RIP Doug "Bass Professor" Hannon

RedAllison

Today I was saddened to hear of the loss of one of our sports legends. Doug "The Bass Professor" Hannon passed away Thursday morning in his home after what is believed to be complications from a recent surgery. He was 66 and joins his wife who passed of cancer a few years ago. They had no children.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/doug-hannon-dead-66

I joined B.A.S.S. in 1981 at the age of 10. I was simply enamored with him because he did things differently and showed the world that huge bass (he is credited with having caught nearly 1000 bass over the 10# mark in his life, overshadowing his next competitor by a LARGE margin) require a different mindset and tactics. Mr. Hannon certainly thought outside of the box as he always said the biggest bass weren't conventional in their bahaviors to begin with. He simply spent his adult life in pursuit of knowledge and discovery of the lunker bass' world.

God Bless The Professor and I know all of us bassers owe him a debt of gratitude! :very sad
RA

K.Kiser

I remember very well a video that he made around the mid 1980's... It was a VCR tape that my dad for for us from a small ma and po tackle store up the road from our house... We were a big into bass fishing and still are when time allows... The recording was probably in florida with lots of underwater footage where you could see the habits and movements of big bass, and it was like a magic show to me... Oh, then there was the "doug hannon" propeller for trolling motors that could eat through weeds very well in a time where most props were just for open water pulling... I hate to hear this, rip doug..

SmallJaw

I was one of those young guys in the 70's that was jumping on the BASS bandwagon when I learned of Dough Hannon. I bought every magazine and watched every show I could get of him and his self discovered science on big bass. He fueled the giant bass furnace in many of us. He pioneered a lot of tactics that many who go out fishing every day use, yet have no clue where it all came from. RIP Doug. You were the man!:sad