Prop for Grandsport with Promax?

mxzx

Just put a 225 Promax with a fat shaft Sporty 1.75 gears on my Grandsport. Since its a fat shaft my old props don't fit.
What prop would you guys recommend? Stock 6750 rpm limiter. Not interested in absolute top end speed but more a prop that carries a load well with decent top end.
Thanks.

whipper

Every prop has different attributes when worked especially. May choices are 25 Trophy for all round but for a bit more money and {quality} Todds Hydromotive 25 or 27 Quad4-OT is a hard prop to beat in a 4 blade for all round load,speed and drivability.

Ive been trying the OS cut lately in 3 blade props and must say Im mighty impressed with Steve Smith,s {DS77} Off Shore cut on my GSE with a 225PM. Hes sending me a 28 to try right now and should have the tweak my Allison needed for top end. But the really impressive part of these props is there hole shot and midrange!!! The 26OS riped out of the hole faster with better midrange than my 25 Trophy.:shock: Steve has been working with me on tweaks to the cut to work on more Allison's. Every type of boat and power combo has a little something they need to work more efficiently. In my case I needed a little more cup. Ive had my GS with my 225 to 97 on GPS at a lower elevation last year. The prop I used was terrible with any kind of load and not very good out of the hole at all. Just had long legs. Very very thin. I really loved the 26 OS cut for all round use but the 28 I'm expecting to be the ticket. I also have a real 26ET on its way but suspect the 28 OS to be really the best performer for my GS and motor combo now that Steve knows what i was looking for. Im looking forward to comparing the OS26 with the ET26.

I have a little more grunt with cut heads and a Brucato ACU to 7500rpm. But when my motor was stock the 25-28 range props worked best. Its always great to work with a prop guy that knows your hull and works with you on achieving your goals. Ive found both Steve and Todd to be great in this respect. At this point for me if I were to buy just 2 props they would be a 25OT and 28OS. That way I have both bases covered. 4blade for heavy loads and 3Blade for rippen with normal loads and top end. :beer:

Last edited:

whipper

Thanks for the info Whipper. Have you tried a T-4X or a Drag 4?
I run a 28 drag4 thats whats accually on the GS right now. I really love the drag4 Ive owned one for 5 years and tried 26 and 28,s. The 28 works best over all PM stock or not. The 26 was slower and less hole shot than my 25 trophy so went back to the 28. When the 28 OS gets hear Im going to sell the 28drag4 that I bought from Jay. Its a great prop but really the OS is soooo much better. I almost pulled the trigger on a T4-X a couple of times but thats one I havent tried. Todd had one from his GS when he had the 225 on and went high 90,s it was a 30pitch. He worked it for his GS. For load and high speeds 28 is as high as I wold go. For apsalut top end you need a 30 but it will suffer every were else. Thats why I like the 28,s. You can still put 4 in the boat and run mid 80,s. two up high 80,s and one up over 90.

When you up your limitter a 26 works great . Best of everything that way because you can spin a 26 over 7000 quite easaly very quik and fast load or no load. While your stock i would be looking for a 28OS for all round med loads because they run smaller out of the hole and taller at WOT . When your really heavy just pick up a 25 trophy for 200 bucks and good for anything and 80mph loaded or not. Very fun having smaller wheels on. A 27 Hydromotive ot would be a great all rounder also.
So to buy only one prop as long as I wasnt going to ski just general boating rippen around with one or two people in the boat full fuel it would be between the 28OS from a Chopper11 cut and a 27OT. By your self stock limitter youll be right around 93 with the 28 and 90 with the 27. Maybe 1 or 2 MPH more on each depending on you.:big grin

mxzx

I am wondering if a 28" might be a little big for what I want with the 1.75 gears. I tried my 28" Hoss last weekend but didn't get a chance to see if it would wind out to 6750 rpm with the bad weather. Seemed ok out of the hole. Would love to run my 28" Mazco RE4 but its a small shaft ):

whipper

Usually ya go 1 or 2 pitches down with 4 blades. So if the 28 was good out of the hole ya know you could spin it up top two normaly. Thats why i say a 27 Hydromotive. You can spin a 28 4 blade but as soon as you add a third or more persons youll wish you had a 25/26/27 4 blade on. 3 blades 26-28 for me. Ive run 29 and 30,s but there only good for one thing topend alone. The acceleration is the cool thing for me and must do at least 80+. What are you running now?

aaronmt

If your looking for a all around prop,either a 25 or 26 trophy is great.Fastest prop I ran(and I tried alot) was a basic 28 chopper 2.The larger diamater wheels gave be a unsetteling feeling.Like they were paddle wheeling for better choice of words.Mine was a 95 GS 225x with Simon/7500rpm and 12" setback 1/4" below on a cool 6am run I saw 98gps.

whipper

Your 26 Trophy Arron was an unussually fast 26 and the water you run is known to be some of the fastest.
I totally agree with the bigger wheels. They do feel like there paddle wheeling is a good description. 25-28 Pitch are the best range for feel and drivability.

