New best for my XB21/250

GotMyAlly

Ran 91 this morning at 6200 RPMs with a 28" Hydromotive X-OB with 3/4 tank of gas, full livewells, and full fishing load.

More to come......still need to massage the gearcase a little.

I'm not looking for any more out of this prop, it'll be a good fishin' prop. I think with a top end wheel with more pitch to bring the RPMs back down into the power band, there's several more MPH there.

catfish123

DAYUM Neal...........I didn't know they had lakes over 10 miles long down there :LMAO::LMAO::LMAO:

Allyfishing

Hey Neal, that's awesome!! Did ya get to try out your trusty old 28P QIV-OT yet? And have ya figured out your engine height?

GotMyAlly

I haven't measured to see exactly where it was, but by the guage I can run considerably higher with the 3L than I could with my 2.5......I guess the bigger water pump on the 3L will hold water pressure where the 2.5 would not. I had the jackplate pretty close to topped out. It was so close to the breaking point that the water pressure would drop from 25 to 10-12 if I let the boat wobble on the pad just a little.

I haven't tried the OT yet........if I don't try it by then, I'll run it at the rally. I've been fishing more than anything else lately, and the holeshot of the X-OB with a load in the boat is impressive to say the least.

Meyers

Neal...sounds like you have dialed in for fishing and close for a top end run this summer at Fast Pass! I do the same as you, keep raising until the water pressure flutters and then bump it down one time to keep it water pressure steady...My fastest this spring was 93, I was turning a 30 Bravo I at 5750-5780 but I was by myself and backed out of it since I was in the middle of Lake George with no one near me!

Last edited:

Allyfishing

Good point Neal. Maybe the weight of the 3 liter engine is also holding the back end down a bit too. Who knows, I'm just guessing. Sounds like you guys have the setup dialed in perfectly. I talked to Lee recently and he said I should be able to raise a bit over the pad as well til the pressure drops to 20 and then I should be good. I just have not been able to get over that mental block yet of thinking a lighter engine will not keep the butt end locked in. LOL!! Soon, I hope!!

catfish123

Strap a couple of 25 pound bags of shot to the sides of your motor Craig...........that should take care of that worry...........:LMAO:

GotMyAlly

This boat doesn't take a set and have that locked-in feel like my 03 did. But I think that will come with lower unit work and maybe removing some pad lip.

RedAllison

IMHO the big barges AINT gonna have that "locked in feel" like the smaller boats. To much physics at work there. (Never driven a 21 with pad work so can't comment on how they'd feel)

:cool
RA

Allyfishing

Strap a couple of 25 pound bags of shot to the sides of your motor Craig...........that should take care of that worry...........:LMAO:
:LMAO: OH crap...ya mean the two 25 LB bags of shot I have in the port side rear hatch won't work there??? LOL!!! OK, then I'll duck tape them to the sides of the cowling!! LOL!!!

GotMyAlly

IMHO the big barges AINT gonna have that "locked in feel" like the smaller boats. To much physics at work there. (Never driven a 21 with pad work so can't comment on how they'd feel)

:cool
RA
A nosecone that looks like a 9 year old beat it into shape with a mallet doesn't help either......

TBuck2003

Good point Neal. Maybe the weight of the 3 liter engine is also holding the back end down a bit too. Who knows, I'm just guessing. Sounds like you guys have the setup dialed in perfectly. I talked to Lee recently and he said I should be able to raise a bit over the pad as well til the pressure drops to 20 and then I should be good. I just have not been able to get over that mental block yet of thinking a lighter engine will not keep the butt end locked in. LOL!! Soon, I hope!!
Not going to second guess Lee, but keep in mind that Neal is running a 15" diameter with big blade area. You might end up wet trying to repeat motor height thinking all is equal with set up. Just an FYI... Be fast Be safe... I realize you said 20 PSI but just be careful.

TBuck

Allyfishing

I know Todd.....I remember the tail wag all too well that day with you. I wasn't behind the wheel so I don't know the engine height at the time but that kind of stuff stays in my mind. I'm a solid 25 PSI at WOT. Careful it is.