mazco 27hp4 or 28hydromotivet4x 4blade

whipper

Need advice as to wich one of these would work best for my setup. GSE 225 pm 12 inch setback.With a 25 trophy I can reach the limiter and has great hole shot. I want real good hole shot and more top speed. Needs to cary a load with the family aboard at times. 27 or 28? hmmmm. James

RedAllison

James I can't say EXACTLY what your boat will do as mine is a ProSport (225SS 14.5" hyd plate) but the two are close enough that I can't see them being entirely different. I tried an HP4 on my boat once and it SUCKED! I had a 29" RE3 that cracked after one summer and while talking with John Mazar I asked about an HP4 and he said that at that time he hadn't had enough of them on ProSports to know exactly what they would do (this would've been 1999) so he built me a 28" HP4 and sent it too me. Did I mention it SUCKED? The holeshot was fine and up too about 60 it was ok, after that the prop simply wouldn't carry the boat. EVERYTIME it hit 80-81 it would simply blowout. It also never would lift the hull properly, the boat would run flat and "mushy" feeling. I tried it several jackplate heights and it wouldn't matter, same result.

I called him back and he said that he guessed that prop was more for traditional hulls he reckoned. So I sent it back and he built me a 28" RE3 and I ran that for another summer and then it cracked as well. So as good as the REs run I just refuse to run them anymore because they seem to brittle. The HPs seem like a "Trophy copy" just looking at them, but they sure don't run like em.

As for the Hydromotive, if you are talking about the Quad IV OT then I think they are the best all around prop on the market. On my rig it ran 91gps with a heavy two man load (28" Quad IV OT) and for comparison Glenn Reynolds ran it by himself empty of fishing equipment (still had troller, batteries, fishin seats, fuel etc..) 94 with his own ET. The Quad IV also had so much stern lift that it made the boat feel like it was 5' longer with the way it improved ride quality over a stock Trophy. The exact same 2 man load (same day, about 30mins apart) I ran 91 with the QuadIV I ran 88.8gps with a stock 27" Trophy.

The only downside with the Quad IV was holeshot, but that prop wasn't relieved enough my SS engine (they have poor bottom end) and Todd told me he can now drill dual ventholes on each blade so I will eventually be getting a QuadIV to replace my Trophy and other props. The Quad IV has INCREDIBLE mid range, you can feel the punch and acceleration. The Trophy you just mash the gas and look at your watch! :roll: The Quad IV is also beefier and a very durable prop yet still ran like it did.

You mentioned a 25" Trophy, holeshot wise practically any thru and over/thru hub of 27" or greater is gonna be hardpressed to beat the bottom end of a 25"er. It's just hard to get it "all". To get that few extra mph on top you typically have to give up a few seconds on the bottom end and vice versa... :( I haven't run a worked 27" Trophy, but for that kind of money you can get a Quad IV and that's my pick, so it's your choice. Just STAY AWAY from the HP4, if you have a deal with Mazco then go with either an RE3 or RE4 and just be ready to replace it shortly because they DO crack. If you go the full overhub route then look at the ETs, cut choppers, cut SRXs etc...

Good luck,
RA

fishnfireman

A whole different opinion :roll: About the RE3 & RE4 :!:

I will agree with the above post about the HP4 thru hub Mazco----
If you can try it before you buy it -Fine,, :arrow: But I have not heard of anyone liking them on an Allison.. Some folks just rant and rave about the Quad 4. So much so that I called Todd and had him put his special mojo on a 28... For just a tad over 800 bones! It was nothing special on my rig.. Which at that time was a 2003 with a 280.
I had a 29 RE3 that would beat it anyway you wanted to run.. Which I might add I bought used in 1999 and has been run hard ever since on 3 different motors. I also have a 26 RE3 that is 10 yrs old.
A 26 RE4 and a 28 RE4 that I don't know how old they are because I bought them both used in 2000.

Any way, it has been my finding :roll: When WE whom have to deal with a true load and higher elevation. You would be wise to try the big ear over hub props, such as the Chopper and RE Mazco type props..
They will carry a load well and allow the motor to get into it's upper RPM range and still run some good numbers on top end.

John S

Hydromotive is an awesome shop to deal with. I will guarantee you that if you buy a prop from them you will not be dissapointed with them...GUARANTEED!!! I just spent over an hour talking about my setup to Todd, and not once did I get a short answer. From the time the gal answers the phone to the time you hang up, you will think youre the #1 customer they got, no BS. This may sound like an a$$ kisser deal, but Im really that happy with these guys. Oh yeah, the xt4 rocks!
John S

fishnfireman

John,

Do not think, or insinuate that I was not pleased with Todd or anyone at Hydromotive. :D
They are as good as they come..And yes we also talked at length more than once.
However like stated above, that prop was not the best one for MY setup. We also ran the prop on 3 different 21 ft Allison

John S

Sorry FNF, I wasnt starting a pissing match with you, I just wanted to relay the good experience Ive had dealing with Hydromotive. Todd has been working with me on my setup, and Ive learned a lot, so I was just passin on a good word for him. From my experience, if you give them the info and some time, youll get what you want. Just givin my opinion, in no way was I trying to bash yours. But I really do think Whipper should give them a call, Theyre awesome to deal with.
John S :D

whipper

props

Thanks guys who makes the re4 props is that hoss? Im steering toward the hydomotives, Hoss and drag 4 by performance. The Mazco hp4 sounds like I wouldnt like because Im after hole shot two, a 28 4 sounds in the middle of what I have and would give the best top end with better hole shot than my 30. If I could even get close to the holeshot of the 25 trophy but a bit more topend say 85-88 I would be pleased. I can run trophy on the limiter and worked 30 only 6100rpm or so full fuel.Do you think I could spin a 28 to 6500-6600 rpm light? James

whipper

I see the re4 is Mazco FNF. You think this would work well eh. I will do some more reaserch my problen is I cant try before I buy up hear.Our local merc dealer is all we have and the biggest prop the have sold is a 19 high five! Lots of jet boats around that think there untouchable to there top speed of 50. Ive been to 5 lakes and out around 20 times in the last month and been the only one on the lake. I cant wait to play with these guys. going in a fishing derby with the GSE next week at a very remote lake. I found that if I take the port seat out put a toat there for landing the trout there is no mess.I leave my net there. There are lots of 30-50 pound Lake Trout at this lake I won the derby last time at this lake.Ill have my 25 on and let them leave first then smokem to the prime area. Ha Ha. No trolling I cast into the creek mouths and let the bait drop off the shelf to the feeders. Every one else trolles all day and night boring. I go here there and every where till I flush em out. The Ally is good for my style. James

fishnfireman

What size is your prop shaft ?

I have a 28 RE4.
If you are hitting the limiter hard with the 25 Trophy.. This 28 should do about what you want.

Its not for sale but I would let you try it.

whipper

28re4

I have a standard shaft 15 spline. It would be to much bother to send your prop way up hear. I do appreciate the offer fishnfireman. I have narrowed it don't to 4 fail safe props from what I have read. The Mazco 28re4,Hoss triton 28, Hydromotive t4x, or Performance 28 Drag 4. If I could buy any one of these in 9/10 I'm sure ill be happy.

Bill Kemp

whipper i have a 28p hydromotive t4x thats a 9 on the s&f scale i took it on trade with a ally owner (tx2step) it's not enough prop for my yamaha i'll sell it to you for 475.00 plus shipping