Motor came off..........

DaveW

Hi Ally family from down under :)

Had a little accident over the weekend - hit something submerged doing 30-40mph in pretty rough water.

Boat listed left hard, powered off turned around and saw the motor barely hanging on.

Anyone seen anything like this before? With the plate in the transom I thought this was almost impossible.

Sad part it is was second day of a tourney and we were carrying enough weight to top 5..............

Best part is we lived to tell the tale!

Attachments

patches

thats scary. i've seen some pics of similar results when hitting something. the allison transom is among the strongest in the business but all bets are off when you hit something solid doing 40 mph.

Blueally XB21

Dave,

What year ally is that? Just wondering if it still had the wood in the transom when it was built? I think some in the pre-1988 years may have been wood. Like any wood, if it is not keep sealed properly it will rot and weaken. Some one can chime in with exact dates I'm sure. I beleieve the motor bracket would brake before the newer style transoms would give up, but like most I'd sure hate to test it. Looks like yours was the four bolt system as well. I think most newer ones are six bolt design, I could be mistaken though.
Glad everyone is okay. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Harvey

Last edited:

Yellowallison

from the looks of the groves in transom, rust stains from bolts and the water scum line behind jackplate...looks as though it all had been loose/rusting for some time...then finally broke. keep a wrench on your all your motor and transom bolts.

Glad it wasn't worst....call Bill @ Allison and get'm to send ya some new bolts.

Last edited:

Fishforcash

My 1992 XTB has a stiffing plate from Allison. The former owner I bought it from was told the boat needed it if it was going to have high HP on the back.

I think you might need one now if your transom isnt broken beond repair.

DaveW

She's a 96 build, and I have been told today that all will be well with a transom repair, as long as the insurance comes good.

Scared the bejeezus out of us. I've had her in some pretty nasty water before with total confidence and everyone who's been in her rates the rough water ride better than anything else down here.

In my humble opinion not much beats an older lady who likes a rough ride :cool

DaveW

Oh I'd also been at a pretty rough tourney the week before and as usual all bolts were checked after the event.

This happened on Sunday. Thursday night I attached a replacement SI tranducer on the jackplate (my own stupid fault for snapping it off) and didn't notice anything wrong.

I just want her back on the water - it's nice having a one-of-a-kind boat, nice kind of retro class that newer cookie cutters can't match.

froggy

Dave,

It looks like the, welded on, spacers from the top holes pulled through the transom as well as the nuts and washers. If this is true, it will be impossible for your transom rebuilder to re-weld these items. The transom people will likely fill the "hogged out" holes with quality epoxy and re-drill. If this is what they do, I'd suggest installing transom "tuffners" top and bottom. These are rectangular (approx. 3" tall X distance between engine bolts X1/4" thick if steel plate or 3/8" thick if cast aluminum), super washers. These devices will keep your bolts from pulling through if your nuts stay tight.

Cook Manufacturing (CMC) as well as a couple others sells these and they are very reasonably priced---Allison may still have a few in stock.

froggy