PROP HEIGHT AND STEERING CABLE LUBE

WT

I have a couple of questions if someone could help me out

What should be tha max prop height I should run for a XB2003 with 14" of setback w/sportsmaster runnig a 15"X 28" performance prop. I run it 1/4"above to 1/2" below and only seen about 1-2 MPH difference

Next is what lubricant do I need to use on my steering cables and on my hyd jack plate.

Thanks

whipper

lube

Your prop hight sounds fine, there was a thread probably on the second page now about jack plate lube some say the bushings do not require it because they are free to spin and some tryed lube. I just for the sake of trying it gave mine a shot of grifite dry lube. I have hydraulic so not sure about what to do with cables other than there are {does and donts} so make sure. On the owners stuff at the top of the page there is a illustration I believe on lubing steering cables. James

Blue Gray in PA

For the steering cables, use lube sparingly or your steering will get very tight and you will have to crank the wheel back and forth a lot to clear out the excess grease. I would use one or two pumps max and then work the wheel back and forth a few times to distribute the grease. The luber mentioned by whipper is for cleaning out the cable length while the grease fitting is for lubing the arm mechanism on the motor not the entire cable length.

fishnfireman

There are some cables out there that do have a grease zert.
And Allison did use them for a time. My 2000 model came with a set of "lifetime" cables that were very stiff. I talked to Bill and he hand picked me a set. That were a little better.
My suggestion is to not put any grease in them, as it will only harden over time and make things worse. But if they do start to get stiff use the luber as shown above. Or if you have a grease gun that will allow you to fill the zert with some other form of lube other than grease.

I was having troubles with a j-plate but it was from a bad machining job that just needed some TLC........I did put a touch of graffite on the bushings...

J

John Richied

If you guys use your rigs in saltwater stay away from graphite grease… it's a big NO, NO ...graphite lubricants cause corrosion to aluminum when used in saltwater applications.

J

John Richied

Mercury 2-4-C w/ Teflon or any anti-corrosion grease.