Looking for more advice - 2003XB what motor?

white03

Edited because I went back and read old posts about 3.0l, 500+ pound motors on XB2003s. Seems like it is doable

You've probably read my posts on Technical forum about my LU problem and 2.5 280 question.

The issue here I need your advice on is if you were re-powering a XB2003 what new motor would you buy and why? Used for a fishing boat, not lake racer or pleasure boat. Don't need seat of pants speed thrills anymore. I want fishability for sure

Would love to hear from someone who fishes from a XB2003 that has a 3.0l, 500 pound motor?? How does it fish? Does it sit nose high? Did you move batteries forward?

Would love to get the 200XS OS, but no warranty scares the crap outta me

I know that's a lot of questions and please take your time to answer and help me out. BIG AND COSTLY DECISION!!!

Thanx guys

Bill

Last edited:

Lotus 50

It depends upon your need for speed. If you really need speed, and you need new, then 250 or 300XS, depending upon your need for regular fuel. Small set back and be careful.

For me, I'd go 200XS. It would be fast enough and the weight is reasonable. I believe that even if something goes wrong and there is no warranty, the entire value of the motor does not evaporate. With no evidence, I hope mother Merc would replace the power head if it blew up early with light use. I sat on my $US bank account for 5 months thinking about a 200XS and then bought a used Promax. The rest of the funds have been converted to Canadian, so that ship has sailed.

By the time you buy a 175XS, maybe replace the mounts, put a sporty on it, you are approaching 200XS coin. But that's the final option.

Unless you want to go 150 HO Etec. I bet that would run 80.

RedAllison

White Id run a smallblock as long as I could! PLENTY folks would trade your 2.5 for their 225PM. Get the word out & I bet it wouldn't take long. 3.0s on 03 IS doable but lots folks been hurt trying! You could come out even money or in the green trading ur 280 for a 225 but you're gonna be MUCH LIGHTER in the wallet if you go new route...

xb03fs

There is a fresh rebuilt 2.5 xs on fast bass listed for $7500

You would want to get it thoroughly checked but it may be an option...

aeneas

wish they still made a 2.5, 225 hp :(
That they do and it's called the 200xs. Over here they run the 200xs in racing and it seems to be bullet proof and on top of that it sips fuel at a rate one has to tap on the fuel gauge all the time because it is not moving... The 200xs gen I is +220 hp and the 200xs gen II is 240? Mercury will not release any numbers but there is no other 200 that even comes close at the races...

Stay away from the 2.5xs, that is a great powerhead but on a 3.0 mid - a heavy compromise.

I don't understand the no warranty argument. There is a problem with buying a spanking new bullet proof engine but not an old used sport/race engine..?

I run a 200xs gen I...

xb03fs

I want a Gen II even on the 21 I think it would push it just fine...just gotta win the lottary..

njj502

I talked to Merc Racing about the fact there is no warranty and that it scared me. The tech I spoke with said if you had a major failure w/in the first year or two they'd want the powerhead back for R&D work. Obviously in two years I'm not going to put but ~100 hours on it. The fact that they turn these things WOT for 24hrs on the Rouon (SP?) race kinda sells me. I'd still be 10K deep in a new one once I sold my engine tho so there's the kicker..

If it was me and I had the coin, I wouldn't think twice and just order a 200 ROS and be done with it.

mxzx

I am also thinking of a 3l+ motor for my GSE in the future. My Promax lost a piston and a rod and the repair bill seems to be spiralling upward. Reality is the Promax is getting to be an old motor with the last ones being built around 2000? If a GS can't run safely with the new 500lb motors, then the only option might be to go with another make of boat :(