Recommendations

TN XB-21

I am planning on traveling to Tyler, TX and Houston, TX later this summer and I was wondering if someone could recommend a good Bass fishing lake/river in each of these areas.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

RedAllison

Dennis for SURE you while near Houston you GOTTA go to Conroe (where Rick Clunn originally guided and learned his craft!). And a lil farther (but WELL worth the drive) is of course Sam Rayburn. STILL one of THE finest bass fisheries in the country. TOADS live there and it's like some of the other big bass lakes in TX, with the broad slot on the lake the average population of "catchers" is in the 4-6# range. You can REALLY get cho chit taken away from on Rayburn!. Also, west of town is a smaller lake known as Cedar Creek. There's some PIGS in there as well.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

:beer:
RA

ps
What time you pickin me up? I'd like to someday retire on a lake in TX like Fork or Rayburn!!! :cool

RedAllison

HOLY CRAP I didn't realize Tyler, TX was where it is!!! :cuss

THIS might be where I retire. Dennis THIS is the place where you need to focus your efforts. Lookin on Mapquest, Tyler is SMACKDAB INDA MIDDLE of most of TX best fishin!!!
Lake Tawakoni
Lake Fork
Bob Sandlin
Lake of the Pines
Lake Palestine

And that is just a few of the BIGGIES that jump out at me.
Dennis I think the best thing to do honestly is to hire a guide for 1/2 day on the better lakes and at least see what's goin on. BUT August is a TOUGH time of year on these lakes, it is HOT HOT HOT down there and the fishing is tougher than spring and fall. Schoolin fish will be hot in the mornin/afternoon and great fishin will be had at night (and runnin on some of those lakes at night is DANGEROUS unless you know where you're goin!).

The easiest thing to do is get on Mapquest, select lakes near the area you are going to be in and then enter those names on that TX pwd site I posted and look at their records. If they are rated good or excellent and the lake records are in the teens then chances are you are in for some decent fishing. The basics for time of year and patterns are predictable on most of those lakes. They don't fish much different than the lakes here in our area.

Good luck,
RA

countrycoolio

Definately Lake Fork, if you go there ask one of the locals where the old school bus is, you can catch some HOGS off that thing. Also there is a pretty good lake 30 minutes west of Tyler, lake Athens. It is a smaller lake, but there is some pretty good fishing there, not really hard for a newbie to find some decent spots.

Texan

If your in Tyler, try Fork, but don't forget about Lake Palestine (pronounced palesteen). Palestine was the Lake Fork of the early to mid-seventies. Lake Fork came up and took all the pressure off the lake, and it has recovered nicely. You aren't going to hook a 12-13 pounder off the lake, but you can have a great time fishing the lake.

Lake Tyler is coming on strong the last several years, too. It is a small, municipal water supply lake just east of Tyler than is mainly used for skiing and tubing. Lake Tyler East, or as we call it, the New Lake has been producing good size bass in the last few years. Its also turning into a crappie lake, if your interested in a few slabs. Don't count this little lake out. I grew up on it, got a powertoon stored on it, recreate on it, and have all my years. Its just a little more fun now with the Alli.

Lake of the Pines, Bob Sandlin, Tawonkoni, Toledo Bend, Rayburn, Livingston...your going to be within an hour or two or three of any of these in either Tyler or Houston. Have fun and take pictures!

Texan

I noticed you said rivers as well. There isn't a river down here in East Texas that you would want to put an Alli in. Our rivers are more like creeks. Well, normally they are. Right now they are all out of the banks due to the steady rainfall we've had. Right at this moment, here in Texarkana the thunder is booming and it looks as if the 6 hour drought is about to end.

Texas Dear

If your trip takes you to Sam Rayburn Lake and you need fishing tips and spots, I can help you out. I fish Sam Rayburn alot. Call me if you need help, 936-967-0581 (home) or 936-327-0843 (cell).

Edward

TN XB-21

Thanks Ed.

I think from what everyone is saying I am going to put this trip off until the fall to let things cool off and hopefully dry out:smile !

I will keep your offer in mind when i get ready to go.

Thanks again!!:beer: !