Motor height

Bobalouie

What does the boat typically do if you set your motor height too high? I am thinking of playing with my engine height a little, but I dont know what to expect. If you are a little too high, does it take too much trim to carry the bow, or what happens?

SLOmofo

Engine speed increases but boat speed doesn't. Yes on the trim. If the prop doesn't have bite it won't carry the bow. Rooster tail will be higher, depends on style of prop. Usually shouldn't be higher then engine cowl when at speed. Beware too high and hooking is far easier. Gently decrease speed, or your going around.

LIFE JACKET AND KILL SWITCH

Last edited:

hullbilly

The easiest sign for me is that the hull will not react to trim input. In other words, you will bump the trim, but you won't feel anything and the boat won't change attitude.

ziemer

Too high and the *** end will start to get loose. ;) Depending on the prop it should take less trm to go as fast or faster. A good prop at the proper height will get all of the boatout of the water and maintain a fairly level running attitude.

whipper

When mesuring your prop shaft hight if your 1/4 above max hight on your motor you have everything youll need to trim with. (99% of the hulls run fastest 1/4 below to even with the pad stock lip Nutral to just passes nutral trim. Youll know when you trimed to much when your rpm goes up and your speed doesnt. Thats a good indacation to bump one down if its not to late already.
So if your motor hights is already 1/4 above with your most accuarte messurments on a flat surface theres no need to rise your motor any more. If you get 1/4 below all up your in a good saftey zone but there probably more speed there up another hole and finding even on the trim guage at Nutral or just passed with the right prop.
Theres guys running 02,s higher than 1/4 above but if your not at even just go slow getting used to each hight for a while. Its way differant going a quarter or more than were your used to. I raised my motor over an inch from were it was up two holes. I dont need to run my GS as high as she,ll go and have no guage. I got cought a couple of times since. Were before I hadnt had a blow out in years. Just be safe.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

For me, best height at 70+ is too high for lower speeds. The boat is unresponsive to trim until I get going fast. No big deal. I have a hydraulic plate.

Rocket

What does the boat typically do if you set your motor height too high? I am thinking of playing with my engine height a little, but I dont know what to expect. If you are a little too high, does it take too much trim to carry the bow, or what happens?

Bob, is this Bill Masons old boat?

Bobalouie

Yes sir it is. Got any advice on the lightweight? I went out last weekend to play around and I was hoping to run it a while and then raise the engine and run it again to see the differences for myself. I was running on a small local lake where there wasnt enough room to go much over 90. This thing is wicked fast. Usually I get it up to about 70 and then just tip into the gas to get it to 80 then tip it again to get it into the 90s, but this time I was having to do full throttle accelleration to get up to speed and still have enough time to get out of it comfortably (which for me takes a lot of slowdown room). Full throttle from 20-95ish mph is a whole nother ball game in this boat. I was also running about 40 lbs lighter than usual, since I took out the two fishing seats and the power pedastal butt seat. I am going to have to work on the full throttle accelleration. There is so much going on in such a short timespan (somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 seconds it seems like from 20-95ish) that I am having difficulty keeping track of everything. It is a comfort issue right now. I havent spent enough time going from 20mph to balls out full throttle to get comfortable with all that is happening all at once. Full throttle from 20-80 is no problem for me, but that extra 15 mph on top starts to freak me out a little.

Needless to say, I didnt raise the engine up this time out. I spent the rest of the time running in the 70s-80s playing with the trim and seeing what the bow would do and just jacking around.

Last edited:

Rocket

WOW! you are doing very well to be able to drive that boat at 90mph already! The mid 90's are VERY FAST for that Boat with a Stock 280.. What prop are you running???

If I can give you any advise at all........."ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET AND HOOK UP YOUR KILL SWITCH" (No matter what speed)!!!! These boats are a lot of Fun! But with most FUN there is a RISK!

Please be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!

And welcome to the FUN SIDE of Boating! :big grin

PS> I wouldn't Jack your motor up anymore than where Bill had it set.. He has done a ton of testing and has it set PERFECT! Remember,, He's been pitched out twice!

Last edited:

Bobalouie

Rocket,

I actually lowered the motor 1/4" below where Bill was running it to make it easier to learn how to drive. I am set up at 1/8" above the pad, and he had it at 3/8" above. If I move it up, it will be no higher than that, since like you said, him getting pitched twice kindof tells me that is the razors edge of setup, and I dont want to be on that edge.

As for life jacket and kill switches, both switches are hooked up all the time and the life jacket is on if the big motor is on.

Rocket

Rocket,

I actually lowered the motor 1/4" below where Bill was running it to make it easier to learn how to drive. I am set up at 1/8" above the pad, and he had it at 3/8" above. If I move it up, it will be no higher than that, since like you said, him getting pitched twice kindof tells me that is the razors edge of setup, and I dont want to be on that edge.

As for life jacket and kill switches, both switches are hooked up all the time and the life jacket is on if the big motor is on.

