Need some Opinions

BornYoung

Hello All and by the way GREAT BOARD!
After wanting and waiting for a Alli for 15 years and 4 boats later, I just purchase a (new to me) 2000 xb2003 with 175 Evinrude (Jaco Marine) from old gent. He removed the Allison jack plate and install 8

22R

Congratulations and Welcome to Allison owners. I'm not rear familiar with OMC's but I would guess that it would run near 80 mph. I would think that the motor would be pretty reliable with not too many hours on it. Take your time getting used to it and you will be flyin smooth in no time. Get ready to be asked lots of questions at the service stations !! Good Luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Later,
22R

tekajo

I have a xb2003 that had a Johnson 175 faststrike. I think the evinrude is called an intruder. They are well thought of motors in the OMC world. Lot of info at http://www.bassboatcentral.com/index.htm under Johnson/evinrude motors. The performance is limited by rpm. I think the limiter is set at 5850. I ran a 26 pitch trophy and the boat ran 73 mph pretty much empty or loaded. Holeshot was excellent. That is the motors strong point. I read an article somewhere that a later model OMC in that horsepower range with a 29 pitch srx ran near 80. I would think you could do the same. I later upgraded to a promax 225 but there is nothing wrong with the OMC They are also very low weight.

LAAllison

I don't run a Johnrude but my buddy has an Intruder 175 and I've been impressed by how smooth and strong it is. My guess is high 70's and I wouldn't change the jack plate until you figure out how well it works as is. After you get all you're going to get from it as is then play around changing things. I only run 8" set back on my XS w/225 Super Mag and don't feel a need to go back any more. Welcome aboard. Be safe.

Art

Roll Tide

Mr. Scary

We sold an XB-2003 with a 175 Intruder and it would run right at about 80 on the speedo. We ran it with a 29 SRX and 12 or 14" of setback and a Bob's Nosecone. It'll like the setback. Nice, smooth motor and a great all around package. It is a little difficult running with the rev limiter. Getting rid of it doesn't help a ton because that motor doesn't make much horsepower over that, so you want to prop it for about 6,000 RPM or so.

badbait

Welcome to the board where abouts are you in Calif? If it is possible you should try to make it to the WAR rally in May. You will meet some real nice guys with and get some help if it's needed.

R

Redding XB21

I still consider myself a "newbe" to Allisons. There are times (not too many anymore) that I thought I might have been better off with less HP to start out. It is really hard to keep your foot out of it if you know there is more there:laughing. The best "opinion" I have is Don't be intimidated by others and just drive at YOUR comfort level. That is when you know that you are in control. Honestly, it's taken me alot longer to learn since I don't get it out that much. When I was at WAR 06, I learned alot, War 07 alot more. There are times I hate to stop and fish the boat is running so well:embarassed.
You really need to make the WAR, as Bill (Badbait) said, a great group of guys and even tho not all are Allison owners we have a great time!

We even have another OMCEEZER in the group

Welcome Aboard Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

GFinch

"We even have another OMCEEZER in the group"

Gene, if you had one it would be a OMGeezer ! ! ! :laughing

Welcome, where in The Land Of Fruits and Nuts, do you live?

That engine will be real good to learn with and then if you want later put a bigger one on it. I started with a stock 200 OMCease then an unstock OMCease.

BornYoung

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!
Where the location of the Rally? I'm in Sacramento but might only be able to make the weekend due to my work. I'm sure this boat and I will be match along time.

Ally03 200xs

Hey BornYoung,

Congrats on the new boat! I hear your less than one minute from my house. If you want to go to WAR together let me know. You, Gordon, and George are less than 5 miles from my house. Good luck on the new boat!

J

John Richied

Congratulations on your Allison!!!
Like the others said, you need to make the rally on the Delta this May

JR

In Neil's video, it looks like he could have gotten some more speed with more setback or maybe UP-trim.
What is everyone else's opinion?
JR

R

Redding XB21

Neil is known as the "sandbagger" of the group.:laughing He didn't want the true TE to be video'd. It's a national (well West Coast anyway) secret:smile. He's got it running pretty darn good!

R

Redding XB21

Most of the Allison guys fish and are really serious about fishing. We only go fast 'cause we can:laughing. I hate to say it but, its kinda cool when at weighin, they ask "when you were going up the McCloud arm, how fast were you going?":smile:smile
Over time you'll learn to deal with the speed and enjoy it too.