Let there be light! (XB21 headlight upgrade)

allimax

Like I said they put out great light.
More important than your light output is how you focus that light. Hella from Germany is king when it comes to lighting. When you put the HID bulbs in a housing not designed for them you throw a lot of scattered light where you don't want it and it's very hard for on coming traffic to see. The idea is to focus the light on the road and not where it will reflect back into your eyes when driving especially in rain, fog or snow. If you're going to run HID's in a non HID housing on the street I suggest you trade drivers with a different car, drive at them from the opposite direction and see how you like it. I've seen these from behind me and from all the way across the beltway (6 lanes and the medium strip) and its BS. Now put that same bulb in the properly designed housing and I'm fine with it because it's properly focused. I.E. Audi, BMW, Lexus etc.. Motorcycle guys, I feel for you but Hella makes single round light assembly's for older bikes, off road or boat, whatever, just remimber if something is coming at you, he probably can't see. LED's are great, different ball game.

allimax

image.jpeg Here, Hella H3 lights from Germany I imported for my one car. Lead crystal optical glass, not plastic. See how nice that top cut off line is, all the light is focused below hood level. The bulbs are normal Sylvania 9003, not silver stars or upgrades.

Allyfishing

, but a friend to crawl up inside the hull to put a nut on the back would be the best answer. You'll need to get up in there to mount the ballasts anyway (or take the bow depth finder out and reach through that hole).

YUP!!! I removed my bow panel and there is no way my arm will fit in there to reach the stock docking light assembly!! I'm gonna have to hire a little skinny midget to crawl in the rod lockers and HOPE that they are accessible from there. I can just reach enough to feel the threads on the housing and feel a large plastic nut that holds the dock light. But no way I can get a grip on it to unscrew it. dam!!

GotMyAlly

Luckily skinny midgets usually work cheap!

One nice thing about the prosport is the ease of access under the front deck. I can remove the passenger seat and belly crawl under the console all the way up to the nose of the boat.

Allyfishing

Luckily skinny midgets usually work cheap!

One nice thing about the prosport is the ease of access under the front deck. I can remove the passenger seat and belly crawl under the console all the way up to the nose of the boat.
I forgot about the access under the prosport deck!! dang. I'm trying to talk my wife into crawling in a compartment up front to see if she can even see it.

JETZ

I agree.
HID's belong in 'projector' housings. Putting them in a'reflector' housing just causes 'glare' to oncoming traffic. Easy to notice in most ricer Honda's, and a lot of Ram 1500's (in my neck of the woods) with both HL, and FL running HID's...glare city!

While 4300-5000K is pure white, and going to 8000K will go more blue. Some go crazy with 12000-30000k which produce a violet/purple output, and actually decrease the light output, but hey they're cool right?

As far as I know, HID's in a reflector housing isn't DOT legal.

More important than your light output is how you focus that light. Hella from Germany is king when it comes to lighting. When you put the HID bulbs in a housing not designed for them you throw a lot of scattered light where you don't want it and it's very hard for on coming traffic to see. The idea is to focus the light on the road and not where it will reflect back into your eyes when driving especially in rain, fog or snow. If you're going to run HID's in a non HID housing on the street I suggest you trade drivers with a different car, drive at them from the opposite direction and see how you like it. I've seen these from behind me and from all the way across the beltway (6 lanes and the medium strip) and its BS. Now put that same bulb in the properly designed housing and I'm fine with it because it's properly focused. I.E. Audi, BMW, Lexus etc.. Motorcycle guys, I feel for you but Hella makes single round light assembly's for older bikes, off road or boat, whatever, just remimber if something is coming at you, he probably can't see. LED's are great, different ball game.