Motor Totor? Yes or No

NormALLY

Ha Yall,

How many yall use a motor totor and how many don't give a hoot cause it don't hurt nutin runnin without one.

I asked a marine dealer (non Allison) about using a turn buckle for the bow eye and his responce was "let it bounce! You ever had to git up in there and change a bow eye before." I said to myself that makes allot of sense don't worry about holdin the bow down. Let it bounce. But then if I were to install a motor totor would I create unwanted stress on my transome?

What's your take on this sitchy-attion?

RedAllison

Norm you CAN'T duplicate the stress on a transom while it's on the trailer that it takes while blastin down the lake. The force while on the water is THOUSANDS of times larger. Unless you have an older wooden Alli transom, you CAN'T tear the transom up unless you either involve rocks/timber/concrete or someone rear ends the boat on the road.

As for toters, they are only good for scratchin up the gearcase, bendin the bolts between the mid and the gearcase and as well they are hell on motor mounts!!!
RA

John S

I cant believe a salesman said to leave the boweye untied. Hopefully he doesnt offer his advice too often.

whipper

All of the above!! I recked my paint job on my gear case with one of those things. I had to sand and bondo to fix the thing. I live were there are rough roads and for a year now have ran with out the toter and its way better. When you look in the mirror going down the road there is very little movement. I got the wedge steering stoppers to keep the motor straight! Those things are the cats meow,I highly recomend them. I also sinch the bow down. Not to tight just to stop the hull from bunceing. I do the rear also with straps. When you boat is at home or sitting a while its a good practice to let off on the straps and turnbuckle so your hull is just cradled. If left to long forced down your hull will accualy form to the cradles in the heat. It will go to its natural form once your out on the water again but might take 10-15min. So your first run if your quike will feel funny. The more stuff your salesman sells you the more he makes. Make up your own mind and listen to Allison Owners.:beer:

K.Kiser

As long as You tow with common sense, I'd say without a transom saver is fine on an Allison as long as the engine is tilted up just enough to protect the gearcase... I think a big problem with alot of Guy's that use transom savers is that they trim down on it way to hard until every thing is pre-loaded with several hundred pounds... As for the bow-eye, I see legions of Idiots crank that winch down until it's creeking and there is absolutely no reason for it... Tighten until the lose slack is gone from the strap and let it ride... I've had an Allison with a losened bow eye from being owned by sub-geniuses that were dis-illusioned into thinking that they were cinching down an M1 tank for air travel..

bassracer

I use 2 pieces of pvc plastic pipe over the tilt rods to hold the motor up above the top tilt height to get the LU up above the road a bit more and hold it there.

mha

Interesting comments. I won't claim to know all and be right, but I'm a definite "Yes" on the subject. JMHO

I got the wedge steering stoppers to keep the motor straight! Those things are the cats meow,I highly recomend them.
Me too. Agree!!!

....if I could just remember to take em off BEFORE I launch.banghead

Blue Gray in PA

I modified a Swivel-Eze version of the transom saver to fit my new motor. It rests on the front bolts just above the LU and has spring loaded pins that extend into the holes along either side of the clamp section. I put light pressure on it to keep it from falling out but I feel better knowing the trim cylinder isn't seeing the constant bouncing of the motor and also that if the system would leak down, the skeg won't be getting close to the ground before I notice the motor is dropping.

Jimxb02

I've been using PVC pipe over the trim rams for five years with good results.

Jim

whipper

Flatout and Hack Thats what I was told. I always let the boat just rest on the bunks at home. Maybe he just told me that so I would take the straps of at home? It made sence at the time:big grin James

whipper

Hes been watching to much rugby!:laughing I dont want to name names because that seems to always get me in trouble.banghead Anyway at the lake today the hull must have bounced right back like Pamila Andersons chest skipping rope because straght off the trailer see was true and curved in all the right places!:wink :beating dead horse Kevin I always was going to make one of those but never got around to it. Great job on those! Have ya ever noticed I love those little smilly things! James

K

Kevin from FL

I'd send ya one James but it would cost a fortune :beer: