Old School (Carbs) problem

LAAllison

Last week my son bought an SS with no engine so while we're waiting for Jay to "freshen up" our spare ProMax we hung my 86 Merc 200 on the boat. Engine had not been run in at least 6 years but it's very low time. Friday we took it to the river and it ran fine. Sat we made a 50 mile run to watch The Blue Angels at Pensacola Beach and it ran fine. On the way back at the end of a 20 minute idle zone it wouldn't get up. Just wouldn't turn up. Idled to the ramp and brought her home. Compression is strong and even, good fire, all filters and fuel lines are clean and in good shape. Timing is spot on and the low speed advance seems to come in as it should. Drained the carbs and the fuel is clean. Any ideas?

Thanks

Art

Roll Tide
49 days til Virginia Tech.

GFinch

+1 one the fouled plugs. Try this next time. Pull the plug wires back from the plugs, so the spark has to jump across both gaps. This will cause the coils to increase their output and have a hotter spark.
It works on an OMC, might work on a merc.:laughing

LAAllison

I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was put in new plugs. I never heard of that pulling the plug wire--I'll try it. I'm guessing stator my be next to check.
Thanks

Art