lean to the right?

waterskipper

So @ about 95 mph on GPS my SS seems to lean over to the right what m I doing wrong? I'm about a quarter below the pad. With a 28 yammi drag.

David Shook

My bassboat leans a little to the right at the 118 to 120 mark , so I lean my *** over to the left and it levels right up and then hit the trim?
Shook

propmanjay

At 95 My SS is just starting to lay down. I am just starting to bump the trim at that point. I don't have any issues leaning right at 95 though. I agree with Patches that they are very weight senitive, at least the light one's are. I may be a chicken shait but I won't trim mine when it leans right.

spanky

how much torque tab do you have on your skeg? too much will cause a lean to the right.

Mr. Scary

50# on the left hand side is typically what it takes. The GrandSports are the worst and sometimes need 75#.

waterskipper

Does this lean mean I'm close to a blowout? Other the the wieght on the left side any thing else I should look 4 in the set up ?

GFinch

" When you are sitting in the boat at rest, it should be in a level attitude from side to side. If not, it will try to run on the side of the boat instead of the center pad."

Paraphrasing. If you slightly cock the steering wheel to flatten the boats attitude you cause the gear case to crab. This creates a vacuum on one side of the gear case which can cause "blowout".

"The result of blowout can range from a noticeable drop in the bow attitude and loss of speed to total loss of control and a violent hooking maneuver."

Quotes from The Little Red Book.

Fun stuff!

ALLISONMAN

you should always have a little more weight to the left!! the prop is tryong to pull the left up while pushing the right down therefore you need a little more weight on the left side when you get up on the bump on the pad!!!!

Wicky

you should always have a little more weight to the left!! the prop is tryong to pull the left up while pushing the right down therefore you need a little more weight on the left side when you get up on the bump on the pad!!!!
I've always wondered why the drivers side isn't on the left hand side because of this?

GotMyAlly

I've noticed the same thing. I always load mine a little heavier on the left side. A cooler full of ice and drinks on the left side is about perfect, all else being centered. It'll lean a little to the left at rest and at low speeds, but over 90 it floats perfectly level.

ziemer

A-Man, I think you got this backwards. A prop turning to the right will push the boat the opposite direction. I've seen a few drag boats that have an actuated trim tab that sits at the left rear. :beer:

Bill Kemp

i may be wrong but i thought that a standard rotation prop lifts the right side and pulls down on the left side i know that i have to run more weight on the right side of the boat (right hand side when seating in the driver seat ) but i have a omc 12/24 troller mounted on the left front side boat runs level over 90 but leans to the left at low speeds untill i trim to around 3 on the trim guage

citabriatom

EVERBODY is right!This is because of a phenomenon known as the P-factor,also known as asymmetrical thrust or asymmetrical blade effect(help me out here fellow fixed wing pilots).In a boat,if the motor has negative trim for launching,the descending blade has more bite than the ascending blade,thus the boat wants to turn left and lift the right side.At neutral trim,the forces are equal.If your boat needs positive trim,the boat will want to turn right and lift the left side.This is not as pronounced as you use a lot more negative trim for launch than positive for top speed.If you goggle "P-factor",there is some interesting,if not a little complicated,reading on this.