New Yamaha VMAX 4-strokes specs and info

FFWD

Just got out of the business meeting on the new Yamaha product. The new Vmax will be called SHO(Super High Output). The hp will be 200,225, and 250. They are all based on a new 4.2L V6 block with plasma-fused sleeveless cylinders which allows much more cubic inches in the same size block. The weight is 505 which is the same as the Pro XS and the E-tec. Acceleration is said to be almost a full second quicker in 200ft than the E-tec or Pro XS. Top speed is supposed to be equal or better than any 2-stroke of equal hp. New nosecone lower unit with lower water pickups than before. I will get to run them tomorrow to see how true all this is.
They are also releasing a new 300hp offshore engine that is only 558lbs based on the same 4.2L V-6 block and a new 70hp 4-stroke that only weighs 260lbs.

Podge

Keep us posted. Hard for me too believe but I hope it is true...... I would like to
get my hands on one and do some testing. Do you have any pictures that you can post?

FFWD

Don't have any pics and they have asked us to not take any pictures while we are at the test facility tomorrow. It looks similar to the current HPDI Vmax. I will scan the "Hot Sheet" I have on it and post it when I get back home.

Darth VMAX

As much as I hate to see the 4-Strokes taking over the bass market, I will have to say THIS new Yamaha sounds more promising then anything yet. AND its weight lends to be used on our Allisons which is EXTREMEMLY good news!

Even if they are not aNY faster than current hp 2-Strokes the fact that you can get a 4.2L V6 the same weight as a 3.0-3.4L DI 2-Stroke is enough to impress the heck out of me. I know Darris is a Merc guy. But hopefully he can test one of the these on the XB21's and the new 23-24ft Sport-boat.

4.2L V6 at 505lbs or a 2.6L I6 at 635lbs..... one can go on an Allison and one cannot.

FFWD

I ran the new engines today and they are quite impressive. They aren't going to replace the 260/280/300 drag, but it will run with any 2-stroke EFI, Opti or E-Tec out there and should be bullet proof. This engine is capable of WAY more horsepower but as usual Yamaha has it in a tune that will live forever. A BassCat Puma with a 225, 2 people and 50gal of gas was GPSing 76mph. A 20i Skeeter with a 250, 2 people and 50gal of gas was GPSing 78mph. I am sure with a better prop, more setup, and less weight(there really is no need to carry 50gal of gas for these engines as little as they burn) both of these boats would GPS 80+. The midrange punch from 30 up is really great. It pulls like a freight train. It's amazing what 4.2L of displacement can do for you. Overall, I thought the engines were great and show at least one company is heading in the right direction as like or not 4-strokes are what we are going to be dealing with from now on for new product.

Also, the new little 70hp 4-stroke was VERY impressive. It has as much low end as any 70 2-stroke I have ever ran and it is very light.

FFWD

There was also some talk of testing the 225 or 250 on a ProSport 21. The only problem is Yamaha has this hang up of only using their props and will not release test data unless it was run with a Yamaha prop. They have some new props, but the largest pitch is 29 and I don't think that would hold a 250 off the limiter on a XB21. Besides a Merc or other prop would be faster.

Darth VMAX

Thank you for your report....I am really anxious to see one. What do they look like? Hopefully they look better than their current line up of 4'S. Those are really plain and ugly compared to the VMAX line

FFWD

any information yet of the fuel mileage?
They are reporting 12% better fuel economy than the current HPDI which means it will be very fuel efficient. They ran the boats all day doing nothing but holeshots and WOT runs and I noticed when I left it still had over 1/2 tank of fuel.

FFWD

Here is a pic I scanned out of the promotional material. They would not let us take any actual pictures.

Rusrog

Hell that don't look too bad!!! I'm still not sure I can get used to changing the oil in my outboard... I wonder if the ignition systems and the injection controls will be able to be modified for more performance?

Darth VMAX

FINALLY someone makes a good looking 4-Stroke! The Verpigo boys at Merc could use a lesson LOL

They say it has TRUE LWP...it looks like you can barely see something at the very bottom of the bullet right before the skeg...

4.2L and only 505 lbs. Same as a 3.0L Opti. This is a REAL step up for the 4-Strokes