New Owner in Peru

AllisonPERU

Hello All, I have been quite for a while, changes are slow here. Everytime I want to make a change have to order parts to a forwarder in Miami and then import things into Perú, really slow process!!!
Just tried my new prop today, an Evinrude Raker 14.5 X 24, hit 70mph on the GPS, still able to pull out a skier. Boat felt a lot less stable above 60 and couldn’t keep it at 70 for more than a few seconds, had an 8” chop nothing bad.
Now thinking about a Mercury Fury 25” prop, any comments please?

Lotus 50

If you can borrow the Fury, sure, try it. But it’s not a prop I have ever heard an Allison owner mention. Seat time will help you be more stable. 27 or 29 SRX, Trophy, bigger Raker? Whatever you can try

Wave to Wave

Sounds like you're making progress. What RPMs are you seeing?

Make sure the steering is tight and your motor mounts are good, that will help control it. Running the gearcase with the prop shaft 1/4 below the pad is probably ideal for that setup. If you could get a nosecone kit, that would be great, not too hard to do but I understand it's hard to get stuff in Peru. A remote water pickup is possible too. Or, see if you can block your upper water pickup, and enlarge or even add inlets to your gearcase, assuming you have the L2? Already has pickup on the front? 1.86 gears?

The Trophy is a great prop overall and easy to run, not too expensive. The ProMax is great, but expensive. The Raker is actually a good prop in general, but I don't know of it being used with an Allison, might work fine for everyday use.

I think you're going to use a 26" to 30" prop depending.

AllisonPERU

Hello Wave to WaveI have the L2 with 1.86 gears, with the raker 24 I was able to maintain 72mph with 7 gallons of gas, my son 160 lbs. and myself 190 lbs.) needed a lot of trim ( I don't have a jackplate), waiting for the Mercury Fury to start trying again, changed my mind and going also 24 pitch but 14" diameter rather than 14.5 of the raker, need a better hole shot very difficult to ski with the Raker.
With the trim very high it tends to chine walk and have to be very concentrated while driving, but getting better at it putting more than an hour per week at high speeds.
Also thinking about an Allison Foil or an Allison Skid Planer, any comments about that?
Thank You

Wave to Wave

Hello Wave to WaveI have the L2 with 1.86 gears, with the raker 24 I was able to maintain 72mph with 7 gallons of gas, my son 160 lbs. and myself 190 lbs.) needed a lot of trim ( I don't have a jackplate), waiting for the Mercury Fury to start trying again, changed my mind and going also 24 pitch but 14" diameter rather than 14.5 of the raker, need a better hole shot very difficult to ski with the Raker.
With the trim very high it tends to chine walk and have to be very concentrated while driving, but getting better at it putting more than an hour per week at high speeds.
Also thinking about an Allison Foil or an Allison Skid Planer, any comments about that?
Thank You
Interesting, that's good. When the boat is out of the water, run your hand front to back on the pad, see if you notice a little lip, a slight rise in the surface at the back. If you do, that's good, that's a lip from the factory.

In general, it shouldn't need much trim. Try running less trim and slowly adjusting as you go faster. Is your steering nice and tight? Not wiggle back and forth?

It's very normal to take a while to learn to drive an Allison, sounds like you are doing well, and on your way. Solid motor mounts will help keep it steady, could machine some, if possible.

You should be able to run that gearcase pretty high, ideal is 1/4" below the pad. Could ask an Evinrude expert about enlarging the water inlets or adding two below the nose.

Try any prop you can, the Raker tends to be heavy on pitch, 24" acts like a 25 or 26". For skiing, any 4 or 5 blade low pitch should be good. I think you could run a 26" Trophy as an all around prop, a 28 Promax or ET as a top speed prop. Best setback with that engine is probably about 8" to 10".

Skid planer is great. I know it's tough getting stuff down there, sounds like you're doing great so far. Hope that's helpful.

AllisonPERU

Hi, the lip in the Pad is there, hull is perfect!
I will put the new prop before moving anything else but giving it a though on the Ally Foil or the Skid Planer, seems the Foil is easier to install.
Going to Miami on Saturday for a few days, will try getting the foil on time.
Has any body tried the Permatrim Hydrofoil?
I know I will try many more props before I settle for one or who knows more than one... Don't want a boat faster than 80 for the moment, have teenager kids who are allowed to use it by themselves or with friends...

Lotus 50

The kids won’t be able to drive much past 60 without some seat time. None of my family has mastered my boat yet so none of them go fast

AllisonPERU

My kids are 18 and 16, avid drivers. Of course wit all the safety measures. they are handling the boat very well at 70.
Next week I will receive the Fury 24, hope it woks well.

AllisonPERU

Hello, now I have installed a 24” Fury prop, doing 72 mph with 2 on board, slow holeshot, can barely pull out a 180 pound skier with just one on board, handling trickier flat out than the same pitch Raker and also the Raker pulled the same skier easier. All this with the hub 2” below the pad and 6” of setback. Today I ordered a Trophy Plus 27” pitch and probably a Raker 23”.
on the other hand the Fury has a great mid range and makes the boat corner great, if circuit racing it would be great.

AllisonPERU

After some time of silence, an update.
Now using a 22” Raker HO with adjustable vents, simply wonderful, can pull the skier easily with four on board and reaches 69 mph, feels much better than the Fury, mid range super strong and great handling.
As you remember I am located in Perú and my Trophy Plus 27” is still at Customs, hope to receive it next week and hope to hit 82 mph. Will post again soon.
Also thinking about some more setback, going from 6“ to 8” here is a question. What differences will come with more setback?

BigRWater

After some time of silence, an update.
Now using a 22” Raker HO with adjustable vents, simply wonderful, can pull the skier easily with four on board and reaches 69 mph, feels much better than the Fury, mid range super strong and great handling.
As you remember I am located in Perú and my Trophy Plus 27” is still at Customs, hope to receive it next week and hope to hit 82 mph. Will post again soon.
Also thinking about some more setback, going from 6“ to 8” here is a question. What differences will come with more setback?
The further back we went, increased our top end.

AllisonPERU

Hello after a while, lots of water has passed below, now running 9” of setback and shaft 1¾“ below the pad on a Vance jackplate, didn’t like the Trophy Plus 27”, quite twitchy and sold it to a friend for an Action Marine. Got a new Raker HO 24, pulls skiers perfectly, does 73 mph with four on board and 74.1 mph with two. Tried 1¼“ bellow pad, engine reved higher but lost speed, imagine prop slip got higher, now thinking about a Raker HO 26”,
Love my GSE and how sensitive to tuning it is, it makes you keep looking for changes in the setup…

Avidangler

Nice boat. The chinewalk was scary first few fishing trips. I have a 150 opti with a chopped 25 trophy plus. Loaded for fishing with 1 light passenger 65/66 was easy as long as I kept steering slightly left top speed 71mph@5600rpm. You definitely need to play with some props and raise motor. I am running a hydro jack. Put motor where it needs to be according to conditions.

aj06bolt12r

You probably already know this... but that engine is buried... Your Allison will do virtually everything better if you get the engine up. Prop to pad needs to be somewhere around 1/4" below the pad. Get low water pickup, a nosecone, whatever you need to get the engine up where your boat will like it.

Once you do that the boat will easily pick up a bunch of speed... you will probably be all over the rev limiter and need something like a 30 pitch prop to stay off the limiter in the mid to high 80's. Also see if your friend will let you run that Tropy you sold him again... you might like it a lot better.

As far as skiing goes. I have no clue. I'd say keep your small props for that, lower engine heights might be good for skiing too, not sure.