LU Filler

tomoad

on a 200 lower unit thats had a nosecone put on it (JC) what kind of filler is that? Marine tex or something? back in the summer i thought my skeg had cracked and it pilled the filler back and this is what was cracked. the actual skeg is fine. so now it want to fix the skeg back with the filler just need to know what everybody uses.

LakeAnna

Heck if I where you I would give JC a call on Monday and he will tell you what he uses. I've used several different brands over the years. It really depends on how much area you need to fill and how deep the area is. Some is better for filling large areas like marglass and then you can get a lightweight fairing compound for thin finish (scratch pinhole work). If it's gotten wet though you have to get all of that out or it won't last.

This is good stuff: http://3mcollision.com/3m-platinum-plus-filler-01131.html

Last edited:

MWest77

Everyone always has some fancy pants super snake oil. I use bondo marine fine hair fberglass filler. I scuff up the area real good and apply it, shape it with a file, then sand it smooth. Top it off with primer and paint of yor liking. Other areas of mine are chipping exept the bondo. Cant knock it off with a hammer.

tomoad

im running a sportmaster too and it drives like chit compared to the JC unit....thats why im going to put the other one back on ...

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
im running a sportmaster too and it drives like chit compared to the JC unit....thats why im going to put the other one back on ...
What differences do you notice? Which boat/motor combo? Just curious because I have a sporty, never tried anything else.

tomoad

well it drove bad in orignal form. sent it to Robbie and had him work on the skeg, plug the right hole on nose cone, and it does drive better than stock but compared to the JC theres no contest, it takes a better set while driving. handling is alot better. on the same breath people have also had sportmasters that drove very well too. the one i got never did.

LakeAnna

I've had both of them also... Robbie worked the sportmaster and it drove great on my GS. I just had to get another case last month and Lee Sanderson told me to stick with the 200 style case for the best driving and speed. My chit is slow so I guess the case doesn't make a ton of difference:cool. If your really running like 100+ I would want the 200 case. My last one that is trashed now was a torq master with JC cone and it drove perfect... I had planned to run my new one today but the rain won't stop.

LakeAnna

Everyone always has some fancy pants super snake oil. I use bondo marine fine hair fberglass filler. I scuff up the area real good and apply it, shape it with a file, then sand it smooth. Top it off with primer and paint of yor liking. Other areas of mine are chipping exept the bondo. Cant knock it off with a hammer.
No fancy pants stuff Mike:wink.... any of the fiber strained stuff will work well of course it sands like chit if you feathering in. Marson's was what I had used before same stuff like you mention. If you fill it with the fiber and then use a glazing putty on the final pass it just makes for a smooth finish with less pin holes not to mention u won't end up filling with primer if your after a great finish.

whipper

I usualy use small strand kitty hair also and Magna pro. Last time i used marine tech. So far so good. its the same as I use on the pad so hast to be good but sure is $$. i dont think it maters a what ya use hit a stick at 80+ or leave it in the water for over a week and its going to crack or start peeling off somewere.:big grin After a couple or few years of repairs its a good Idea to start fresh and strip her all down and re apply from scratch again. The prep and and setting time as well as paint choises are the real way to make em last. The longer mine has a chance to set the longer it seems to last. Also multipal coats of primer or paint help I find.

whipper

I dont even bother painting mine anymore. It stays in primer.
What primmer you find stays on the best and what do you do to prep for primer? I only primer the bottom half and paint the top half. Im trying the Merc stuff right now. Top half is zinc chromate [sp] and then yellow paint over top. Bottom is zinc chromate with Merc primer over zinc primer. Wetsand bottom half 400 git.

LakeAnna

James are you using a spray gun and mixing or just a rattle can? If you have spray equipment that you can use single stage urethane works great.

whipper

It's my understanding primer won't seal out water and Bondo sucks it up.
Thats what i found also. Bondo works ok unless you have to leave your boat in the water for more than 3 days. After that things start to deteriorate. Thats why I thought i would try add tech this time round. Holding up good so far.

Lake Anna ya just rattle can. I would sure like to try what you suggested though one time to see if that seals better.

LakeAnna

It's my understanding primer won't seal out water and Bondo sucks it up.
You may have a point with some of the primers out there. My farther always had urethane at the shop so I'm used to it. Cars, boats, tools whatever. PPG K36 is a great filler primer and then you could seal it with a coat of epoxy. If I was doing one now I would just work it with epoxy primer and scuff it. Napa has the finishline stuff that is not to costly and it's a pretty good product.