It's down for the count!

Bucketmouth

Well my 1991 Mercury 2.0 150 gave up a piston. Shut down on me then was able to restart it after a minute or two of trying to figure out the situation. Ran real rough after that. Took it home, ran a bore scope down it, seemed ok. Did a compression check, all good but the one that showed ZERO! Well, looked down the plug hole again, but closer. Am missing a chunk off the top and side of one piston. I did all the maintenance it ever needed and the only trouble this engine gave me was having the trim motor rebuilt for 40 or 50 dollars. I have owned it for 11 years. It was on a pontoon that a guy was upgrading and had been ran about 30 times in his 5 years of ownership.

OK, I don't want to put a 3 or 4 thousand dollar power head on a 3 or 4 thousand dollar motor. I am not going to mess with trying to fix it myself, the motor has served me very well and want to get something newer for my peace of mind. I was on jaco's website looking at new motor prices-shocker! I don't race my XB2002 and was so far after a year happy with my lil' 150. They list an XR6 150 for $7145 and an EFI 150 for $8392 and an EFI 150 XL for $7692. What are the differences besides the XR6 being a carbed motor? Not ready to jump up to a 225 quite yet, I have other things to work on and I have the funds for an immediate purchase on one of these motors. So what would you guys get? I know a 280, ha ha!

And one more thing. What to do with a motor with a bad piston? What's the bestt way to get rid of it besides lighting it on fire, running the lower unit into a rockpile and calling the insurance agent?

Thank you gentlemen in advance!

Brett

XXXR2001

What's the bestt way to get rid of it besides lighting it on fire, running the lower unit into a rockpile and calling the insurance agent?
Part it out and sell it piece by piece if you're trying to get the most $$$. If you just want it gone, put the whole thing on ebay.

P.S.: That boat would be a LOT more fun with 200+ hp.:smile

Blue Gray in PA

I like the idea of a fire but that's because I'm a pyromaniac - just make sure the boat doesn't get caught up in the flames. If you decide to go cheaper, I've got my 1992 150HP Mariner on a shipping skid that could go for $3500 if you change your mind about buying newer.

mtolley

sell your motor to T-rex! he needs all the parts to keep his 2.0l going. since i have a 200 on a xb2002 i can say its a lot of fun! mt

john w

i had a 200 merc xri stock with a nosecone on a 89 xb2002 light hull. a lot of fun to drve. i really think thats all ya need is a 200 hp. keep it stock and it run forever. 28 or 30 chopper or hoss or srx 29 pitch. should be close to 90 mph.