Mercury hub kit

tomoad

Will a mercury solid hub kit that fits a ET fit a trophy plus? The thrust washer is what I'm not sure about.

thegoop

I don't know what washer you need but I coincidentally have similar Flo Torq questions that may get us answers.

I am running trophys and have been using the flo Torq II. I went to get a spare drive sleeve. My merc dealer asked for my motor serial number which of course I had and advised me I need the flo Torq III part #881940 1. He said it is for SS props and the flo Torq II might not be strong enough for the torque. He services mostly lower HP mercs and doesn't do a lot of performance motors.

When I got home I looked the part number up and was not aware there are so many different flo Torq kits. I looked at the sites below among others which are helpful. Some guys complained about noise, wobbling and vibration at idle with the II, so they tried the III and resolved those issues.

Now I am confused.

I think mercury says to use the flo Torq II hub 835274K1 for a 225 efi and 835257K6 for a V6 running a trophy. There is one for choppers and cleavers and one for racing sport masters. Then there is the flo Torq III hub 881940 1 for SS props, not to mention the flo Torq IV.

I see no threads here about the different hub kits which I can't believe. Can anyone explain when to use a flo Torq II, III, or IV and further which specific drive sleeve? I have the short flo Torq II aft drive sleeve adaptor. Do I need to get the long flo Torq III aft adaptor?

Sorry to hijack. I hope this helps you too.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005155.html

http://www.bbcboards.net/props/172588-faq-about-props-marks-price-sheet-order-form.html

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/pdfs/service-and-support/props/Flo-Torq.pdf

bec

Will a mercury solid hub kit that fits a ET fit a trophy plus? The thrust washer is what I'm not sure about.
If you are talking about the solid hub kit with the plastic strips on each corner for the fat shaft then Yes it will work on trophy plus.the hub kit that came with mine was for the small shaft as it had a thrust washer in the kit which you do not use on the fat shaft .

GrandLakeGAR

For a small shaft, the steel drive sleeve for a Trophy is 850821, it is 3.85" long. The drive sleeve for a ET is 850821-1 and it is only 3.67" long. I have used them interchangeably in the past with no apparent problem before I noticed the difference. The 12-835467-1 washer fits ET and Trophy. The 826074 short aft adapter fits both length drive sleeves.

Last edited:

thegoop

I called Mercury yesterday and here is what they told me for my 225 running various props. I had no idea until now about all these kits and parts. This is still somewhat confusing to me and I don't know why it has been so difficult to figure this out. My Mercury dealer sold me the wrong drive sleeve which means he is confused too.

Flo Torq II Standard Hub Kit 835257K1
- AFT Drive Sleeve Adaptor 826074Q1
- Derlin Drive Sleeve 835290A1
- Forward Thrust Washer 12-8354671
- Prop Nut 11-52707Q1
- Tab Washer 8M0042130

Flo Torq II Surfacing Hub Kit (Tempest, Trophy, Fury) 835257K6
- Derlin Drive Sleeve 835290A1
- Forward Thrust Washer 12-8354671
- Prop Nut 11-52707Q1
- Tab Washer 8M0042130
- Bushing 23-85616391

The difference between these two is the bushing used for surface piercing applications.

Flo Torq II Racing Hub Kit (Chopper, Cleaver, ET, Pro ET) 835258K1
- Metal Drive Sleeve 850821Q11 (3 7/8" long)
- Forward Thrust Washer 8354675
- Prop Nut 11-52707Q1
- Tab Washer 8M0042130
- Bushing 23-849501

Flo Torq II Standard Length Racing Hub Kit (Tempest, Trophy) 835258K2
- Metal Drive Sleeve 850821Q12 (3 5/8" long)
- Forward Thrust Washer 8354675
- Prop Nut 11-52707Q1
- Tab Washer 8M0042130
- Bushing 23-849501

The difference between these last two and the first two is the metal drive sleeve, the thrust washer and the drive sleeve bushing. I do see some variance in prop nut and tab washer part numbers on the internet.