Bob,,, It's not my place to Preach...... So many times I've seen the Ambulance leave the pits with guys and gals in it,,, Some to never return,,,,,,,, at speeds much lower than 100mph........... So,, I worry about guys on the LAKE with NO HELP!!!!

I was you once,,,,,, But I choose to do it where there was a Trained Rescue staff and a "Flight for life" sitting on stand by.................................

Just BE careful will ya?

ROCKET's $.02

whipper

What you said Rocket!! I was at the lake today and not a sole on the lake. I wanted to string her out just a bit more and that thought came to mind as you just said.
What if at the ragged edge something happens. There a real good comfort zone thats totaly safe and its only 3 mph slower some times. Fast enough for today. I made it home :wink

xb03fs

I notice you said you feel safer 3 mph slower than a prop is capable is that the same even in the higher pitches. Becuase I have to admit, it seems props that top out at 70 are scary at 70 but fine at 67, props that top out at 76 are feel safe at 73 and ones that feel good at 82 are good at 78, as I keep climbing the ladder so to speak is that the way it stays?

I only like to keep it strung out for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile in perfect water but I will run miles 3 or 4 mph slower a couple of bumps slower than th emax for any given prop???

whipper

There a real good comfort zone thats totaly safe and its only 3 mph slower some times. :wink
Some times is a 25 trophy that on my boat were i am can get to 86 all things perfict or 83 anyday anytime in a hurry. The trim to get that last 3mph is acouple bumps on the edge side. Of course the taller the prop the bigger the spread {some times}:big grin I hear ya.

FLYING BUTCHER

I better put my two cents in here (before anyone gets hurt)???
first only got wet once in this boat but once in ANY boat is enough?? (other time was in the 03 witch blow out from CLE LU) Bob is a little heaver than I am and is running the trolling motor. I have run the boat higher that 3/8" but didn't gain any speed so for my two cents I would stay close to that setup. The reason you are having some difficulity from say 25 to 90 is because the trim can not keep up with the boat. She is way to wet and waiting to get up on pad. You need to either run 24 volts to the trim motor or get an offshore trim motor. You are really going to notice this slow trim when ya run the drag prop. It is going to be a handful steering waiting for the trim to get her up. Best to try from say 45 mph up. As far as Rocket stated most all of us started out looking for top end numbers! BUT stringing her out for long distances?? hard on engines, taking chance on hitting something-unseen boat wakes etc. For me running 100 in 11 seconds compared to 110 running across lots of water??? I'll take the 11 seconds. Very first thing I reccomend is get yourself a helmut and lifeline vest!!! You may feel safe but believe me there is no guarantee some mechanical "thing" can go wrong and get you hurt. Enjoy boating and going fast everyone BUT do take all and every safety precaution available to ya. have fun be safe

Bobalouie

Hey Bill,

If you remember, we hooked up 24V up trim and 12V down. You are right about keeping up with the steering on the hard holeshots though.

When I ease into the upper speeds, it settles right down at 75-80 mph, and from there on up it is easy. When accellerating hard from the hole up thru those speeds, I am not used to what the boat needs from me and I am probably a little behind.

I am the same as you though, I want to run 100 in the shortest time possible, not string it out for 3 miles looking for 105. I have spent almost all my time learning to drive by getting up to a speed and then just easing in more throttle or bumping the trim trying to learn to drive on the pad. I have almost no time at all learning to accellerate hard up to those speeds, which in this boat is another learning curve I have to master.

I tell you what, I have a whole new respect for the drag guys who are running 100 mph in the quarter. There is a whole lot more going on than just running a hundred.

I found thru experimentation that 1 bump up from full down, then hammer the gas, wait about 1/2 a second, then go up on the trim for about 2.5-3 seconds puts me 1 bump from being at where the trim needs to be to run. (8 on the gage). That kept the boat from bouncing at takeoff, just up and away, no bouncing. You think maybe I am trimmed too much too early? Maybe let it set down then get on the up trim?

FLYING BUTCHER

Old guy thing "remember we ran 24 volt to trim"?? What day is it?? You are on right track as far as not trimming all the way under. When I ran the boat (same on my 03) I ran a long bolt through the clamp so the engine could not trim all the way under. I would do the same on your setup. She wants to jump out so hard that you need to get the trim going as soon as ya can. When ya leave hard have the steering wheel a little to the right as she will jump out hard to the left, your trolling motor is causing it to want to lay over on that side also. When ya get a chance just leave the trolling motor frame on the boat and unscrew the twist nut on top of the shaft and remove it and the steering pedal. Strap on the drag prop and then go give her a run. Remember that when you start out you can adjust the position of the trim buttons on the steering wheel by rocking (hydraulic steering) clear against one end of the steering. You want the trim buttons so that when you are setting still a right button is at 4:00. She will blast out to the left then you will straighten her out and with your right hand now at about 12 oclock you can run the trim. You ain't jokin about drag racers! Can you imagine trying to drag with turn signal type trim?? That's why I went to 3 trim buttons on the wheel. That little white mother leaves hard!! enjoy ole friend have fun be safe