motor height

red2003

what is a good starting point for a trophy on 14.5 setback pro max 2.5 on a xb2003? I run my performer 3 drag even with pad, got a chance to try a original small hub trophy just looking for input on a starting point, also how high is safe before risk of ear slinging becomes factor?

red2003

should've put that in, boat has no lip running Bob's modified 200 cle

Dave Hensley

It was there for a reason. Not always perfect out of the mold for the HP application but needed to lift a load and keep the angle of attack of the nose correct at speed. Without a lip the trim button is just and elevator mechanism for the nose. The pad loses all hydrodynamic lift and is just a fulcrum.

red2003

yes I agree , but I have also had some advice in that the boat was designed for 90-150 motors, which indeed did need that helpm but in applications with the larger 260 and up motors it works better without it, regardless I've owned the boat for 15 years and am comfortable with this set up just curious about the trophy prop, have read older tests about this was the original go to prop for some in the 90's

Dave Hensley

Darris was pushing the Trophy along with the 225 ProMax after 1995 or so when it came out. I have ran high powered XB 2002's, XB 2003's and XR2001's. 260/280/300 Drag/300 Modified Drag. They all benefited from the pencil roll. The trick is how much and what profile works best from left and right of center line. Stock is rarely the ticket unless you are running a 225 or less. Had a XB2002 Bass Racer with no lip and it just wasn't the ride I wanted. Now an XB2003 with a 3 liter is a different discussion. Best all around prop for your application is a DAH 27SRX.

red2003

SRX seems hard to locate either in 27" or 29 " sizes around here (Memphis) it seems everyone has switched to larger gear cases and who knows where the props went, I do like the drag 3 I run, very quick but legs out about low 90's in about 1/4 mile, I do appreciate your input and will consider the lip. I do have a slight lip left in the center max of .03

dubmoney

It is hard to recommend anything different that what Mr. Hensley recommends since he has a vast amount of experience, that I will never have, but some things I believe are subject to personal taste. I started my Allison experience with a DAH 27 SRX, The 28 chopper ran better, and the 28 ET ran better yet. My first try at a Four blade was a BBlades Blaster and I didn't think it was any better than the Chopper, (it may have a little less torque steer) I have been sanding my lip down in .005 increments. It started and .09 at the tallest part in the center. I am down to .035 and still picking up speed with every .005 I take off. I ran 99 last weekend and plan to take another .005 off. That will bring me to .03. I have a JSRE built 260 with all the goodies, I like the sportmaster cases, I am on my fifth gearcase for this boat. I have had a Bob's, Titus, Jason Wolf, and two sportmasters. All gearcases take some work to tune in. I am currently 5/8" above the pad.

red2003

great info and buy no means am I arguing with anyone just looking for info, when you set to .03 you will be where I am at I have a bobs modified cle 200 set up for Allison and it works well, thanks again

chad202

It is hard to recommend anything different that what Mr. Hensley recommends since he has a vast amount of experience, that I will never have, but some things I believe are subject to personal taste. I started my Allison experience with a DAH 27 SRX, The 28 chopper ran better, and the 28 ET ran better yet. My first try at a Four blade was a BBlades Blaster and I didn't think it was any better than the Chopper, (it may have a little less torque steer) I have been sanding my lip down in .005 increments. It started and .09 at the tallest part in the center. I am down to .035 and still picking up speed with every .005 I take off. I ran 99 last weekend and plan to take another .005 off. That will bring me to .03. I have a JSRE built 260 with all the goodies, I like the sportmaster cases, I am on my fifth gearcase for this boat. I have had a Bob's, Titus, Jason Wolf, and two sportmasters. All gearcases take some work to tune in. I am currently 5/8" above the pad.

That is how I did my 03. I ended up with only .005, basically nothing. With 14" setback I started of at .060 at 1/4" above. I ended up at 1.5" above to fish and 1.75" above for light load running. Boat drove rock solid with a Tooters and Bobs gearcases.

chad202

28RL cut chopper for lite loaded. Fishing props 25trophy, 24 TXP, 26 RE4. I like the 4bladed for fishing.

chad202

1.5 above. But I only ran two batteries and both of those were in front the fuel cell.

chad202

How heavy you run, where the batteries are, where tackle is located and how much tackle are goes into it. Being you have a promax, I would certainly have about .025-.040 lip put back on. BUT, it could be made to work without the lip. Batteries would've to be in front tank, only run two or go with lithium, and keep overall weight in the rear as down as possible. I never broke a trophy prop but when the water got choppy or rough I would just trim down and cruise around 4K so the prop wasn't loading/unloading.

red2003

I run 2 in front of gas tank and 1 in passenger wing, I use group 24 size and always with fishing load, never run eater in live wells always catch and release, most tackle in front, seems well balanced, running even should let me know something, also only open her up when I'm running solo