Mirrors on Allisons

GFinch

I'd like to see and hear input on mirror styles and location on our boats.
I have a XB2003, butt any pic's of mirrors are helpfull. Where you mounted them, what brand, where you got um and why you do or probably most important, don't like them.

I know Lou, Commander of the Western Fleet, has mirrors to check out the babes and see if JohnR the "Bannded" is sneeking up.

So show um if ya got um.

:idiot :beating dead horse , please :beer: !

froggy

Gary,

I have a ski mirror mounted above the cubbyhole on the passenger side of my XB 2003. It has a windshield clamp that I turned upside down and have clamped to the lip above the dash/below the windshield and I buffered the mount with neoprene sheet so when the mirror is removed there will be no sign.

I use the mirror to: 1. check that my 280 is "peeing" upon startup 2. Assess the roostertail when testing props 3. see 'realtime' terror on my passenger's face 4. watch for other traffic when running less than 90

I don't think Lou needs a REARview mirror to see Pinkie.

froggy

whipper

I use the ski mirror from Allison for my GS. Its small and well made hardwear. Real cheep to I think last year I only paid like 15bucks for it from Bill. James

GFinch

Pictures too please.

froggy, I've see a couple of those clip on style in Overton's catalog some large some small what yu got?

whipper, I missed seeing you at the WAR hopefully you'll get to the WAR08 at the Delta.

froggy

Gary,

I am not picture literate! However; bought my first digital camera a couple weeks ago.

I bought the ski mirror from Boater's World (this is a chain retail outlet). It is the, inexpensive, black one with windshield clip.

froggy

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
XB-2003 mirror. I think it's from a lake-lice.

Pics of Grandsport mirror coming soon.

Lou

GFinch

Re: Mirrors on Allison's

Doesn't look like it would interfere with fishing rods mounted like that!

Could have used that today. Some non english speaking Sea S#$t driver came within 15' of me. I had to get an interrupter to tell him he could have died had I made a left turn without looking. He was in his late 30s to 40s, still alive, still without a clue.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
No you're right it doesn't interfere with anything and it's been on the boat since I got it. I always had figured it was "standard issue"; only later did I find out it was aftermarket. I have relied on that mirror forever. Probably only good for loss of 1 mph topend. :cool

RedAllison

I haven't put a mirror on RDW ever in her 8 years, but for some reason I'm now back into wanting one. I haven't ordered any yet, but I was on Ebay looking at motorcycle mirrors. Some of the croctch rocket mirrors are avaiable with pretty neat bodywork on them (that can be painted to match) and wouldn't look like a "mirror on a black stick" nor would you have to mount one behind the console which would leave blindspots behind anyone in the cockpit as well as the motor itself.

I've always thought a single, color matched mirror "ala the Ferrari Testarossa" would've always looked cool on ProSports. :beer:
RA

GFinch

What I was thinking is: One that would mount flush to the side of the outside of the console just below the windshield . OR ..........

whipper

Gary hears the Allison ski mirror. Its curved convex so gives a pretty good range around you and small but clear. The mounting bracket is all aluminum and of good quality for the price of 13 bucks also! James

badbait

Gary, I'm surprised you didn't see the mirror on my 2003. It was on the boat when I picked it up from the dealer. It looks exactly like the one on Lou's. I think there great for prop testing and speed runs when your running the motor up high. I like to make sure the rooster goes away. Since my age has kinda gotten up there I find it's the only way I can see the motor without getting out of my seat. You young guys won't understand that.

GFinch

Re: Mirrors on Allison's

Whipper/James, that defiantly is a good picture! You say it is an Allison mirror, I take that to mean from Allison. How's it mounted? Clamped to the lip?

Badbait/Bill I was more interested in your (boats) back end/ride plate etc., then the rest of the boat. Didn't notice the mirror.

whipper

Gary its screwed in but also comes with a clamp if thats the way you like it. The hardware is all billet aluminum realy light but never moves. its adjustable though. Yes Bill sent it to me from Allison. Its the stock mirror for the GS. I fish trout off my waverunner so I figured shouldnt be a proplem out of a boat! Just need a way to hold the rods.