New Allison Owner

jonrew

Guys,
Need some help. I am considering buying a 1993 21XTB w/a 2004 225EFI. Boat is in excellent condition. Any advise? Are these things a handfull to drive? I've driven Champs and Rangers but not Allisons. Is 13k a fair price for this boat? You are the experts....help!
john r

22R

It sounds fair to me if the boat is in that good of shape. Seems like alot to most people, but that is what you are gonna pay for a well kept Ally and the motor is real current. Driving it will take a little practice, but it will be second nature before long. Welcome to the wonderful world of Allison Boats and Owners.
22R

citabriatom

Was this boat recently on EBay?If it's the one I'm thinking of...looked like a good deal(I bid on it but didn't meet the reserve).

jonrew

Yeah...it went off last night. I've been talking to the guy (he is local for me) for a couple of months and we're going for a ride tomorrow. I'll probably make him an offer.

Myron

Allisons are not a hand full to drive, different yes, once you understand and don't get in a hurry you will never go back to other boats, trust me

BigRedAlli

jonrew,
If the guy is an experienced Allison pilot, he could give you a lot of help on your test drive. One of the most exciting experiences is learning to drive. Big Rush!!!:p

Welcome to the Family...

Marty

brotherxb03

If you drive it trying to use positive trim like a ranger you will think it is a handfull. Before I bought mine 2 years ago the guy I bought it from said,it drives like no other bass boat you owned. Have owned a hydro stream with a 200 merc and several other bass boats with 200's I didn't beleive what he said,but it is true.

jonrew

Marty,
Unfortunately he's only owned it for a season and he sounds skerred. He says he has had it up on the pad....we'll see.

jonrew

brother,
I've driven Hyros back in the 70's my self. What is the difference with the Allys?

Scott in MN

Make sure you have a life jacket on during your test drive with him if he is sounding scared......should have a jacket on all the time.

GFinch

Other boat owners don't call Allison's "Hookers" for nothing. If the previous owner doesn't know how to handle the boat don't put your life in his hands.
It could be the boat isn't set up correctly or has a problem. But when you do buy it theres alot of help here and you will find the answer.

Always wear your life jacket. Life insurance doesn't pay off for I think seven years with out a body.

Always hook up the kill switch. If ya don't the boat WILL come back for you.....

The trim switch is your friend and your enemy. Too little or too much, well you'll find out quickly.

An Allison isn't a Hydro, they don't have sponsons to keep you from "Washing The Decals" They have a pad for You to balance the boat on.

Be safe and best of luck.

SSTOM

The XTB 21 is a great boat and is a great fishing platform. Listen to ever one take your time wear your lj and hook up the kill switch. Once you learn it you won't have any other boat. Tom

Speedman

Welcome! where are you buying it from, I bet someone here may live close and be willing to help. When I bought mine in 1995, I had no one to teach me how to drive and for 2 years, teh best I could do is 78 mph without feeling a ton of torque and afraid to do more. I came from a 15' stratos with a 115 on it!. Then a boat racer/former Ally owner gave me some pointers and helped me out. The problem was there are sweet spots and rough spots and I thought for sure there was something wrong with my set up. When we went out, I watched the speedo go up and when we hit 78 he just kept going and going all the way to 90. When we came back, I asked about the torque at 78 and he said it was just rough position on trim and throttle. SO with him by my side, I worked it past 78, while sweating, and holy crap at 80 it was smooth and 85 was even smoother! I was right to not push it without knowing what would happen and now 90 seems slow! Take your time and you will get it. Even if you can't do 90, 80 is still waly faster than most of the competition!

RedAllison

jon is that boat close too KY Lake? (For some reason I want to say that I've seen this boats ad before!) If so I'd be glad to meet you somewhere like Cuba Landing and we'll giver a test run. Cuba would be a GREAT place to check one out, that long narrow stretch of water in front of it is where I broke my Alli in. "Flyin an Alli" is different than anyother vee bottom, but once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature. If the guy who owns it is skeert, he aint gonna be much help. In fact since you are new too these hulls he could be a hinderance.

I'm in Grand Cayman right now but I'll be home next week. If you want to and can set it up maybe we can check it out that Saturday after New Years? Gimme a hollar if I can help! ;)

RedAllison@charter.net
RA

whipper

Jon if ya buy this Allison take RA up on his offer its not that an Alli is hard to drive like what was said just differant than what your used to. When your talken about 100+mph boats differant is enough to warrent a little poss advice for safety. The main thing Allison does over other boats is ride at high speed with way less hull in the water.At lower speed like 60 and less shes not much diff than the rest sorta.So if your not used to driving super high performance hulls will at speed want to chine walk like all high performance Vees do. The way ya apply the trim the way ya steer her and the way ya let off a high speed run is were some advice and instruction would save you a lot of time getting to know your hull. There are some very good threads a while back with links and the instruction were talking about.Go back on the pages and look for threads like {chine walk} and if ya buy this Allison let us know and you will get all the help you will need from set up to what ever buy some very experianced Allison owners. Ive had my GSE for just under a year now and its been the best year on the water I have ever had and in large part because of the support network we have hear! James

NormALLY

John

It's easly to go fast. Mash it and it'll go. Trim it and it will rise out of the water. Look down and all of a sudden your doing 80. Leave enough control and room on the water to Ease Down On The Throttle Slowly and avoid bow steering the boat into the tules. Have fun and good luck.

Norm

brotherxb03

The main advice I can give you is to practice in a open bay or lake,don't use much positive trime and don't chop off the throttle at WOT. When I first got mine I didn't have my boat dialed in on the set up and choped off the throttle with a 26 hydromotive cleaver and spun it around at 75. Once you get used to driving, it's a hell of a boat. My XB03 winns hands down over my hydro stream varmit. Although my varmit use to pull ski's with a 28 hoss cut chopper,the xb03 has just as good of a hole shot,but the boat pop's out of the water on a level plain,doesn't have a midrange hop like the stream and has plenty more storage and rides twice as good. The only thing I don't run WOT in a narrow canal or right next to a boat. You can call me parinoid or whatever,but i call it safe operation.

Last edited:

White Ally02

Jon if ya decide to meet Red at Cuba landing (blue creek) yall let me know what day yall goin down and I would like to meet yall down there.

jonrew

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the advise and offers of help. The test drive got pushed back to tomorrow at noon on the Tennessee River at New Johnsonville. If all goes well I will definite be taking RA up on his offer of help. It sure will shorten the learning curve.
Thanks Again,
John