Learned a lot about 200xs & Optimax in general

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I am running a last-gen 2006 200xs SS on a 1995 GSE. I put a Smartcraft on it last summer.

At that time, I was chasing down some electrical issues (ultimately it was the TPI) and so I bought the Merc shop manual.

A couple days ago, I'm out running under 4,000 rpm just leisurely cruising and BEEEEEP a continuous alarm sounds. The Smartcraft flashes a bell icon and a thermometer. Oh no, I'm thinking...overheat alarm. Which it was...although puzzling to me at the time and that's the reason I'm sharing this.

A quick cycle through the Smartcraft functions into engine temp yielded only 87 degrees...Now I'm really confused because the thermostats don't even open til 143F!

The motor also did NOT enter "guardian mode" (severely restricting rpm and power as a self-preservation feature) which I also noted as strange, if this was a "real" overheat.

I also noticed the tell-tale "pee stream" was no longer its usual laser beam affect; it was still present but curved and saggy.

I decided to risk it by opening her up in an attempt to get more water thru the system - this worked and the alarm quit, but whenever I slowed down, back to the beep.

Trailered the rascal. Consulted with Ace Merc tech friend who said that the tell tale is fed directly off the air compressor's cooling water flow output. Now...Coming from your basic 260, 280 and Drag motor 2.5's, the air compressor was something I'm not used to. It develops the pressure needed to inject fuel under the DFI operation. I also did not know it needs to water cooled.

I'll cut to the chase, a roadmap to troubleshooting it that fixed the problem and some facts gleaned from the service manual I'll bet many guys who run these motors are unaware of, as was I.

Fact 1: the 200xs uses THREE temp sensors, all constantly monitored by the ECM. They are the same exact part number and each will trigger an alarm if temp exceeds 215F. The locations are port side cyl head, starboard cyl head, and...compressor.

Fact 2: Smartcraft only monitors ONE of the three--port side cyl head.

Fact 3: ECM will NOT kick motor into guardian mode if compressor overheats....only either cyl head.

Using these facts plus a very impressive multi colored foldout water flow diagram from the service manual, it was easy to trace the flow backwards, but a lot different than the old school EFI's. For the relevant point is that the fuel rail injection coolers and the compressor cooler are fed serially by the same hose: an odd-looking affair that works by means of a 3" cylindrical water "strainer" that threads into the exhaust plate on the port side. You must remove the skirt to get to it.

These motors use a pressurized reservoir of water fed by block pressure to squirt water through this debris strainer, up a hose to the fuel rails, then into the compressor and after that, the pee hole.

I removed the strainer. Sure enough! Partially plugged with pieces of tiny sticks, sand, and mud. Cleaned by fresh water rinsing and compressed air. Simple! However, I thought, if this was plugged there may be more crap in that reservoir in the exhaust plate. What to do?

Here's where I went off-road with a redneck engineering plan.

I found me a fitting with same pipe thread as the strainer, plugged it up with a bolt, and hand-threaded it into where the strainer usually goes. I got out my infrared thermometer, as I had no desire to burn this motor up while executing said redneck plan.

Hooked her up to a hose and fired up. Monitored temp of both heads and compressor, the compressor now receiving no water at all. But the plan was to be brief.

Quick checks of temp with IR showed heads cool, compressor heating rapidly (97F after a minute) so I acted fast.

Reaching down to my home-made plug, I realized the net effect of this plan was not just depriving the rails and compressor with cooling water, but to build pressure in that plate reservoir. I rapidly unscrewed the plug with the motor still idling, and she puked her guts out into the driveway, consisting of small sticks, sand, scum and mud.

Immediately ran to helm and killed motor. Reinstalled cleaned strainer into now-cleaned reservoir. Reattached all hoses. Fired up. Laser beam pee stream back, temps all good, no more alarm, launched and ran for 30 miles, all is right with the world.

ally25

This strainer should be cleaned a couple time each season to be safe. more if you run in weedy areas. When I clean mine on a 250xs, I flush the cavity where the strainer is mounted by putting a water hose into flush port at back of motor and run water while using a stiff wire to help pull any debris out of the hole the strainer fits in. All Optimax owners should be aware of this strainer and procedure.

Dave Hensley

Hundreds of Merc techs starving in the world and everyone wants to be one......but I do love it when a plan comes together. We will all need to bring our green motor skills up to speed eventually.

whipper

Nice, so you basicly built up pressure without water as far as the temps you could tolerate then buy unplugging the plug with water on blasted a high pressure shot threw the system cleaning out the colon like eating a box of exlax?;) Could you hook up a high pressure hose and get the same effect or would that stress places and lines to much? Glad it worked out for ya!! Its nice when the world seems right again.
A little curious about what speeds the GS can do with a 28 pitch prop with the 200xs also?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Mine is limited at 6750 and produces 6300 at the max point of power, I get 85-87mph with at 28.

RedAllison

LOL yes, Hotprop is the "Darth Wrench" for many of us around here! ;)

Lou the gearcase you sent us the pic of lastweek that you did the 2 hole A-mod on, was that one on this XS?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
No RA, this one was original equipment on the 2006 200XS-SS and is bone stock.

FlatOut, no worries. I just had no idea how to take that. Yes, HotProp has helped me out of MANY a jam!