Long Term Weight Support for Outboard During Storage Ideas

CarolinaBurt

Hi Fellas,

I've been doing something for the last few years and wonder if there are others doing the same thing or if there is a better way. When I have my XB2002 parked in the garage, I lower the engine to vertical and add wooden blocks under the skeg. I then raise the trailer tongue with the jack to take a couple hundred lbs off the transom. The first time I did this, I used a bathroom scale to get a feel for what 200 lbs felt like.

The idea was to relive the transom and trailer bunks of the weight of the outboard. Have a look at your trailer bunks the next time you launch your boat and you'll see that there is an approx 1" space at the rear of each bunk that is highly compressed. With the combined effects of the transom offset and the 14" jackplate, I figure some 1,200~1,400 lbs of force from the weight of the outboard sitting on a 24" torque lever is concentrated on those two fairly small bunks areas. If I can lighten the load by 200 lbs for the 300+ days and 365 nights mine sits on that trailer in the garage. Does anyone know how long and how much weight will cause deformation of the hull long term?

Thoughts, please. Mine sat unsupported for 13 years and not any problems that I know of, but with these big 4-Strokes and heavier DFI outboards today......it makes me wonder if there is a better way to support that outboard weight during months and years of storage. Perhaps ceiling support down to the transom eyes using a hoist system?

Thanks, Gordon

Luketrician

Not an expert but just for conversation..

I also have a xb2002, & have thought about this. I have never actually done anything because I keep thinking that the boat is designed and built to support the motor. As long as the transom is in good shape, and I would think that for Allisons post 1987 (was it 87 that they changed over to PVC coated aluminum transoms?) then there should not be any cause for concern.

As far as the big 4 stroke beasts...and heavier DFI outboards, then maybe it is something to consider.

GotMyAlly

Easy solution.......float it off the trailer more often!

Honestly, I've never heard of that being a problem on any reputable brand of boat. If I suspended mine from the ceiling, it would only be a matter of time before I forgot about it and pulled half the rafters out into the driveway.

CarolinaBurt

Well on that floating more issue, I used to say that if I just had more time I would -

Now that I do have more time, I find that I'm spending most of it in my little 14' stick-steer boat powered by a stingy 35 horse Johnson that won't use 6 gallons on a long day. It's just amazing how easy and friendly a stick-steer boat can be. I get in, have a seat and I never move. Start, shift, throttle, steer, bait, graph, lights, trolling motor, swivel seats, livewell, anchor, ice chest...the older I get, the more my poor Allison sits at home. I was wondering if the industry had something to support that weight of a parked trailer. I looked at a new Ranger in the local showroom a few weeks back and was just blown away at how big/heavy that new Yamaha 250 4-Stroke looked and the offset on that boat was at least 36". That would be 2,000 + lbs sitting on 1" of trailer bunk. Wow.

I may try coming up with a gearcase saddle so that the weight is supported by the gearcase and not the skeg. I could use composite to make a mold that fits and will provide full support without compromising the skeg getting damaged from side forces. You've told me what I needed - nothing exist.

Thanks again, Gordon

GotMyAlly

What if you supported it by the jackplate? Think 2x4 standing on end, propped up under the jackplate. Like a kickstand kinda.....

CarolinaBurt

That's an idea too - out close to the engine brackets, it would support the weight of the engine and be far away from the skeg. I'm liking it.....

nort

Put the supports in then drop the jack plate and it would lift the boat rite off the trailer, assuming its a hydraulic plate, otherwise you could use the tongue jack to achieve the same result.

CarolinaBurt

It's a fixed Allison plate just for the 15" SS Merc outboards. I'll work on the support system this weekend and use the trailer tongue to transfer the engine weight from the transom to the supports. Thanks - Great inputs and much appreciated!

Gordon