Mothers Day weekend

skewby

ed baseball will be over for me no later than this week end so i should be out on the water. that is if we don't have a football scrimmage? spring practice starts monday

Dave Hensley

Big Ed where are you staying? I can probably make it on Saturday weather permitting. Will have grandson Sunday. Just picked up my new upholstery yesterday for the XB2003. I have two hoses to install on the new aerator pumps today so I will have something to bring! Been looking for some boat fenders. Saw some at the rally that were L shaped and sat on the deck and then turned down over the rub rail. Protected the boat from getting up under a dock, which is a big fear for me. I have had to fix too many of those. Where can I find those? Skewby if you and Roger can make it and direct us to the eye candy first round is on me!

Jon

Supporting Member
Been looking for some boat fenders. Saw some at the rally that were L shaped and sat on the deck and then turned down over the rub rail. Protected the boat from getting up under a dock, which is a big fear for me. I have had to fix too many of those. Where can I find those?
Like these? I'm running those this year to see how they work. I also looked at some pad shaped fenders which look like they'll rub the gel too much.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Freeboard-Fender/dp/B000MJJMTY

31XRQjM7pXL.jpg

Dave Hensley

Jon, sorta, the ones I saw were made out of foam with a covering like life jackets use. I have some of the big old balloon looking ones just thought those I spoke of looked nice and would work well.

skewby

dave are they flat like a foam 2x6 covered in vinyl with a hinge a 1/3 of the way down it? thats what I've used the last couple years, and i love em. not the greatest if the water is real rough because they are only 2in thick

Dave Hensley

Yep, just bigger. Heck I will just throw the life jackets over the gunnels. Of the 30 or so Allisons that have came through the shop probably 12-14 have had the misfortune of getting up under a dock. I hate it when that happens. takes all the fun out of a good day.

This looks interesting. Don't know if the Allison has enough horizontal flat on the deck to accommodate the suction cups.

Last edited:

skewby

overtons and basspro have them. jon thats like the ones i use. they come in different lengths, and for our boats you need the shory ones. i picked up some real short ones for jet ski's that i hang on for extra protection as well

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
There's also a product made for jet skis that I've found to work quite well on the lighter boats...Joe Burke hooked me up with them years ago. Called ski savers or something; I'll have to fish them out of the SS to get the exact name but I'm fairly certain they're still available. Two suction cups for top and bottom on an elastic cord covered in protective foam cylinders with a split for the rub rail. Avoids the slip-under-dock seismograph etching on your wings. Hated that. It happened to two of my boats and wasn't a cheap nor easy fix.

As an aside, for the years we would drive out to the rallies from CA, my son Louis and I marveled at how folks in TN docked...it was like, "drive up, tie up no fenders bam done" and we laughed at ourselves for the self-imposed ritual we would do of fendering everywhere in hopes of avoiding damage. And the pisser...WE would always get the gel scratches while the unprotected ones seemed to escape unscathed every time.

I then became aware that if the fenders were dirty in the least, the rolling action of them against the hull and dock did damage to the pristine gelcoat.

Since then, I've adopted a flexible strategy of how to avoid docking damage by hawking on each dock before tying up. Sometimes the best fenders are no fenders--once you get head around the fact your rub rail is disposable and meant to be. Nevertheless I totally agree about the slide-under-dock thing, which is a known and dreaded Allison eater.

Jon

Supporting Member
Lou, as you saw, I added to my dock all the way down to about 740.5, so about 6" below the surface of the water when full. No fenders needed at my dock :)

Dave Hensley

Well it is a rough day at the office. Most everything finished up on the XB 2003 and I have to take it to the water for a shake down cruise. Dang life is tough. Will post pics later in another thread.

RoseXB03

image.jpg Just ordered a couple of these from Overtons, buy one get one 50% off. Will see how they work!

whipper

I always found because of the wedge shape when tieing up beside another boat or dock I use one big one buy the back seats hanging over then tight line at the stern and loose at the bow and never a problem. The bow cant come in because the stern is tight and the bow cant go out any further than the slack.