GS. If u want easy 'any body can drive wide open in it' stay clear. Motor wise, the women in our lives have been telling us guys for years 'bigger is better' go 225 and keep grinning as u are at 80 and have over 1000 rpm left

And I just rambled like whipper .... Haga

whipper

This is a fun thread. I bought my first 'perfornance' boat this last year. I did some looking, but everyone said an ally is unlike any other. So I found a flawless GS, buying without ever seeing one in person, let alone driving one!!!! And then I tried to drive it, wow, knew it would be hard, but damn, almost sold it!!! Then one day it hits the pad, oh that feeling of the first time, magical!! Then one day it flew 80, holy sweet! Then 90, yes please! And after the lil 26 chopper repeatedly topped out 92.9, search for more has begun!!(30 et arrived yesterday hehe). Will I keep this boat for every, Nope. But will never regret saying 'I fly an Allison because I can!' If u love the spirit of speed, and the thrill of actually 'driving', you'll love the GS. If u want easy 'any body can drive wide open in it' stay clear. Motor wise, the women in our lives have been telling us guys for years 'bigger is better' go 225 and keep grinning as u are at 80 and have over 1000 rpm left

And I just rambled like whipper .... Haga
Na i would call that a great story. :D Thats all Im going to say. Oh cant help myself. i like you bought sight unseen and never saw an Allison before. I flew to South Carolina and fell in love with her. Arranged transport to BC Canada and the learning began like you and most of us I think.;)

whipper

The bond with Allisons I would say is because you have to become one with the boat pretty much more than any other hull out there. Its incredible to me that Darris had the insite to realize that we would actually attempt to learn how to drive one of his creations. Think about that. hey I know Ill build a boat that no one can jump in and drive but if you can survive trying you'll have the fastest 20ft Vee hull in the world...:rolleyes: haha i wouldnt have it any other way. Well I would love to drive a boat like Sufkas new 28 twin Skater 100+++!! Thats another thing about these Allisons. We have the foundation now to drive any fast boat and feel whats going on at any speed. That experience is priceless!!;)

Lotus 50

150 would be fine for the GS until you ride in one with more HP. Iran a 150 XR4 on an SS2000 for a decade and it never felt slow. But now I have a 225PM and stepping back that far would be hard. Hotboat got 80 with a 150XR6 on a GS about a million years ago. Does the gearcase have a nosecone? Does the engine have solid mounts?

The DI motor would be great for range. It sounds like you can boat a long way.

procomp

Don't forget about 28 Skaters .....

Whipper - let me know when you're ready to sell .... I always wanted a yellow Allison.

lol
Tire kicker...............
BTW I checked out a sweet 28 skater with twin 300xs today in prior lake. You guys should hook up. Ill shoot you a PM

Dean7576

150 would be fine for the GS until you ride in one with more HP. Iran a 150 XR4 on an SS2000 for a decade and it never felt slow. But now I have a 225PM and stepping back that far would be hard. Hotboat got 80 with a 150XR6 on a GS about a million years ago. Does the gearcase have a nosecone? Does the engine have solid mounts?

The DI motor would be great for range. It sounds like you can boat a long way.
Yes solid engine mounts, Bob's nose cone. 20 inch mid section , Dean

mikesufka

Procomp - shoot me an email. I'd like to hear about the other MN 28.

MDS

procomp

True story: Had a GS with a 225PM (I think--probably had 4-5 different motors on that thing). Buddy of mine had never driven a HiPerf boat in his life, v or tunnel. He took it to mid nineties. He wasn't even a 'boat' guy. That old saw that no one can drive Allisons except Allison guys has exceptions. I was there.
I let 2 buddies try mine and they were run rail to rub rail at about 65 lol

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I let 2 buddies try mine and they were run rail to rub rail at about 65 lol
Yep, 65mph is the magic number that people have trouble with on mine too. I have made videos at 65 showing how easy it is but they just shake their heads. Once you get it you won't know what it is but driving becomes 2nd nature.

flying07

Yep, 65mph is the magic number that people have trouble with on mine too. I have made videos at 65 showing how easy it is but they just shake their heads. Once you get it you won't know what it is but driving becomes 2nd nature.
so true! i remember washing the sides at 62, few weeks ago, i let go of the wheel at 62 and it went straight for multiple seconds. . . i'm like 'how did i chine this thing so bad back then, it drives itself!' haha. . . then we all remember the first time on the pad, god i wish i'd get that same feeling again! now i do the 'get up, get up, get on that pad' as quick as i can haha