Pro ET engine height

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran a 26 Pro ET the other day, and by the other day I mean 2 or 3 couple months ago, but one thing I noticed is it had a LOT of bite. So much I had trouble hitting the limiter. This is the first prop I've ran that at 40-45mph I can trim up and the nose keeps coming higher. Little to no rooster tail either.

Do you guys running a Pro ET usually have to come up quite a ways on engine height?

GrandLakeGAR

I had two ProET's, a 26 & 28. On my 2003/225X with 14.5"" set back, about 1/4" below the pad was where I ran them. I liked the 28 best, wish I still had it.

whipper

Generally 4 blades like lower prop shaft heights than 3 blade i find anyway like 1/4 below for reasons to elaborate to write a novel about.:big grin I find my 3 blades like even for the most part or even higher for larger diameters like 14 1/2 to 3/4.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Generally 4 blades like lower prop shaft heights than 3 blade i find anyway like 1/4 below for reasons to elaborate to write a novel about.:big grin I find my 3 blades like even for the most part or even higher for larger diameters like 14 1/2 to 3/4.
I had the opposite experience. I felt like the 4 blades (in general, no the ProET specifically) could be ran higher. I theorized it was because the blades were typically a little shorter, so they didn't begin to pierce the surface until you jacked the motor a little higher. My 3 blades found a sweet spot just a little lower - maybe 1/8" to 1/4" lower. 4 blade should have a better bite....at any given time with a surfacing prop, there's at least 2 blades fully submerged in the water. With the 3 blade, at some point during the rotation, there may be only 1 blade fully submerged in the water.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
How big a diameter is the Pro ET?

I'm thinking longer blades will still be in the water at elevated heights, no matter 3 or 4. When Bob had a problem a couple years ago I think he had changed props but didn't lower the motor. Maybe he will chime in with the details.

catfish123

I had been running Chopper II's and Hydromotive Quad IV props at a pretty elevated height for a while without incident. On the day when things went really bad for me, I was running the same height with an ET Lightning. For the record, my lip had been reduced in height somewhat prior to running any of these props at the more elevated height.

whipper

I had the opposite experience. I felt like the 4 blades (in general, no the ProET specifically) could be ran higher. I theorized it was because the blades were typically a little shorter, so they didn't begin to pierce the surface until you jacked the motor a little higher. My 3 blades found a sweet spot just a little lower - maybe 1/8" to 1/4" lower. 4 blade should have a better bite....at any given time with a surfacing prop, there's at least 2 blades fully submerged in the water. With the 3 blade, at some point during the rotation, there may be only 1 blade fully submerged in the water.
Yes i do agree with that also its prop dependant for sure. I guess its just been the props ive been running in 4 blades like trophy's don't like to high if there stock I find. Above the pad for instance. The only 4 blades that ive had that liked above was the drag4 really. The older Trophys and Hydros ive tryed like no higher than even but 1/4 bellow they all were great also. My chopper 2 and drag3,ET,mazco moded to offshore cut could all go above and some higher than I wanted to go and still chewed. Maybe thats what I based it on only. What I said was a pretty blanketed statement perhaps. Then again there are still variables like setback driver weight and so on that come into play. oh ya and balls.:big grin So really what works for some may be different for others for sure. That reminds me of an old saying JR used to always say. You cant try to many props. That's for sure!! Theres a lot of 4 blades now that have larger dia than the old ones used to have. I havent been running any of the new 14+ dia 4 blades. Been running 14 1/2 3 blade for a few years now. I gota try some of the new stuff like the new and improved XoB for instance in a 27 please.:big grin