Promax help needed again..

allisonjr

My motor is a 2000 225 promax. While running around 65-70 mph motor lugged momentarily and then just shut off. Would not refire back immediately, waited 20mins or so and then refired idled fine and was able to load on trailer. Took the boat out today, ran fine under 50 mph and then I ran it on up to 65-70 and it did the exact same thing. Its kinda scary just shutting off like that im not sure what is exactly going on, I think its something electrical like a switch box or something but I don't have enough experience to know for sure, as usual any help that you could give would be appreciated.

LakeAnna

Take the plugs out and do a compression check... sounds like it stuck. Don't keep running it until you figure it out man. Make sure to inspect each plug that comes out and you may find the suspect hole.:furious

Last edited:

whipper

If what Chris said isnt it, check these things maybe.

Shut right off? Thats scary forsure and strange. If it didnt shut right down I would say pulse pump but unlikely that would run you right out of gas like that unless it was super bad. Its cheep and worth a try because they should be changed every year or two anyway. Hows the battery charge? That causes strange things to happen also. Not tipical switch box behaviour really. Sounds like your running out of gas when the load for more fuel is required? Fuel related {maybe}? You can run it untill it happens again then stay stopped. Then put a jar under the VST tank and see how much fuel you get out of it. If very little your running out of gas from the pulse pump on. You can also when stalled unscrew the water seperator buy the bulb inboard one. If thats empty then its from your fuel tank. Also check all fuel related wires. Maybe at speed one is shaking loose a little? Thats just were I would start anyway only because I suck at electrical problems.:big grin Electrical is rarer than fuel related on my promax any way. Good luck:sad

Oh one more thing. Water in the fuel can do this also. happen to me once before. had to clean and swab the tank change all fillters ect put known great fuel in and good to go. Dump some fuel from a filter in a clear jar and wait a few hours for it to settle. If theres water it will show.

Last edited:

allisonjr

Just checked the compression all cylinders were between 122-125 psi. Its just really weird because 40mph you would never know anything was wrong, its strong planes over ok doesn't run hot I don't get it

allisonjr

I haven't had any fuel problems previously. When does the high side of the stator kick in?

Jimxb02

High side stator is in the 2700 to 3200 RPM range. Could be the stator but you should also check the switch boxes. I had the same problem with the motor just stopping like pulling the kill switch. Turns out I had a switch box that had some kind of short to ground when the motor warmed up. Killed everything !!!!! After the motor cooled off it would restart and run until it warmed up and then shut off again. Anyway, just my experience .

Jim

resqu-u

I would check the stator, sounds like you are making it to the high side and then losing it.. I fought fuel problems with mine all spring and was not even close to the same discrep. If the stator goes all kind of crazy things happen with our 40amp systems including switch boxes/voltage regulators....

allisonjr

My computer for some reason isnt pulling that page up. Does anyone know what ohms the stator should be reading? Im gonna try and check it tonight when i get off work. Also does the engine have to be running to measure the ohms?

whipper

My computer for some reason isnt pulling that page up. Does anyone know what ohms the stator should be reading? Im gonna try and check it tonight when i get off work. Also does the engine have to be running to measure the ohms?
Try it again that page link is awsome!! Or copy past on google. Link worked for me though just now and its a good one.:big grin

fnshrmaster

http://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp That should help, no engine not running. Do yourself a favor and pick up a DVA tester, they sell an adapter also if you already have a multimeter.

allisonjr

Well guys finally fixed her. The fuel line from the tank to the engine collapsed. Runs like a different motor when it gets all the fuel it needs!

whipper

Good news for sure. Its nice when its simple like that. I always start with fuel its the easiest to diagnose and 9 out of 10 times thats whats been wrong when ive had hic ups in the last 1000 hrs with my promax.:big grin If you had a collapst line and all the lines are from the same year, i would be looking at a upgrade on all the lines that are like that one this year for preventitive messures.:beer: