My newb ass in the XB03 trying to run with the faster guys.

aj06bolt12r

This is from last Sunday on Nickajack between Jasper and Chattanooga. Same place as the Jasper river run. Water was glass. I'm still new to this whole pad-v performance boat thing. You'll have to excuse the many screw ups by me... May help other new drivers to see someone still in the learning curve?

This one is a little better, has speedometer overlay.

CDUB

Hi AJ,
Those are some cool videos you have there, what kind of camera are you using to capture the moments?

Bill Mason

If that is 104 with a 03 that is hauling! What ya running on the back? Can't tell if it is camera angle or not, but looks like ya need a little more weight on the port side? Seems to be dipping to the right? Can't tell but looks like maybe a STV on right and maybe an XB2002 on left? What set up are ya run-in?Looks darn good bud.

aj06bolt12r

If that is 104 with a 03 that is hauling! What ya running on the back? Can't tell if it is camera angle or not, but looks like ya need a little more weight on the port side? Seems to be dipping to the right? Can't tell but looks like maybe a STV on right and maybe an XB2002 on left? What set up are ya run-in?Looks darn good bud.
Oh man... I wish I was running 104... No the GPS on my go-pro was having a moment... For about the 1st minute or so of the video the speed is wrong. Top speed for me was 90mph..

Running a JSRE 225 Promax, 20" mid, Hyd Jackplate about 1/4 above pad in this video, 28p hoss cut chopper.

You are correct about the weight, I had removed all of my tackle from the port locker before this run... I should not have done that, threw my balance off too much. Plus I'm just learning to drive a pad v of any kind let alone an Allison XB 2003, so that has something to do with it too.

The other boats in the video are a Mirage Jaguar with a 3.0 OMC Looper owned by John Tatakis and a center steer Bullet with a tuned Yamaha SHO owned by Michael Cox.... They were both running about 97mph.

Bill Mason

You should be able to run 95-97 . Put a little more weight on port side. Looks like you can bump the trim up just a little to get you to 95-97. Be careful running behind other boats. Their wake can really cause you problems if you run into them. You have the right prop and setup,(i/4" above pad is right on the edge), even with bottom won't hurt. Be careful and have fun. Oh make sure you have engine hight measured right? Boat level ( put a level about 2-3' from bottom back of boat), motor level (put small level on prop shaft), measure a couple inches from back bottom of the boat to the ground then from ground to middle of prop shaft. The difference will show true prop shaft height compared to boat bottom.
Have fun be safe

aj06bolt12r

You should be able to run 95-97 . Put a little more weight on port side. Looks like you can bump the trim up just a little to get you to 95-97. Be careful running behind other boats. Their wake can really cause you problems if you run into them. You have the right prop and setup,(i/4" above pad is right on the edge), even with bottom won't hurt. Be careful and have fun. Oh make sure you have engine hight measured right? Boat level ( put a level about 2-3' from bottom back of boat), motor level (put small level on prop shaft), measure a couple inches from back bottom of the boat to the ground then from ground to middle of prop shaft. The difference will show true prop shaft height compared to boat bottom.
Have fun be safe
Yessir... I hear ya on the wake from the other boats... I was fighting that almost the whole time in the 1st video. The lip on my pad is mostly gone and I have about 25psi water pressure at WOT so I actually believe the engine needs to come up more to get more speed? I was experimenting with the trim this day... The prop is hooked up well, if I bump the trim the boat responds with bow rise but I don't really gain any speed, just more attack angle? Don't know for sure... just been reading everything I can find trying to learn.

Steve B

I am also learning to drive my XB2003.
Tuned SHO - Crazy acceleration 26P Hoss.
Very stabile up to the mid sixty's - best so far is 78 MPH with lots to go.
Seems like the nose is very positive , buy if I trim up she really starts to chime.
Find if I keep trim down a little until 70 then tap it up a bit works best.

Bill Mason

Couple things come to mind, first does your sho have a high speed lower unit? Make sure your boat is balanced from side to side. Do you have hydraulic steering or cable? This is the speed where you should feel the boat crawl up on pad. You can almost feel a bump as it gets there. If you have stock steering you will need to keep slightly rocking your steering wheel to the left until you get all the way up on pad. Just a little but keeping pulling left. If all else fails lower your engine so its 1/2" below pad. As I told you, your are right on the edge at current height. Make sure you are measuring correctly. 1/2" below is a good place to start. This all takes time. After you get hang of it you will be flying near 100!!

aj06bolt12r

Best thing I can tell you is make sure the boat is balanced. If the boat leans a touch to the port side at 70 that is better than leaning the other way, just makes it easier to drive. It's all going to come down to creating the muscle memory so you don't have to consciously think about every steering correction. If your like I was before I could drive on pad you know what you are supposed to be doing but the amount that you are moving the wheel and the timing of your steering corrections are just off. The only way to develop this muscle memory is to make sure the boat is set up close to where it should be and just keep trying.

Less trim is easier to drive until a certain point, I find that over 80mph too little trim actually makes the boat harder to balance.

Try running around at about 60mph before the boat starts to want to chine walk. Have the trim where you know it is down too far. Start bumping the trim up a little bit at a time until you feel the hull free up. It should then take a little less throttle to maintain 60mph. This should be enough trim to run in the 70-75 mph range. Then leave the trim mostly alone and just keep trying to speed up to about 70-75 and balance the boat on the pad at that speed for a distance. If you mess up and the boat starts walking just slow down until you get it gathered back up and then start speeding up again. Over and over again, you will start being able to balance the boat on pad for longer and longer amounts of time and realizing what you are doing wrong when you screw up. Before long you will find that your foot is buried on the floor and you need more trim to go faster... But when that happens your mistakes will be amplified, so don't rush it.

I made several trips to the lake without being able to consistently run on pad... One day I finally got fed up and just picked a long straightaway with little boat traffic and just kept running back and forth, over and over, doing nothing but trying to balance on pad. Washing the decals over and over and not giving a panda who was watching or what they thought about the guy with the go fast boat who couldn't drive. That was the day I finally got the feel for it... Of course I am still not a master, as evidenced in my videos.

One more tip I can give you is that its easier to get the boat on pad quickly than it is to creep up onto the pad. It might feel odd to punch it when you are not confident in your ability to balance the boat. But get cruising around 60 like I said before and then get on the gas pretty good you will actually feel the boat come up on pad, you will be sitting higher out of the water, this is the exact time when your steering inputs will be required. The boat will fall off to one side or the other and it will be up to you to catch it with steering input. Just put in the time. It may help to have someone experienced drive the boat with you in it just so you can see the hand movements in person and they can probably give you some pointers.

SLOmofo

What he said........ ja06bolt 12r . Look far ahead of the boat not the bow. As the boat starts to lean you will see it and your inner ear (balance)subconsciously will feel it and you'll begin to react automatically. I drove around the lake thru all sorts of conditions. Started about 60 mph and once I got OK there.... bumped it up 5 mph and did it again. Trim up/down over wakes, flat water chop whatever. If the boat gets ahead of you back out of the gas...don't chop the throttle. Wax on, wax off grasshopper.

aj06bolt12r

Yessir, gotta love Nickajack for river riding.. Great combination of sweeping bends, gorgeous scenery, protection from the wind and lack of heavy boat traffic.