Omc troller question

Ocktane

Hey everyone. So I was fishing the other day and pretty much just switching between 12 and 24 volts on the second speed setting of my 12/24 omc. Then the troller quit working altogether at the end of the day. A home now and just found that it will work in 12 and 24 volts but only on the high setting. What do you think my issue is?

Mod. No BF4S
Ser. No H 2879345
OMC
24 volts

Last edited:

Ocktane

Guys at Motortech VA say it is probably the resistor in front of the motor. Low and medium speeds run through the resistor, high speed straight to the motor. Makes sense to me. Also seems to be a common problem in my research. I'll check the wiring some more for sure though.

SLOmofo

Reason I said was it's outside the motor housing. Hope for the best expect the worst.
A thought, put a newer Pulse Modulated motor on that shaft. The OMC uses/used the resistor to drop the prop speed/thrust. They use the same amount of amperage on low speed as high. That is what drains batteries.
Pulse modulation works by electronically turning the power off and on rapidly and is completely variable.
Crap, another thought keep the motor add the PM to it. How many amps does that motor draw. This is something I made up for control of my trim pump.