Promax Problems

jdb35

Ok guys, I have a 96 model 225 promax, it has been running great until recently. It runs great for about twenty minutes and suddenly it will drop down to running on three cylinders. I originally thought I was getting water under my cowling causing some of the electronics to get damp and short out. I sprayed the motor and electronics down with silicone spray to remove the moisture. Yesterday, I launched and it ran perfect for about 20 minutes again and dropped down to three cylinders. It has been doing this for the past three weekends. The only thing I have done to the motor is installed an offshore mid and it seems this is when the problem started.
I want to try to fix the problem myself before I shell out the big bucks for my mechanic to look at it. Anybody got any ideas, I have been told everything from a stator to the computer. I would appreciate any advice.
I am going to unhook the battery from it this morning to let the computer reset itself and see if that will help.
Jeff

Myron

unhooking the battery will do nothing, sounds to me like a switch box or a stator

jdb35

I think you are right. At first I thought it was a moisture problem, but now beleive that once the faulty component gets hot it drops out. I am wondering if there is a better way to test the switch box and stator than what the manual says.
Jeff

Myron

see what bank of cyinders is dropping, then just switch the switch boxes, if the problem goes to the other bank that is your problem, if not then more than likely the stator

J

John Richied

see what bank of cylinders is dropping, then just switch the switch boxes, if the problem goes to the other bank that is your problem, if not then more than likely the stator
This is a great idea and it should save you from just buying parts to throw at it.

In case you did not know it each switchboxes fires one side, 1, 3, 5 or 2, 4, 6.

jdb35

I found out that the port side cylinders were not firing, I changed the switch boxes around and the motor will not start but is firing, I changed the switch boxes to their original position and it still will not start, but is firing. Could it possibly be the stator?

JASONPIJANOWSKI

Jeff make sure all colored wires are hooked to the proper colors on the switch boxes!!! Made that mistake before!
Jason

Myron

there is also a set of 3 wires that go from the switch box that fires the injecters, I do not remember on the laser injection if it is the inner or outer switch box, but I think that is the problem

jdb35

Thanks Myron, I am going to double check the wiring this afternoon, I think that I could have possibly crossed the wiring. I was trying to be careful, but with 100 degree weather and tight place to work, I could have possibly got the wiring wrong.

jdb35

Think I have the problem fixed, it was the outside switch box. Replaced it with one from my brothers part motor and it runs fine on the hose. Need to find time to river test it. Myron and Jason were right on with their diagnosis. This site amazes me with the wealth of information Allison owners are able to provide. Thanks again.
Jeff