AMERICAN

Hoss and Hydros both good props

Last edited:

whipper

Hmmmm looks narly. Have a few like that also but they are merc props Choppers. I think they all end up that way sooner or later. Theres lots of guys running Hydromitive Props without any issues for years. Theres just so many variables why this happens. BTW Did you know Todd Buck owns two Allisons.
A GS and 02. Hes the owner of Hydromotive Props.

He is awell respected member of this board and ones opinion who lots Value including myself. His props have many Allison owners very pleased. I wouldnt say Hydromotives have a reputaion for slinging blades at all. It happens but it happens to almost every prop manufacture out there. Unless you buy props new you never know were theyve been or whats been done to them. Todds props from what I know have the opposite reputation. His props have countless World Records and Todds GS is one of the fastest out there useing his own props.

Last edited:

ziemer

From my experience stay away from Hyodromotive props.....see pics...also as another member had posted on another fourm"And that prop CAN be fixed! Ive done a dozen of them that looked just like that.
" meaning he has fixed dozens ...
Is that even one of Todd's props? Almost looks like a modified Merc Chopper. :confused :confused

As far as a 26 vs 28, I would agree that you'd be better off with the 26 for all around cruiser with 1.75's and a Promax.

I run a 28 on mine, but with a 260 and 1.87's. :big grin I did have a chance to drive Matt's (Rastadr) GS with a 2.5XS (225 hp) and a 28 Pro ET (4-blade) and also 1.75's. It worked, but wasn't too impressive out of the hole. Around upper 80's (87-88) it was only turning the 28 around 6400 so it could stand a lower pitch without constantly banging the rev limiter...

AMERICAN

Hoss and Hydromotive both good props

Last edited:

Lotus 50

Interesting. I had a Hydromotive T4X and the blades were a lot thicker and stronger looking than the blades on the Triton I have now. The T4X was just too much for my 150 so I sold it.

John S

todd WHO??....Thanks for your input but Ill stick with Hoss as a matter of fact I have 2 older Hoss's (25 years old ) that are still running strong.......First time out with a Hydromotive ...... Hydromotive...NOT SO MUCH......AYE!
Was that a brand new prop you bought from the Bucknells? Or something secondhand that who knows who did who knows what with? I would suggest you pick your words carefully before bashing not only a very reputable and honest group of people/ vendor/ supporter of this site, allisons, and performance boating in general, and maybe think it through a little better before you speak of which you probably dont know...

AMERICAN

Hoss and Hydro's both good props

Last edited:

Jimxb02

To American:

That is not a Hydromotive prop you bought.

That is a Merc " chopper " prop that has been recut by someone into a Merc ET type prop. You bought a used prop that may have a history of hard use and possible unseen stress cracks when you bought it.

I am not suggesting the person you bought it from is dishonest , but hi-performance equipment that is run hard will break.

I am the owner of three Hydromotive props and I can tell you they are of the highest quality and the Hydromotive company has one of the best records of customer service and support in the industry.

Jim

Allison XB2002 / Promax 225

John S

From my experience stay away from Hyodromotive props...
Sooooo, your experience with hydromotive props is ONE used, worked?, who knows how it was treated, and/or fixed, and from that you decide to make a statement to stay away from them. I would say that is a far cry from a mythbuster style experiment....AKA, YOUR MYTH IS BUSTED! Maybe your fight should be with who sold it to you, not a good friend, and to this date as far as I know, an unblemished record of service, to the Allison family here.

Im not picking a fight, just telling you to think a little more of what youre saying, because while a company has to fight for years to earn respect, its lost quickly through word of mouth, tragically, when its false...play through

mxzx

As far as a 26 vs 28, I would agree that you'd be better off with the 26 for all around cruiser with 1.75's and a Promax.

I run a 28 on mine, but with a 260 and 1.87's. :big grin I did have a chance to drive Matt's (Rastadr) GS with a 2.5XS (225 hp) and a 28 Pro ET (4-blade) and also 1.75's. It worked, but wasn't too impressive out of the hole. Around upper 80's (87-88) it was only turning the 28 around 6400 so it could stand a lower pitch without constantly banging the rev limiter...
Made a few runs with a 28" Ron Hill Hoss on the weekend. Mid 80's at approx 6400rpm with a passenger. A 26" would definately work better. Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited: