Oil Injection on a 225 ProMax.. Leave it or Ditch it?

Honda92

Alright well I have a 95 225 Promax with about 130ish hours on it. It's all stock including the rev limiter. I keep getting the feeling I'm playing with fire by relying on the injection system. Is running injection on a 100% stock motor safe or should I be looking at going premix? If so what ratio is recommended 50:1? 40:1? Thanks for any input

whipper

x10:big grin Its a little plastic worm gear that your trusting not to break!! The older the pre 2000 the better not to have the oil injection. Since 95 was the first Im surprised its still in there thats a long time!! Mines a 96 was stock until l 08 or so when I took it out.Theres a reason even Merc, sells the block off plate for when you remove it.:big grin 10 bucks some dep 6 some hoses and tanks your done. Buy a couple little premix plastic contains with screw on lides for 5 bucks each and stow them in the boat. i actually find premixing 40-1 easer than before. Filling that stupid on board tank without spilling was a PITA.

Theres a detailed with pics instruction on hear and Scream and fly. I think its just under {oil injection removal}? Takes an hour to find and unscrew the few things to do if never done anything like that before. The security of knowing no matter what your getting 40-1 is priceless.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

Had a Mariner 1987 oil infected 175. The horn went off and I shut the engine off immediately. Dropped the trolling motor and got to the launch ramp.The damage was when the pump seized the steel driven gear chewed up the plastic gear on the crank shaft. A piece of that plastic got wedged in the piston rings and scored the nic plate of the cylinder wall. Had to sleeve that cylinder. Didn't put the pump back on!

Honda92

Looks like I'll be removing it then! It's been on the back of my mind for awhile now and I really don't want to destroy a motor over something stupid like a plastic gear failing. That sure would suck. I'll have to see if I can find those posts, I tried searching once on here before I started this thread but came up kinda dry. I'll give it another go around Thanks guys.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
one more story: on the beach and pulled the cowl to show a guy a fairly new PM. Oil tank on the powerhead was nearly dry--just about freaked. Off the oil system went.

whipper

So do the law of averages with these guys and a lot more stories of guys not on hear with Allisons per motors produced and thats not a very reliable part at all. Its widely known. They make a these little oil mixing cans out of clear plastic. They have several ratios. The mix you want is 40-1. Mine will mix 32lt of fuel at the full line. Yours will be gal obviously. but get the ones with the lid that screws on. I always mix from the jug at home. I have my tank marked every 5 gal so I know how much i need to get in fuel. Ill just mix that amount throw it in at home so it sloshes around on the way to the gas station then fill with that amount. Then it gets sloshed some more on the way to the lake. Good to go. Always put oil in first then gas for mixing purposes. Its really not a big deal. Its actually better than injection because filling that tank is a PITA. Plus your always looking and wondering if you can make it. This way ya know your good till your dry. As msethsmile said ya can run out with injection just the same if your not always checking that also. Good cheep insurance. Youll be faster to because your getting rid of some weight.:big grin

whipper

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/oil-to-gas-mixing-container

I have half a dozen of these. Multiple oil ratio's and the volumes of fuel added in both gallons and litres.

Here is the greatest invention ever. Put your gas can on the back of the boat and syphon fill the boat. Boat fills it self, no spillage.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gas-siphon-hose
To funny I have Both of those also. Those atwood oil mixing are the bomb. Ive used mine for years and caps are great. I cary them in the boat and take a full one just incase when at a lake with a fuel dock. The syphon hose is unreal!! I cant believe how well it works. Who ever thought of this is a genius!! I've had electric pumps sucked the gas out with my gums, hand pumps and when I got one of these it was faster than all of them no mess and so good. Every boater should have one. 100% best syphon method period.:beer:

Last edited:

smiley88

what s up guys I have an 08 mercury 250 pro XS and have always wondered about my oil injection system even though its a newer motor should I eliminate it? I would really like to because I know that it would be safe.if so would I follow the same instructions as the thread on scream and fly from page 25 down... thank you so much for your time.

whipper

Welcome first of all smiley! Thats a good question i would like to know also if the new motors even can be run premix? i know the newer like the older systems the oil ratio varies when intact thats a good thing. So you use less at idle and more at WOT. The new injection systems are pretty bomb proof from what I understand.

i would say if the motors basicly stock i wouldn't even bother. But if you limiter is raised and you have other mods i would find a way maybe? if you need more oil you can always dump a glug into the gas when ya know your going to run wot for long extended periods. Thats actually a good thing to do. I still do that and used to with oil injection aswell.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

I would definitely leave the oil injection on a direct injection motor. But I would recommend checking the air compressor regularly.

My old 150 XR4 ran for 20 years no worries with the oil injection. When it was my primary motor I worried a lot more about family members not mixing oil and gas properly than the oil injection failing. Now I've got a second boat and I'm the only Allison driver. The 150 is gone and the 225 PM has no oil injection.