life jackets and leg straps

GotMyAlly

How many of you guys with the lifelines actually wear them? And do you hook up the leg straps?

I am planning to buy a lifeline at some point this summer, just having a hard time coughing up the money for one. I know they offer better protection, but only if you wear it. The race jackets I've seen just don't look comfortable, and if it ain't comfortable I know I'll have a hard time making myself wear it.

And I just got one of the mercury hi-perf jackets for my birthday last week. I know it isn't a lifeline, but definitely better than the ski jacket I've been wearing. It's got the leg straps on it, but man those things are uncomfortable. Feels like if you got tossed and the jacket was actually yanked up, those straps could squish a nad. The jacket itself is comfy though.

Fl Boy in ILL

Leg Strps

If you wear the jacket then hook up the leg straps!!! I have been tossed out and the leg straps will keep it from pulling up over your head!! If i hadn't been wearing my jacket then I wouldn't be here typing this message.

Rick

GFinch

The leg straps keep the life jacket from creeping up around your neck while you drive.
My wife exited the boat once, the leg straps kept the jacket on correctly, also when I grabed the jacket to pull her back into the boat it stayed in place.
Gary

ziemer

Leg straps

Wear them.

Had a friend who was seriously injured when he was tossed out of his boat and some of his shoulder/neck injuries were most likely from the jacket being ripped over his head (no leg straps)

It was a ski type vest as shown above.

RB in NM

if ya got em' wear em'

I have been unbuttoned from a couple of boats I have had. Once with leg straps and twice without. The leg staps are a good idea on any safety vest at high speeds. They will keep the vest on you far better than without the straps. If you hit the water just right, a vest can come off, over yer head and shoulders easier than you may think. Even tho that is a super small chance, at the speeds we run at, is the chance worth it?
When i am running top end numbers or in a race, I wear my Lifeline Vest with leg straps. When just out fishn' when I know I ain't goona git too wild, I wear my regular vest without leg straps, but with the kill lanyard attached.
RB

GotMyAlly

I always wear the kill switch. I got tossed out of a small jon boat w/ a 9.9 once and watched it idle down the lake. No matter how good of a swimmer you are, you can't swim as fast as a 9.9 can idle. I'd really hate to come up and see my ally headed down the lake without.[/b]

GFinch

The problem is that a boat will come back for you again and again, usually with serious results!

Always wear your kill switch.
Gary

sanadaracing

Can anybody tell me why capsule jackets are not recommended
for NON-capusule boats??[/url]

Rocket

GFinch said:
The problem is that a boat will come back for you again and again, usually with serious results!

Always wear your kill switch.
Gary
Yes,, ALWAYS use your kill switch!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: (I've got a one legged friend because they didn't! :( I'll go into that another night!)

GotMyAlly said:
How many of you guys with the lifelines actually wear them? And do you hook up the leg straps?

I am planning to buy a lifeline at some point this summer, just having a hard time coughing up the money for one. I know they offer better protection, but only if you wear it. The race jackets I've seen just don't look comfortable, and if it ain't comfortable I know I'll have a hard time making myself wear it.

And I just got one of the mercury hi-perf jackets for my birthday last week. I know it isn't a lifeline, but definitely better than the ski jacket I've been wearing. It's got the leg straps on it, but man those things are uncomfortable. Feels like if you got tossed and the jacket was actually yanked up, those straps could squish a nad. The jacket itself is comfy though.

And ALWAYS, ALWAYS,,,, wear your life Jacket (with or without leg straps!)!! But,,, Leg straps will keep your "LifeJacket" were it belongs,,,,,,ON you! :shock: And saving your Life!! If you have ever hit the water over 40mph, then you will know that the Force of water is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Amazing!!!!! :?

We ALL want to be around,,, until we are too old to type! :wink: With or without Nads! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocket

Yellowallison

GMA.. Yes wear the leg straps......... I too got story from being pitch'd out and didn't have leggzz straps and once the splash was over.. I had to swim over to my jacket that got rip'd off over my shoulderzz.... which sucks.. cause if I been hurt I be 6ft under in heaven(which aint a bad thing)......

Yea that Mercury vest is good.. I bought one for my GF and passengers to wear.... cause of the leggs straps......

Also.. and wear ya killswitch......

Also.. a habit I gotten into izzz ... anytime I'm movin up on a plane.. I wear a jacket....... cause it always seems I start out running 30-35 and end up running 100+ before I stop again.. and i been haulin buttt before and look down at my jacket laying on the floor.. and go... YU IDIOT-- STOP and PUT yur JACKET ON! .. so now I just always put it from the start and then it always on.... Just my 2 censtzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GET R DUN!!! :roll:

Lane

Could someone please tell me where i can get one these mercury jackets with the leg straps. I have tried every dealership around my area and they can't get them.

Thanks