mercury 2.5 outboard 280hp

comet gt

I have a mercury 2.5 liter 280hp the motor runs great. the problem I'm having is when I turn off the boat and then try to start it no go. if I let it seat for ten minutes it cranks right up. can't figure this one out. has anybody experienced this problem.

Jr in Jax

Sounds like vapor lock. You might ask one of the guys at Mercury Racing or Lee Sanderson if insulating lines could help.

Jr in Jax

BTW you might like this: Daytona Comet
Ron Jones Sr [deceased] not only built my [deceased] Brother's inboard Hydro, but installed one of the ten Daytona Comet engines in his 64 Mustang in between his deployments flying Search missions for carrier pilots in Viet Nam. The engine was mated to a Ford Racing road race transmission and would pull a shoulder high wheelstand in second gear. R.J.Sr always had his boat and car ready when he retuned between deployments so he could race the APBA National Circuit. He also put a 21-coat blue pearl paint job on it.

Jr in Jax

The two ways to fight vapor lock is to insulate the inlet and outlet fuel lines or to increase the fuel pressure to the regulator to pressurize the lines more and send fuel back through a return line back to the tank. Maybe both methods?

gmorgan

We had a similar issue, and it only got corrected when we had the injectors cleaned.