My 5th Allison

Freebird

Picked up another SS20 yesterday and was tickled to see what kind of shape it was in having driven almost 400 miles to see it in person. No doubt this puppy has spent a lot of time in a garage. Solid as a rock, and not a crack anywhere other than one small spider crack at the passenger seat base. I'm guessing fat chick and rough water. It's a 79 model boat and motor (which have been together since day 1), and it is totally unmolested short of newer interior cushions, a dumb old horn, and a dumb old radio antenna mount. Both on the deck, and both will be gone this afternoon. :big grin

This thing has only been used as a ski boat, and the motor is bolted directly to the transom. The white things you see on either side of the motor are mounts that hold a tow bar for skiing. Yep, those will be gone too along with that aluminum prop.

I had a brand spanking new '81 SS20 with a 200 which I've kicked myself for ever selling, and it felt good to get behind the wheel of another one. If you've never driven one of these old classics, you should. I've had a XTB21 (hull #1), a XR2002, and a R15, but the old 20 just feels better to me. Obviously not as fast as the 2002, but just a more comfortable boat to run. Now all I have to do is find a jackplate and a good prop to see if I can get it to go fast enough to blow out and need a nose cone. :big grin

SSTOM

That's slick my first Allison was a GT 20 white and blue it was a 78. I had a 2.5 200 on it best I ever ran it was 86 got flighty didn't push it any more. Cool old boats were way ahead of their time.

Freebird

That's slick my first Allison was a GT 20 white and blue it was a 78. I had a 2.5 200 on it best I ever ran it was 86 got flighty didn't push it any more. Cool old boats were way ahead of their time.
I was getting 83 out of my old SS, and it was rock solid at that speed. Best I remember it was with a 6" setback jackplate. Got of one Glenn Reynolds' "parabolic curve" nose cones as it would blow out around 75, but I kept the stock water pickups. I remember them running twins back in the day and assume they were running well over 100, so I'm surprised yours was flighty at 86.

I'll be happy if I can pull 80 out of this one, but a lot has changed since the mid-80's when I sold mine. I'm not even sure where to start with the setup, but I'm sure some of you guys can help me with that.

Freebird

That is one slick senior citizen right there.
Thanks! No doubt she's one of a kind in terms of being a survivor. Best one I've seen in a long time, but I'm planning on making her even better. That plain Jane blue vinyl as got to go.

Freebird

Kirk will be jealous... Beautiful boat.
It won't be the first time. :big grin

Thanks, Dave. I've been lurking on here for about a year now and hoping to find another play toy. Might have to rattle Kirk's cage and see what kind of props he has laying around.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Stupid question #5; What's the difference between a ss20 and a gt20? I owned a gt20 that got destroyed in a shed fire.

Freebird

Sure is nice !! Congratulations

22R
Thanks! How can I post an avatar like yours? I uploaded one, but it doesn't show up. Maybe there's a 20 post minimum to prove you're not a spammer... or a Bullet owner. :big grin