Is this electrical diagram right?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
So here's what I've got...36v troller with what looks like this setup from what I can tell. However, when I got it, the red wire that is 'note 1' on the diagram was not hooked up. Before I noticed this wire was not on, I hit the troller and it did run. I tried hooking 'note 1' wire up and it arced real bad...however, the left battery in the diagram that the motor and boat accessories was hooked up to was dead (4v on my little meter). Maybe it was drawing back? I dunno. I've not tried again. For the time being I disconnected the troller and hooked up 1 good battery to make the boat run. Anyway, I was wondering if indeed this was the correct setup. It supposedly worked before I got it, but he put a 3 bank charger in and never ran it since. He says he probably accidentally left a wire off. Anyway, check out the diagram and lemme know what you think. Something just doesn't seem right, but I wanna see what others say about it to see if my thinking is correct...Thanks!

Brian

Attachments

Last edited:

Podge

just curious? Do you know why the previous owner wanted a 36 volt trolling motor
system? No need for one on an Allison boat. Can you change to a 24 volt and get rid of
a heavy battery?

aaronmt

just curious? Do you know why the previous owner wanted a 36 volt trolling motor
system? No need for one on an Allison boat. Can you change to a 24 volt and get rid of
a heavy battery?

That what im thinking myself.I dont see any reason for that many batteries,24v should be just fine.And a heck of alot easier.

SLOmofo

To get 36v use the top - wire that is hooked to the boat/engine battery. Use the "note 1" red wire as your troller positive. The plug isn't wired correctly for a 36v system, but looks OK for a 24v system. The plug was used for easy connection of a charger at the bow, for a 24v system.
What brand troller and is it a straight 36v. Early trollers were 12v or 12v/24v which is how the boat was set up to begin with. Current trollers are 12v or 24v or 36v.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a pic of the head. It does have 2 black and 2 red power wires going into it. I do agree I don't need 36v, but it is what it is, or will it work on 24?

Jessie

Are you sure that you need a 36 volt motor? It won't get full thrust with 24 volts. To get 36 volts: connect + post of #1 battery to - post of #2 battery, connect + post of # 2 battery to - post of # 3 battery,then connect black wire from trolling motor wire to - post of battery # 1, and red wire from trolling motor wire to + post of battery# 3.

J

John Richied

I believe Brian is rigging for the trolling motor races

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I traced out the plug wires on the bow plug and this is what I see...batteries are not hooked up, but the way the wires are, this looks like how it was...

Last edited:

FASSBASS

The original owner put it on the boat. It is overkill but we fished mainly current on the main rivers (James, Appomatox, Chickahominy, Pamunkey, and potomac river) On a long day fighting current and wind the omc 24v didn't survive. His rational was that the 36v would never die as it didn't need to pull alot of current to hold the boat in any conditions. He could go days without needing to charge . He never had to worry about it after that.
Be careful ,that thing will throw you out on high if its not straight . The original owner is a master electrican so it was right when he sold it to the man you got it from.