Offshore Mid Question

msagro

I have a XB2003 with a 1995 260 on it with offshore mid. My question is what effects would blocking off the exhaust opening in the mid have on the performance of the boat? I am most concerned about the low and mid ranges as I very rarely run the boat above 70. It would be easy enough to make a plate and only 4 bolts to hold it on.

Thanks
Matt

propmanjay

You must be getting old like me. Seems like a sin to stifle that noise. There would be no doubt that you could swap it for a fishing can and make some money off the offshore. I did the oppisit on my 260, I cut the end of of mine. The unitendid result was loss of slip at launch. The eshaust that use to blow around the prop now was exiting out the mid.

resqu-u

Is your snout just open? On my 98 PM I have a plate that can be put in or left out. Doesn't put the engine to silent mode but does make a difference. I love the sound! No doubt you could sell or swap with money esp if its's a 15inch.

patches

Not sure on the 20 but on the 15 theres a drilled/tapped bolt hole so you could make a blockoff plate and bolt in there. Might notice a little more slip on holeshot. You could make the plate solid and then start drilling holes in it till you got the sound you're after

msagro

Is your snout just open? On my 98 PM I have a plate that can be put in or left out. Doesn't put the engine to silent mode but does make a difference. I love the sound! No doubt you could sell or swap with money esp if its's a 15inch.
Yes the snout is open, a square hole probably 2.5 or 3" square that has 4 1/4" bolt holes so I could make a plate to bolt over it easy enough. It is a 20" mid and I don't mind the sound most of the time when my son and I are fishing but an evening cruise with my wife and daughter also might be nice to tone it down a little if it doesn't cripple the engine on the bottom and mid.

And yes I am getting old but I have a mini day cruiser jet with a 502 Chevy and a little flat bottom with a 468 so pretty used to things being loud:beer: