prop selection

fischnrod

I have been trying different props and can't get one that will run faster than 85 mph. Am i going to have to start adjusting motor height to get speed. props tried were 26 p trophy/30 p chopper/ 28 p performer/28 p drag 4/28 p srx/ I am at a loss as to why this boat won't run faster....... 1995 2003 pst,225 mariner super mag,cle gearcase,11 inch setback....the drag 4 was the fastest of all that i have tried. I don't know about altitude but i'm running on lake Chickamauga...

Jimxb02

What is the RPM with the Drag 4 or chopper and what is the prop shaft height in relation to the bottom of the pad ?

Jim

whipper

You'll need a 30 pitch 3 blade to get 90 with a 225. Depending on altitude. You loose about 5% per 1000ft of hp. At 2500ft I can just get 91 with a 30 as long as its cool out lake like glass low humitity. Regular 89 with out to much effert regardles of weather. 85 is about right 1000ft or above with a 28DR4 thats the same as me with mine in my XS2003. same bottom. The 30 ets seem to be very fast on the 03,s and Todd at Hydromotive can get you in the 90,s also just call him tell him what speed your looking for and and he will help ya out. The 30 chopper11 is also a good choise and will get you to at least 90. Most guys report 92-93 best speeds with your combo. 90 is what I think is a good target realisticly. Guys running 93-95 are stringing them out good and are closer to sea level. I ran 93 a few times last year with a special prop that broke since and 90 is were im at with a stock 30 chopper11.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

A 28" hydromotive QuadIV oughta run past 90 with very little effort on that rig. I'm running a 2003/225X and it'll run 93-94 with one person and 91-92 with two people, loaded to fish.

Mine handles like a dream too.....but then again I have more setback than you and a sportmaster case. I don't know how that prop will run with 11". Most run ~14" on these hulls with a promax.

whipper

Your lake is at 683ft above sea level. This shouldnt have a very big effect on power. More set back will give more top end generaly like Niel said 14 would be a setup for higher speeds. Also depends on the motor two. On older higher hour motor may not be as strong as a newer X Promax. Props same thing. Like Niel said also he uses a hydromotive and Todd seams to have a great prop for getting the most out of Allisons.Not all Props are created equal by any means. My worked 30 chopper was buy far faster than my stock 30 chopper 11. I would say 3-4mph faster. I cant seem to get higher than 86 with my 28DR4 but Im at higher elivations than most. Its like running with a 200 rather than a 225 because I loose 12% hp at 2500ft. Your setback could well be the limitting factor in reduced top end numbers?

Last edited:

fischnrod

What is the RPM with the Drag 4 or chopper and what is the prop shaft height in relation to the bottom of the pad ?

Jim
With the drag 4 my rpms are 6400 to 6700 and with my crude measurements it looks like 3 inches below the pad to center of propshaft,that is on unlevel blacktop using a ruler to the bottom of the pad and then to the center of prop shaft. I have no level place or tools to do this measurement right at the moment.

Jimxb02

Yes, Whipper is right ---- I know you do not feel you can make an accurate measurement but you can get close enough. Start with 1/4" below the pad. You should be able to hit 90 GPS with this height.

pickwickangler

You have got to borrow someones carport/garage to get any kind of a accurate measurement. Set it no lower than a 1/2 inch below for top end runs. All dem props are good props and all of em will run over 85 easy. There aint a prop out there that can compensate for the motor being too low so there really aint no use in runnin any more props till you get it measured out and know EXACTLY where you are.All you really need is a tape measure and a level. You come up with all them props, I know you can come up with a couple of tools :laughing. Follow these directions and let us know EXACTLY where you prop to pad height is. http://allisonowners.com/EngineHeight.html

fishnfireman

If a good flat surface is not readily available.

You can take a good straight edge ( piece of angle iron--2by4 on edge)...It will need to be at least long enough to go from the propshaft to a foot or so in front of the pad. A long carpenters level would be ideal.... lay it under the boat and shim it until it is level. then take your measurments off the straight edge instead of the ground, according to the directions allredy given.
I would advise this anyway. as very few, if any concrete pads are true !
If you think it is--- just lay a long straight edge on the floor and you will see small high and low spots that you would not notice with the naked eye.

Bob Ant

Hey Fischnrod,

Where are you located? I live in the Chesterpark area. I run around Chicamauga alot. I had a 225 on my XB-2003 and could routinely run in the 91 to 93 range. Be glad to get together with you and get your boat motivated. WHat color is your boat?

Bob A.

fischnrod

I live about 3 miles from the park in centennial estates in the dallas bay area,my boat is white with blue wings. We may have talked before at the park but i am miserable at remembering names.

Rod

fischnrod

OK iv'e got my motor up and my rpm,s at 6800 now what can i do to get rid of the steering torque it has created. The skeg has a torque tab and it is not one you can adjust.