Loss of power to engine?

JGray

Glad it was a simple fix for you Whipper. My voltage regulators went out in my 96 ProMax earlier this summer and looked just like the photo mha posted. I was trimming down getting ready to launch when the motor died and wouldn't re-start. After sitting for a few minutes it started, but no down trim (up only). Put it back on the trailer and looked under the cover to find the down trim harness completely melted down, smoking and arcing. Immediately disconnected the battery and after $500 in parts was back in business.

Jerry

mha

I couldn't have been any luckier! My boat has been at the house since I got it. Remodelers evicted her to do some work so I took her back to the lake (where my mechanic is). Just sort of made since to drop her off for the ole semi annual check up while she was down there so that's what I did after a full day of running and fishing. She behaved perfectly all day, I dropped her off and one just like the pic is what he found. I caught a break! Next trip out probably wouldn't have been as fun!

whipper

Thats close!! Its nice when your prepared for the worst and it turns out better. another good thing about this thread was all the great info!! Every one had something to offer and it helped me to understand my motor better! I'm not very motor savvy at all but know what sounds good and what doesn't. As time goes I pick up a little hear a little there. Thats whats so great about these forums! Hearing everyones experience with same issues and getting at it to figure out which one you have.

GFinch

Make sure you don't have one of these:

I just did. Caught it before it affected anything.

Mine's a 96 also. My guy told me that they had a lot of problems with em from around that time and that the newer ones are much improved and have a better ground.

Don't know if that is fact or not.....but it sure sounded good!
Man, I hope you didn't get a whiff of that, as it was doing it's thing. Electrical components burning are NASTY!!!! The smell gets stuck in your nose. NASTY!!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
That looks like a case of low voltage. When you get a resistive loss in the system, could be as simple as an oxidized positive battery terminal...the voltage drops, and the system will try to pull more current to produce the same amount of power....(wattage)...burns things UP!

JR

That was sort of what I was wondering too, Lou. I am still on the same set of coils and rectifiers at 1400+ hours. We used to have issues with our ARC/Cessna aircraft radios with low voltage burning them up during engine startup/shutdown if they were left on...

mha

That looks like a case of low voltage. When you get a resistive loss in the system, could be as simple as an oxidized positive battery terminal...the voltage drops, and the system will try to pull more current to produce the same amount of power....(wattage)...burns things UP!
That's a very interesting comment!

I had a bad built in charger (replaced), not the best batteries (replaced with Optimas) and was running the troller off the cranking battery (not any more!) I probably had ample opportunity for low voltage.

FYI: That's not a picture of mine, but mine sure looks just about like that!