Is it possible?

G Allen

I have an older trophy 14.5x26 prop that worked well on my XTB, but when I put on a sport master fat shaft gear case it did not fit the fat shaft. It is not a flo torque hub type, Can this prop be converted to work with a fat shaft? Thanks.

Lotus 50

You could get it re-hubbed, but it might not be cost efficient. Maybe sell it and buy another 26 Trophy or something different.

G Allen

That's what I was afraid of. I put a fat shaft flo-torque hub in my Hydromotive 14 3/4/26, it works ok but the trophy had better bow lift and did a better top end at my high altitude waters. It has more trailing edge cup than the Hydromotive, ran about 200 rpm faster when my powerhead was a 150 going through a 2/1 coned preload gear case.

Now it's a 225 PM powerhead through a 1.87 sport master with fresh guts and the 'Allison cut" on the skeg that I got a little more than a year ago from John Gebhardt, deceased as of Christmas day... So guess I'll put that trophy up and use the money from it towards another prop, It's in good shape for how old it is. I'm thinking 350 plus the ride would be a decent price.

Don't have a 3 blade prop yet, was pondering a Hoss Triton 14 1/2/28 for a bit more top end and a tad more upper midrange fuel mileage. Or possibly a labbed 14 1/2/26 Mercury Pro Max for improved 4 blade performance over the Hydromotive. I'm not sure if the Lightning ET in a 14 1/2/28 will lift the front end of my Ulrex-equipped XTB enough.

Open to suggestions on these choices. I have not run very many props on my boat.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m thinking you should try a pro et or a promax prop. For where you normally cruise you may be impressed. I don’t think a hoss triton would do well on that boat the way you run, but I know they make a bigger diameter one, often seen on bullets I think, that may work well. Can you put up some pictures of the trophy’s hub you have? I agree, your best bet would be to just keep watching for trophies and they’ll pop up cheap from time to time.

ROBERT CROSS

Plus on the Trophy Plus, had a 24p that came with our first GS, very nice all around wheel. Great to learn on,

predictable and sooper hole shot.:D144861448714488

Ally03 200xs

Have you tried lowering your engine? If not, I would lower it in 1/8 to 1/4 inch increments until you get your bow lift back.

G Allen

Oh, damn it all! I just with that I could afford to buy props like I bought vintage vacuum tubes for my guitar amp collection. I have hundreds of those, I got them at bargain prices years ago. If I was rich I'd get all of the suggested wheels and call it done and sell what didn't work at some losses. But I'm too much of a poor-ass dirtbag ski bum to do that, and I loathe the idea of selling some of the valuable guitars I own out of my harem to buy boat props. Most of those guitars are becoming more valuable. In contrast boat props lose value over time. I will continue to do my research and will make a sensible purchase by ice out next spring. There is some time.

Maybe I just need to find me a rich widow to buy me a 300R, a new hydraulic jack plate, and a 5 blade CNC wonder wheel...

Sounds like a new country song needing to get written...look out Nashville!

Noooot!

ROBERT CROSS

When we got our first GS we stopped at Hydromotive in Twinsburg OH on the way home. I let Thom and Todd show me what was what with the Allison. I went with what they suggested for set-up and props. Did the same again after losing GS#1, Never looked back. Have three Q'S...:D
14 3/4" X 28 R QIV OT
14 3/4” X 26 R QIV OT
14 1/2” X 25R QIV X OT Round Ear

G Allen

On my boat, the Q4 OT 14 3/4/26 was clearly outperformed by a 14 1/2/26 Trophy for both bow lift and top speed. The Hydromotive does deliver good upper midrange performance. I'm not a hole shot kind of guy, I prefer to build speed gradually without breaking the prop loose as much as what happens when mashing the pedal to the floor. Thanks for the pics and your suggestions!

Lotus 50

Buying and selling used props is not terribly expensive, assuming you are smarter than me and sell as many as you buy. (I am accumulating props again.) So don't be afraid to buy a prop, try it, and then sell if it doesn't work out.

You could be to have Hydromotive work your 26 for more lift.

You could also buy my 26 Trophy Plus. Mint condition except for calcium stains that I can scrub off.

G Allen

Thanks for the info! Letting some paychecks come in for a while...so won't be buying anything until my visa card is zeroed out. Dreaming of being ready for WAR 2020 and getting ready to fish no matter what the weather does this time...gonna gird my loins for all weather battle. Have to also control my guitar GAS habit for this to work. I like having new toys. That rich widow idea sounds better every minute...hahahahaha!

G Allen

Update...bought a guitar and bought a used prop. The guitar is a 21 year old Heritage Roy Clark signature model that had barely been played, in pretty much showroom condition. I was thinking before it arrived that the reason it had not been played much was because the seller did not have it properly set up. When it arrived, I was right. The only thing right was the truss rod adjustment. 3 hours later I had it dialed in and for your guitar fiends imagine a very nice Gibson 335 sound and you have the idea. It was a fantastic value.

The prop is going to arrive in a few days, right now it's single digit temps outside, the XTB-21 is hiding under its cover. I found a seller that had a low hour lab finish ProMax 14 1/2 / 26 fat shaft hub. I'm pretty sure it will be a good one for my boat. If the winter keeps going well and the tip jar gets stuffed enough I might find something in a three blade to run as well. I will be selling both of my other props. One is a 14 1/2 /26 regular shaft Trophy and the other is a 14 3/4 /26 Hydromotive Q4 OT...both of those are in at least 7.5 out of 10 condition.

G Allen

Yes, you are right, great guitars can increase in value over time, like used 02's, 03's, XR's, GS's, 13's 16's tater chips, etc. have been doing for the last teens of years.

But guitars take less time to set up and dial in for top performance...and a few less dollars for uhhh.....sacks of parts.

Allison boats are cult items of the highest order. Even a relatively FNG owner can see that, much less the longer using, wiser ones. I sure can and I've barely been on the pad, much less on the drain plug. Bring a friend, show up at Shasta and pull yer ride from a longer distance than me. Gauntlet down...