New Owner in Peru

AllisonPERU

Hello Jon, nice Forum you run.
I have had for almost twenty years a peruvian made Allison copy from the eighties ( you couldn’t import boats to our closed economy on those days). in 2013 somebody imported a used 2011 GS 2003 which was neglected and I bought it last year, now I am in the process of restoring it.
Next week it should be on the water sporting a stock Evinrude etec 200 HP with a 20” leg, will first try an Evinrude 23” Viper prop. The boat will be used in a bay on salt water. I have no hydraulic jack plate will first set the engine 5” back and the prop shaft 1” bellow the pad, expecting around 75 mph before looking for the right propeller. Will soon post some pictures.

Jessie

Congrats on your Allison boat. Take your time and learn how to drive the boat. Welcome to the forum.

Wave to Wave

Ya, you'll want low water, coned. I have a 150 Merc on a GS, 1/4" below the pad,(7.5" setback) 1.92 gears, runs 80 MPH with a 30" promax prop.

AllisonPERU

Hello again, thank you for your comments, here is my update.
The owner of the shop where my Allison is got Covid19 and just reopened yesterday so my boat is not yet in the water.
I have given the boat maximum setback with my plate, 6" and the shaft now is 3" bellow the pad.
The other big change is that my boat is a 2000, not a 2011 as told by the seller, my HIN is ALTGSB28L900. Hope to have it running by the end of next week. Pictures are as found and as cleaned, before starting work, Merc engine destroyed. Regards149861498714986149871498814988

AllisonPERU

Hello again, first runs today, conditions not good foot and a half chop with 14 knot wind.
initial setup 5” below pad and 6” setback, four on board aprox. 700 lbs and full gas tank 30 gallons. The boat wouldn't even get on plane till we shifted the weight to the front then got it on plane.
Second attempt lifted the engine to 3 ½ below pad, everything identical got on plane almost immediately, however we topped 61mph at 4,000 rpm which doesn’t make sense with 1.86 ratio 23” pitch, tach is ok and speed by gps.
Tomorrow will try again, hopefully on flat water.
Any ideas? Perhaps the prop has been modified, it is a Quicksilver part # 48 75724-A 23P.

AllisonPERU

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday before putting the boat in the water we checked the tachometer against my friend’s Evinrude diagnose computer, everything matched yet I was only topping 61 mph @ 4,000 rpm, today found the tach got wrong because it would only climb to 3,500 need a new tach!!! Today I was able to pull a skier. Doing my calculations I am actually at almost 6,000 rpm, will look to raise the motor ( no hydraulic jackplate yet ) another ¾”. Motor has standard lowercase with water intake in the front of the cone and another intake some inches above, still not overheating, I have a thru hub exhaust what prop would you recommend? Thinking about the Evinrude Raker II 14.5 X 24”

Wave to Wave

Ya, I think that has the L2 gearcase, so you should be able to raise it reasonably high. The goal should be to get low water pick up and run it 1/4 below.
How is the hull? have you inspected it to be straight? Is the lip still on it? (the lip is the slight rise at the edge of the running surface, on the pad and inside running surface.

Wave to Wave

And you can run more pitch, see if you can try 26" to 28" props, especially when you get the gearcase higher.

AllisonPERU

Thank you very much, today I started trying to control Chine Walk and was able to hold it at the limit ( with the prop and actual setup) at 64mph for around 20 seconds ( yesterday as soon as I hit above 60 had to back off, really feel I am going forward ) looked in this Forum and found great advise on handling and the Red Book is the real base of it.
Now a question, I have two prop possibilities now, both Evinrude Raker II, 13.5 X 24 or 14.5 X 24 is larger diameter better? I need it as a ski boat so need a good holeshot.
Thank you Wave to Wave, your videos are great. I live in Perú and it is impossible to get a nose cone done here and borders are closed because of Covid, hope to find one in the US and bring it home with me.
Yes I have the L2 gearcase and thinking about blocking the upper water inlets and drilling the tip of the cone ones larger to increase their flow.
As said before, my goal ( for now ) is 75mph and pull skiers, who knows later...

Wave to Wave

Glad you're getting some seat time, just take it slow and it will come. Yes, you can block your upper intakes, and make the lower one larger, that will help. Make sure your steering is 100%, tight with no slop. When you get the tach working, report back the speeds and RPM. Get used to driving it at 60, until it is second nature, then try 5 MPH at a time. Boat looks great.

Lotus 50

The smaller diameter Raker is probably a V4 13 spline prop. You should be able to pull a skier with a 24, and be mid-high 60's on the rev limiter.

SLOmofo

"Get used to driving it at 60, until it is second nature, then try 5 MPH at a time. " Yep thats the way! Drive it at each 5mph till you get it at different trim angles and over different wakes and waves. Then speed up another 5mph. Do it again. Wax on wax off.

AllisonPERU

Answering Wave to Wave, the hull is perfect and the lip is there in perfect shape too, about 1.5mm thick.
Today some more ski and a couple of passes at 63 to 64mph with chine walk controlled.
About to see the mechanic tomorrow to raise the engine ¾” and try again before deciding what prop.