Need some advice on making my Alli better.

BornYoung

Need some advice on making my Alli better.
Purchased used 10 years ago from the original owner, loss interest fishing and boating for 3 ½ years, but now back into taking family and Grand Daughter out on fishing trips.
1999 xb2003
24v Motorguide 3 batteries , one behind left of center below oil tank, one each on left and right compartments, Minnkota onboard charger (charges all batteries while driving) mounted on port (should have mounted on (starboard) have lead shot on starboard to balance out

175hp Evinrude Ficht Direct 24” Raker Prop 8” Detwiler Jackplate
Orginal Cable steering
Previous owner put the shorter Jack plate due to not fitting in garage, still have the original Allison jackplate.
Top Speed at 5500 rpm around 67 with full fishing load
Never measure pro height but it’s buried
Now that winter and fishing slow down some what
Should I just plug up the upper the water intake and jack the motor up?
Thinking of pulling the lower unit and sending it to JC prop and having lower unit for low water pick up, cone the unit, reseal and anything else while it's out ???
My questions are should I do that for the lower unit? It’s worth the effort?
Reintall the original Jack plate but I will have to extend the back of my garage out to fit will have to wait till spring/summer
Sorry I not representing the Allison Brand with high HP Merc but in my stage of life I just enjoy being out fishing and time out with the family on the boat.

gmorgan

JC’s is no longer an option. Maybe Bob’s or Jason Wolf. Allisons much prefer a higher engine setting for handling purposes and speed. Sure wish you could see your way into a 200+ HP Merc motor.

dubmoney

Great to hear you are getting back into the swing of things. You should try and come up to Shasta the third week in May for the Allison Rally. As for the upgrades. I would suggest you install a water pressure gauge if you don't already have one. That way you will know when you run out of water as you raise the motor up. ( I just ordered on from Livorsi for about 100 bucks to replace the one that had gone bad.) I am going to guess that the max speed you will ever see with 175 is about 85 mph. That is the speed at which a nose cone will be needed. If you are able to raise the motor and run near 80, I would call that good, I don't know if its worth the money to add nose cone for the extra 5 mph. It is possible that you will run out of water pressure once you get into the 75 mph range, it that case you could send out for a nose cone to try and gain the 10 mph that may still be possible with your motor. I hear that JC can take up 6 months for a nose cone, if not more. There is a new guy in Florida that is doing them, for a really fair price. and of course bob's may be able to do you up. There is one other guy on scream and fly that does it, I am sure there are others. I have 8" of static set back with 6" hydraulic jack plate. Some will argue against it, but like to me able to jack the motor up it gives me a a safe feeling when towing on the road. I use blocks under the jackplate to raise it up 1/8th of an inch at a time.

BornYoung

I would love to switch to Merc but unfortunately that's not in the plans for the future.
I do have pressure gauge and will try to rise it up to see how much more I can get out of it before water pressure drops off.
May and Sept are really bad months for me, Wife/Travel Agent always has some plan trip abroad with the Family. Hence I haven't made the pass few years of the WAR, I did have the pleasure of the Delta WAR and it was a BLAST, even with the slowest boat.
Thanks for the feedback

David Lanham

I'm thinking the best with this type of motor will be mid to upper 70s.

Yea, the perfect tall pitch prop, prefect setback, minimal weight in the boat, cool weather, one might be able to get into the 80 MPH range but that's not the aveage day realaistic baoting conditions.

With that, your on the fence of needing a conded case or not. Some low 70 mph rigs have actually lost top end speed by adding a cone case. As mentioned above, 85 ish is the transition mark for needing a surfacing case.

I drove an XB2003 PS with a 175 Faststike once (wasn't mine), stock case and it ran 76. Think it was run n a Renegade prop. It drove just fine.

I would play with the set up, setback and props first then enjoy fishing with your grandaughter.

Dito on the water pressure gage, its a must.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you pick up a few MPH? Probably. Is it worth it to you is the question. Your last statement makes me think you should run it and enjoy being out with family. A couple MPH either way won't really make a difference. With family in the boat I wouldn't expect you to be putting up big numbers anyhow.

"Sorry I not representing the Allison Brand with high HP Merc but in my stage of life I just enjoy being out fishing and time out with the family on the boat."

BornYoung

Thanks everybody, I'll try the plugging up the upper inlet and jack the motor up and see how much better it gets.
What's the best way to plug those holes on the water inlet and not have them come loose?

BornYoung

4 holes build into the lower unit with mesh screen behind, thinking maybe wood dowels cut flush as possible and silicone glue them?

SLOmofo

As already suggested. Enjoy the boat. Water pressure gauge is a must. For test purposes you might try using a piece of Gaffers tape across the holes. Make it go from one side to the other wrapping around the front of the lower unit. Not cheep but once you use some you'll love it for a lot of projects that duct tape doesn't cut it.

SLOmofo

As already suggested. Enjoy the boat. Water pressure gauge is a must. For test purposes you might try using a piece of Gaffers tape across the holes. Make it go from one side to the other wrapping around the front of the lower unit. Not cheep but once you use some you'll love it for a lot of projects that duct tape doesn't cut it.
Use the dowels under the tape.

BornYoung

What happens to the plastic screen behind the holes? There is no access behind them. Would be much better to tap and screw them in for appearance as final after the tape to test.
Has anybody plugged more then just the upper one hole? Thinking last time out was getting 15+ psi