Leaning left

Lotus 50

My SS2000 has lalways leaned left coming onto a plane. Once I add some trim it levels out. I ran it fast today for the first time with a worked 28 Trophy. At around 70 it started leaning left again. So I bumped the jackplate up until it flattened out. Then I floored the throttle and it ran good to 93. That's my personal best - if a cell phone GPS can be trusted.

At any rate, should I have moved my seat over to the right for balance instead of raising the engine? Is a left lean a sign that the engine is too low?

Thanks

Rick Propst

Lotus are you side steer or center steer, if you are side steer than you will have to add alittle weight to the port side if your are center steer there is weight on the port side that you will need to move to the center,,, my ss i had the battery infront of fuel tank and if i had my little cooler on either side it would lean to that side above 90mph and im talking about a little cooler that would hold about 8 drinks

dubmoney

If I am thinking correctly your experience makes total sense, and I would say that my boat acts exactly the same. When you are trimmed down there is more prop in the water, and the torque of the motor wants to twist the boat. Imagine if you were to hold the prop still, the boat would want to roll to the left. I am running my motor as high as I can and still get water pressure, when I stand on the gas from a stand still, if I am not on the trim right away the boat will slam down on the left side. The first time it did this I was pretty impressed, if you watch some of the drag racers you will see them fight the same physics. I would be careful bumping the jack plate, I have a hydro jack plate, and I add aluminum blocks, that limit the motor from going below the level I want, that way I know exactly where it is, I really only use it, when idling in shallow areas or getting on the trailer, and while trailering. Even, with the stainless Marine jack and trim gauge, it is not accurate enough to set the engine height will running anywhere close to precise enough to trust it at high speeds.

Lotus 50

Slide steering. Next time I'll try moving my seat more to the right. I put myself in the center, but there is the oil and battery on the left, so maybe that needs to be offset.

I had the engine a lot higher than usual. When I get the boat put away for the fall I can measure. Right now it's on an angle on a marine railway. Very difficult to measure.

SLOmofo

Sounds normal to me. Before I remade my trim system my boat would lay/flop on it's left side on acceleration till the trim caught up. Any time my boat leaned left, on plane, I would bump the trim button up.
Myself... I would find the correct running height with the jack plate and leave it there. Getting greedy with the height is a good way to get in trouble, so is the trim switch, I know I did. Again...myself I consider a hyd jack plate unnecessary extra weight compared to a set it and forget it jack plate.

Lotus 50

I run several props, 0-3 passengers, rough and calm water. I think my optimum jackplate position varies. Although, unless I'm running fast I leave the jackplate full down. With a 15" mid that's not too far below the pad.

xb03fs

Leaning to left unless severely out of balance means trim Er up buttercup.

Leaning right or a right bounce means tapper down

catfish123

Sounds normal to me. Before I remade my trim system my boat would lay/flop on it's left side on acceleration till the trim caught up. Any time my boat leaned left, on plane, I would bump the trim button up.
Myself... I would find the correct running height with the jack plate and leave it there. Getting greedy with the height is a good way to get in trouble, so is the trim switch, I know I did. Again...myself I consider a hyd jack plate unnecessary extra weight compared to a set it and forget it jack plate.
Very good advice from one who has experienced like I have the unfortunate results of getting greedy with the height. I have also gotten rid of my hydraulic plate that I had for YEARS, and gone to a fixed plate. I couldn't agree more than I do with SLOmofo.