Power Dilemma - Seeking advice

scj

200 SHO is $2500 cheaper than a 250 and it's the exact engine except programming inside the ecu. $650 and you can tune the ecu to a 300 if you want.
Something to think about.

Kmack

200 SHO is $2500 cheaper than a 250 and it's the exact engine except programming inside the ecu. $650 and you can tune the ecu to a 300 if you want.
Something to think about.
That's good to know. $1850 drop makes it compare more favoraby to the Merc.

Kmack

You guys are peaking my interest in the Yamaha but I have a couple of questions:

Does flashing the ECU disqualify warranty?
Is the lower unit on the SHO equipped with low water pick-up?
What about engine mounts, set-back, etc.?
Are there rumors anywhere of other possible contenders in the works at any of the manufacturers?

My desire is to have the fastest boat out of hole and from 0-85 that can be had with a motor which will not require racing engine type attention.
The XTB is configured to meet my needs so I am set on this boat.

I do not need capability above 90 mph.
I would like to use one set-up whether I am using the boat heavy or light.

I apologize for all of the questions but I have been away from boating pretty much completely for 20 years and really have no first
hand knowledge of the performance characteristics of the newer 2 stroke or the 4 stroke power plants. I am trying to educate myself but
it's pretty difficult just picking through all of the threads in various forums on the internet.

I appreciate everyone's feedback

Derrick

I'll put in my 2 cents again. I had a 87 xtb with a stock 88 2.4L 200 carb merc and the boat would run around 90 with a fishing load. Find an early 90s carb 2.5 L 200 merc, send the gearcase to bobs machine shop for a nosecone. Buy a 24-26 pitch prop like a trophy plus or similar and a worked 28 chopper. mix your oil 50 to 1 and go have some good economical fun. I used to run mine on amsoil at 75 to 1 with oil injection removed and turned it 6500 to 7000 rpms with good setup and some basic engine tweeking. Again my 2 cents, I always had fun and the boat would haul ass and the motor was reliable and simple. I forgot 1 thing get a hydraulic jackplate

Darth VMAX

As mentioned the stock SHO/3.3 HPDI case will be just fine with a couple of tweaks. I'd opt for the Hydro-Tec fat shaft and have the water intakes moved to the bottom. Other than that, they have ran 100 with no issues.

Yep, if looking at a SHO, no need for anything than a 200- Wayne is getting 354 hp with just the ECU flash and more RPMS as well.

scj

I'm not sure how close you are to Hydro-Tec but you owe it to yourself to at least call and talk to Wayne or one of his guys.
I had Hydro-Tec do all my work as far as solid mounts, flashing the ecu, dyno break-in & sportmaster conversion. They sold my stock gearcase for me that almost paid for all my work there. Of course I had the cost of the new sportmaster but that's not really necessary if 90 is your threshold.