Power Drive Trolling Motor

jdm90

I am considering a new trolling motor and welcome any opinion about the Minn Kota powerdrive models. I was mainly curious to know if anyone has used them and if there were any mounting concerns with the powerdrive bracket.
Thanks

John S

I had one on my xtb21, and it was awkward to mount. I used the Minnkota slide bracket, because that was the only way I could see to get it over the bow. The motor itself worked great. It was only a 40# 12 volt, but it ran all day for what I did (Im not a tourney guy). I got an edge for my xb02, because the chassis will work without having to make a bracket or use that slide thing. These allys are kinda hard to put motors on the front with that long snout. Maybe thats why most guys put all the cashola into the mota on the back! :twisted:

John S

jdm90

I also wanted to know what length trolling motor shaft most other A-Boats are using?

jimmyb

most trolling motors on a-boats are 40-45"

honestly, i hate powerdrive motors... they suck for fishing because you always have to look down to see what direction your motor is pointed. The autopilot feature kinda works...

honestly i prefer a good old mechanical foot pedal... your brain adjusts to the direction you are pointed by the angle of the foot pedal and you dont even have to think about which direction you are going to go... your brain will do it automatically

jdm90

Thanks jimmyb - thats what i was needing to hear. Do you know if most of the Minn Kota or Motorguide mounts work ok - or is there a preferred mount.
thanx - David

John S

Look up in owners stuff, under tm mount, thats the coolest way I've seen yet. Im having my bolt heads rounded and powdercoated to match my rig. Powerdrives steer great if you are a beer drinkin, A.D.D., unattentive fool like me! But I've been told Im not normal. :D

John S

xb2003

I will not work on my boat. I tried to mount one last weak. I had another bracket made to move it a little forward and to the left. It wouldn't work...Drug across the nose no matter where I put it. It has to be mounted in the tradional style.

jdm90

Thanks XB2003 - I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy one of those before asking. Thanks again guys.

RedAllison

I can't remember, but is the "Power Drive" motors the ones with the automatic brackets that raise and lower themselves? If so I believe even if you got it mounted you wouldn't like it (especially on a 02) because of the weight. It's like ridin around with a battery on the nose, it would affect handling and lift or at least lessen what you can carry under the bow and still get a decent flight attitude.

Good luck,
RA

jdm90

Hey RA - The one I was looking at was not the auto-deploy and raise model - but based on what I've heard so far, I think I will stick with maybe a Minn Kota Maxxum model. Minn Kota only because of the built-in sonar compatibility with Lowrance.

Thanks,
David