The only difference between the last two is the length of the metal drive sleeve. Apparently sleeve 850821Q11 is longer than 850821Q12. The Trophy takes the short one. The thrust washer is the same for the two metal drive sleeves. There is little information about the 849501 bushing. I also found this Quicksilver prop catalogue. The bushing is not mentioned on page 72 under the hub kits but it is on page 76 under the two drive sleeves stating the busing comes with the drive sleeve and is part of the hub kit.

http://www2.kegel.de/dokumente/propeller.pdf

TBuck2003

The metal drive sleeve is for 400 plus H.P. The plastic is for under 400 H.P. This is for the standard 1" shaft. The XR shaft hub kits are all metal with the plastic strips on the side...

thegoop

Mercury advised me that the long metal sleeve in kit 835258K1 is required for an et or pro et with my motor and the K2 kit for a trophy was optional over the K6 kit.

The link to the quicksilver catalogue does state bravo 400+ or pro max 300 for the K2 kit but doesn't mention any hp numbers for 835258K1. Like I said, this is all confusing and there are too many opinions where it should be factual. The guy at Mercury could have got it wrong and I consider yours to be a qualified opinion. I have always used the plastic sleeve with no bushing. I just want to use the right parts I am supposed to. My dealer sold me a Flo Torq III plastic sleeve with titanium rods. I called BS on that and started looking into it. I returned it and ordered the K6 kit. I never knew about a metal drive sleeve until I read this post.

GrandLakeGAR

Thanks for posting the info from Mercury. Way back I was told by an "expert" that the short drive sleeve was for ET/ProET's and the long sleeve for Trophy's,etc. The length must not be very critical because I've been running my props like that with a 280 and 225PM for years with no problems. Good to finally know what the correct application is.

thegoop

I'm happy if this helps anyone but I would only use this as a reference point in researching your own situation. I have called Mercury a few times lately about my Motorguide too. One guy was super knowledgable but there was another who seemed to be reading it from his screen. Life does not need to be this confusing. I just want to go fast and catch fish.

tomoad

I ordered a standard hub for the trophy plus 835257Q6. And the plastic hub part is the same as my metal hub in length. So I believe I will use the metal because this plastic deal is too cheesy. Also it didn't come with the star tab washer. It has some other kind of gizmo that the tabs bend around the nut. What a POS!!!! But the thrust washer is the same as the metal one for et. I just can't make myself run this plastic hub. Looks like it will be too weak. I believe us with the bigger motors better stay with steel. Kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight!!!

BigRedAlli

I heard the metal hubs are sloppy in some props. I've used the plastic hubs on my 260/ XB03 for 10yrs and never had a problem with them. They are a little tough to get out of the prop if you need to swap it out.

jcoats3

I just pick up a Turbo TXP to try pretty cheap last week. My solid hub has some slop in it compared to being in my Hydromotive prop.
Does anyone know what is different between a mercury racing HD prop hub part# 840389Ko6 and the quicksilver flo-torq II hub part #840389Q06. Other then about 30 to 40 bucks on price

whipper

I have several different hub kits with mostly different numbers. i just slid a few different ones in and pick the one with the less play. Same goes for washers. I always look for the washer that doesn't slid down as far unless its the different washer for old Choppers or SRX fixed hub ect.. I also don't like the metal ones because there heavy so takes more power to turn. As Todd said for the 400 hp+ motors anyway makes sense.

harrells

jcoats3. I recently purchased a 27 TXP and really like the way it handles, feels like it lifts the entire hull out of the water much more than any other I have tried. With 4 people in the boat hole shot was great and top end right at 92mph. Let me know what you think of yours.

jcoats3

Mine is a 23 pitch 3 blade got it to haul kids to sandbar and all loaded down. Only used once so far. It does pick up good feels like the tempest I had before cracked the blade on it. Have yet run by myself any but gets out of hole pretty good loaded down compared to my 27 pitch quad 4OT. from what I've readed they run tall on pitch.