Promax Question

jaybluez

I recently picked up a '98 225promax. I noticed the water discharge hoses aren't set up like the ones I had on my 280. On the 280, both hoses ran from the block out to the cowling. The hoses on the 225 come off the block, one goes out the back of the cowling and the other goes to the mid??? Then theres a rubber horn shaped thingamajig in between the mid and the skirt. Whats the deal with the one hose going to the mid and that horn thingy? Sorry for the ignorance.

fishnfireman

Without looking,

I will say it's because the 280 only has poppet washers, to slow the flow of water down..and dumps off each side..

where the 225 has a thermostat and only one dump hose..

jaybluez

OK, another question is that I ran this motor only once and I noticed that when I'm hooked up it wasn't pouring a solid stream of water out like the 280 did. I did have a solid stream when idling, but not when I was hooked up. I did have 15#s of water pressure at WOT. The water temp was around 58 degrees, would the thermostats be the cause of the poor water flow at WOT? I'll try to post pix when I get home.

Thanks again.

J

John Richied

The water is not going to flow steady out of a 225 Promax at a cold idle due to the thermostats not being open all the way.
The rubber piece on the midsection is just a exhaust relief hole and has nothing to do with the water flow.

speed freak

I aint got no thermostats. I use washers and i have water all the time. It had thermostats with the insides removed when i got it and i spoke to Dale at Nichols and he said put in the washers. I tried thermostats and didnt like the water going and coming. Made me nervous.

jaybluez

Yes it will take some getting used to speed freak, that poor water flow at times. I was hoping it wasn't anything major. Thanks for the replies fellas.