Loose Stator coils

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well, it's rally time and that can only mean one thing. All boats are due to experience problems.

TrojanLarry and Badbait are stuck in Chico trying to figure out a fuel problem on Larry's 200XS. Pinkie has just rolled into town and I'm sure he will be lending them a hand.

Meanwhile my GSE is down & out, and today I started up the XR, which ran fine. However, fortunately, I looked it over and found that 2 stator coils had loosened on the metal laminate inductive core, being able to see these thru the top of the lightened flywheel.

I have tried epoxying them back into place, but don't know if it will last. I have heard that these coils have a high degree of electromotive force pulling them towards the inside of the flywheel. Is this true? Should I just replace the stator assembly?

I don't have a flywheel puller. :evil:

JR

lOOSE COILS

There is some force pulling away from centerline, but the majority is "Shear" which will try to slide them around their mounts. The lines of force are cutting them parallel to the centerline of axis.
The try some Devcon or West Systems Epoxy. They have about the same strength, but the Devcon [Titanium Putty] has a higher working temperature.
JR

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks JR. I used Devcon 2-ton epoxy and let them sit all night with 1/8" wood doweling between the coil bodies and the flywheel inner edge.

"They AIN'T comin off." I do believe you could hang off of them.

:D