Little advice on ski pole

smiley88

whats up guys? I have a 1996 Allison gransport with a 280 15 inch MID. Was wondering the most efficient money saving way to add a ski pole to pull my brother on a wakeboard an my son on an innertube- without dragging rope on my cowl. I've checked with dana marine as I have read a lot of these forums and they said they only make them 48 inches but don't sell the receiver to put the poll in... is 48 inches high enough or are you guys using something taller more five or six feet?Also when I get the pole is there a kit to buy to mount it safe so it doesn't hurt anyone I'm pulling or mess up my hull? I love the way whipper is set up ....Thank you guys....

whipper

Its a very simple setup. If you don't all ready have the hole behind the back seats for it call Allison and get them to ship you there mounting hardware and get the Dana Marine 2inch OD pylon. Your not going to find one cheeper i dont thing than theres? Most places want well over 300 bucks for the same thing Dana wants 180 for. The bottom is just one bolt threw the stringer from Allison and a 2 inch ID galvinized pipe that splits at the bottom to go over each side of the raised stringer. If you open the center seat you should see that raised center stringer but Ive heard of some not having that? The pipe exits the top behind the back rest on the raised fibreglass section behind the center seat head rest into a flange thats just a washer thingy that goes over the pipe on either side of the Fiberglass and threw bolts holding the pipe thats secured to the stringer. the Pylon just slides into that. It would be really really easy to make one! Cut some pipe threw bolt at the bottom secure into the top flange done. The top part is the real nice piece you need more than any thing. Mine clears the cowl with a 20 inch mid raised to 1/4 below for skiing. i dont know is Allison has made there pylons taller or not these days but mine was very short for some reason thats why I bought the longer pylon. The mount and rest of mine was Factory.

GotMyAlly

Ski poles are great for skiing, wakeboarding, etc......but I'd stick to using a bridle for the tube. Tubes put a lot more stress on the tow point.

smiley88

Whipper the taller one you have is 48 inches? That plenty long to go all the way through and still stick up over cowl.? Also what does the hardware with allison cost ?Above mention of a bridle on a tube What is a bridle ? And where can I purchase ? Thank you all for your time.

whipper

Yes plenty long enough and that bridle is great also i used one before I got the longer pylon. ive used my pylon with a mega tube seats 4 adults and in rough water with no issues bring them beside the boat ect... The bridle is good because its low and there's no bow rise at take off. you just have to mind the prop more is all.

smiley88

Very nice I like that...so pretty much I need to call Allison and get the hardware to mount everything then call Dana marine for the 48 inch pole?

whipper

Thats probably the best Idea but ask Bill or who ever answers the phone at Allison how long there Pylons are these days and how much if they have a 48 inch. Keep in mind now that you have a 15 inch mid not a 20 . The 48 works easy at even or 1/4 below with a 20 inch mid? Sooo why dont you open your centre seat and grab a broom stick handel. Stick the pole to the floor or put a block of wood down so your just off the floor allowing for the sleeve hight that will be attached to the stringer. Your only going to be able to go down the sleeve to just above the mount point. You dont want the pylon resting on top the stringer the pylon will be pinned just above it. Then tie a rope at the top of broom handel and pull it straight back over your cowl at even with the pad. you will never be higher pulling than that. {gives the best wake at 34mph} Accually 1/4 below but just to be safe. You may want to be 5 inchs less than 42?? But you can always lob off more later but you can never add. The shortest you can get away with the better. the longer it is the more leverage there is!!!! So the the harder it is the keep the bow down at take off and slow plaining for kids on two skis for instance. the foil helps there. i can plain at 17 mph were before the foil 19 was as slow. i suspect with the skid plainer even less. If ya want to get technical stand on a chair behind your boat when its on the trailer when pulling the rope. That would be about the same as if your boat was in the water not on the trailer when determining pylon hight to cowl. :rolleyes: Have your serial number ready for Bill at the factory because there was a couple differant types of mounts. Not sure if mine for a 2000 is the same as the 96 one. And i do that chair trick of Bobs!! Its awesome and very comfortable when floating around and fishing. haha That was a great idea Robert!!

harrells

Do what whipper said on all the mounting hardware from Allison, then purchase the pole elsewhere. I had to order a 60 inch solid billet aluminum pole to clear my 3.0L. Can't remember if I got it from Eddie marine or Dana marine.